Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Hume City - 7:30 KO - 19/08/2014

THB

Any sort of pub/pregame being organised?

there is no pub near enough in the area for all of us to meet up and march from it......the closest one is 3-3.5 km away in Coolaroo/Dallas area. Im not sure if we are going from there but I'm sure the organisers will have something up their sleeve for a pre-match meet! .

• Like 1

Definitely going, I'm hearing the club are looking at giving Koren at least 45min...  so would be good to see how the boys back up from the disappointment of the FFA cup...

I'm expecting a big score ... no pressure on this game so boys should play out of there skins...

Broadmeadows. Not for me.

I once drove to Sunshine to watch a game of football.

When I returned to my car after the game the hub caps had been taken.

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb. It's a shit pit like werribee.

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.

It's a shit pit like werribee.

Either way, there's no where in Melbourne where it's reasonable to fear someone fucking with your car if you park it and leave it for a couple of hours.

Just make sure you have those anti-theft screws on your number plates though :up:

Broadmeadows, like Sveti Albans/Sunshine is becoming better as much of the scum is shifting out to Craigieburn/Melton.

• Like 1

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.Broadmeadows, like Sveti Albans/Sunshine is becoming better as much of the scum is shifting out to Craigieburn/Melton. Easy fella I'm moving out to Melton next year cause the land is cheap as haha but Yeh agree with craigeburn Edited by drewmelbcity

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.Broadmeadows, like Sveti Albans/Sunshine is becoming better as much of the scum is shifting out to Craigieburn/Melton.Easy fella I'm moving out to Melton next year cause the land is cheap as haha but Yeh agree with craigeburn

Was gonna post saying no disrespect to my Melton brethren. I know people who are well off and living in both Melton/Crud but I'm sure you all know what I meant.

Anyone attending? 

Well it's the one and only chance we'll have to see the team playing in Melbourne (barely) until Round 2 of the HAL season. Not much respect to the fans.

They've put offers out to melbourne clubs, but it's harder than people think to get games. They have either already committed to a victory game, don't have the facilities (lights, good pitch, enough room etc) or they aren't interested. That's why regional areas often get the pre-season games because it's a big deal for them and the councils push hard to help clubs host. For a lot of the bigger city clubs it's not in their interests to host a games and they um and ah a lot and don't fully commit. 

And nope, it's not just a theory I have, it's info from talking to an actual person that is involved in these things. Not involved with City, but negotiating with them and that's what he discovered after talking to other metro clubs.

Hopefully next season they will either get in early and beat victory to the teams that want games or down the track they can develop LaTrobe so they can host the practice matches themselves and teams just have to show up. 

• Like 1

It's not as simple as just walking in and kick someone off their ground to play. That's the problem the club faces when you're home ground gets used for other sports in winter. You have to move around. If you have a council and club that is going to push hard to host, the club and FFA they are going to take it. I doubt they had a host of metro clubs coming to them saying 'please play on our pitch'. In Bendigo were not playing on our pitch for the next few weeks just to make sure it's good enough for the City match. Travelling around to some of the NPL games not all the pitches have faired well with the rain over the last few months. They might of looked at options but didn't want to take the risk at the condition of the pitch or teams not willing to budge (which I don't blame them).

There's lots of factors that come in to play. I was looking at grounds and set ups for FC Bendigo's game the other day and there's a lot of things that come in to play, and that's just a practice match let alone an FFA CUP match with two A-league teams. The FFA was probably more than happy to push the game in ballarats direction. 

And it was just ballarat, not like they were travelling to albury or anything.

The club might of been able to push harder, but after hearing and looking at some of the factors that come in to play for matches, I wouldn't be surprised if other options they had been looked at and ruled out before they just decided to go to ballarat.

• Like 2

Then they should have fought harder to play the FFA Cup game here in Melbourne. What a ridiculous idea playing it midweek in Ballarat.

Ballarat was a success (bar the result). One of the fellow Melburnians said it was a great turnout and in fact there were more there for the pre-game at Ballarat than sometimes at the imp.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

No doubt it was successful however I'm sure that the attendance would have been greater than 2800 here in Melbourne. From a strategic POV, playing the first competitive home game in Melbourne would have been good marketing and a possible recruitment opportunity, especially as we don't even get to open the season at home (yet again)

• Like 1

No doubt it was successful however I'm sure that the attendance would have been greater than 2800 here in Melbourne. From a strategic POV, playing the first competitive home game in Melbourne would have been good marketing and a possible recruitment opportunity, especially as we don't even get to open the season at home (yet again)

I am not so sure about that. If anything, there would have been more Sydney supporters, the Jets v Glory game had less than 2800 from memory (I am trying to track down the number) and that was in Newcastle. 

Edit: number was 2,877 

Edited by Dylan

It's not as simple as just walking in and kick someone off their ground to play. That's the problem the club faces when you're home ground gets used for other sports in winter. You have to move around. If you have a council and club that is going to push hard to host, the club and FFA they are going to take it. I doubt they had a host of metro clubs coming to them saying 'please play on our pitch'. In Bendigo were not playing on our pitch for the next few weeks just to make sure it's good enough for the City match. Travelling around to some of the NPL games not all the pitches have faired well with the rain over the last few months. They might of looked at options but didn't want to take the risk at the condition of the pitch or teams not willing to budge (which I don't blame them).

There's lots of factors that come in to play. I was looking at grounds and set ups for FC Bendigo's game the other day and there's a lot of things that come in to play, and that's just a practice match let alone an FFA CUP match with two A-league teams. The FFA was probably more than happy to push the game in ballarats direction. 

And it was just ballarat, not like they were travelling to albury or anything.

The club might of been able to push harder, but after hearing and looking at some of the factors that come in to play for matches, I wouldn't be surprised if other options they had been looked at and ruled out before they just decided to go to ballarat.

Overall, I think it's good for our game to have A-league teams play in regional centres during the pre-season. It's a boost to the local community and gets the game vying for media attention alongside the traditional winter sports - and in regional centres of Victoria where the AFL is dominant. I like the idea of taking games like our match against Adel to places like Alice Springs. In time if we got more aboriginal players into our game I reckon it'd make a great impact in the HAL and eventually the Socceroos - much the same way they have made a great impact in the AFL. Tremendous athleticism and just sheer instinct, knowing what to do with the ball and when.

I don't have problems with us playing games outside Melbourne, in fact living outside Melbourne myself, I support it. I do think that our first competitive home game as a rebranded franchise (playing the same shit football) should be played at home, for our own home fans. In particular it's more important as it was against HAL opposition.

Seeing other results, I think the ffa cup is hardly official to the bigger clubs lot of star players missing from all clubs that have played. I have my views of how the ffa has handled the competition but for now I'll keep it to myself cause I'm sick as a dog from Tuesday night cbf writing out a essay, but in a sentence, they haven't thought the competition layout through properly and it is a manipulated draw to ensure state league teams go deep into competition.

Edited by drewmelbcity

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.It's a shit pit like werribee. Either way, there's no where in Melbourne where it's reasonable to fear someone fucking with your car if you park it and leave it for a couple of hours.

Just make sure you have those anti-theft screws on your number plates though :up: Park at Melton train station and try your luck ;)

Never actually seen anything to justify the reputation Broadwmeadows has TBH, seems like a nice quite suburb.It's a shit pit like werribee. Either way, there's no where in Melbourne where it's reasonable to fear someone fucking with your car if you park it and leave it for a couple of hours.

Just make sure you have those anti-theft screws on your number plates though :up: Park at Melton train station and try your luck ;)

If I didn't find my car on bricks all those times I parked it pretty much overnight at St Albans train station so I had a way to get home from the night rider, I doesn't afraid of parking anywhere :up:

I have expensive tires too, someone could have bought a decent amount of crack with them.

• Like 2

I went to Ballarat to watch the game. While I'm fine with the idea of playing regional games, we are Melbourne City, why was our first ever competitive game not played in the CITY!!!!!

This is what I have a major issue with. We were the home team. It should have been played at AAMI.

If they want to play pre season games all over the country side then so be it, but competitive fixtures should be played at home.

As someone said elsewhere, the condition of aami is so poor it can't hold a football match, apparently. But yes, it would be good if they found somewhere closer to home for that particular game.

Keep forgetting about the pitch condition, but yes agree. Should have been in Melbourne.