Melbourne Football

International Champions Cup 2015

Cinnamon

Not sure I agree with you Niko. The main reason i reackon for the booing was they felt ripped off. Now most on here knew what to expect and took it for what it was but i think at least 60k of the crowd were expecting something like they watch on tv early in the mornings. 

It's been promoted as champions trophy and some sort of prestigious cup but it's just a training session. I seriously think their sessions at La trobe would have been more intense. 

It is cringe worthy to boo the players but I think the fault lies with how it was presented and priced but tbf if it was done any other way they wouldn't get the crowd and therefore the event would fail. 

It will be interesting to see if this will be an annual thing or will collapse once the masses realize what it actually is.

Having been to these "exhibition" matches in the past and being more than disappointed every time and ending up vowing to never again to go such a match especially when played at an AFL ground...I have not been to one for a number of years now. I have a different view to that of the FFA which seems to think that these matches help the sport grow locally, and I actually believe the opposite. Eurosnobs and other theatregoers are so bitterly disappointed with the experience that any interest in football they might have had is actually diminished and therefore any lingering thought they might have had about getting involved with the A-League is also diminished, or extinguished altogether.

Unfortunately the noises from our Premier's Office indicate that we're going to try and get this tournament here in the future. It won't help the local game one little bit.

• Like 1

Having been to these "exhibition" matches in the past and being more than disappointed every time and ending up vowing to never again to go such a match especially when played at an AFL ground...I have not been to one for a number of years now. I have a different view to that of the FFA which seems to think that these matches help the sport grow locally, and I actually believe the opposite. Eurosnobs and other theatregoers are so bitterly disappointed with the experience that any interest in football they might have had is actually diminished and therefore any lingering thought they might have had about getting involved with the A-League is also diminished, or extinguished altogether.

Unfortunately the noises from our Premier's Office indicate that we're going to try and get this tournament here in the future. It won't help the local game one little bit.

good point

Eurosnobs will be Eurosnobs, whereas the FFA Cup in targeting grassroots football has had the complete opposite effect in helping to build the profile of the game here in Australia.

• Like 1

Went to the roma city game. Watching Silva in the flesh is something else.

Had free tickets to go last night and holy shit he was amazing.

Thought it was actually a pretty good game too, some horrible defensive mistakes but the players actually looked like they gave a fuck compared to the real game at eitihad.

I will say though the dickheads who spent the whole game making and throwing paper planes on the field need to fuck off. If the games so boring that your making paper planes and throwing them then get up and leave. No ones forcing you to be there.

Edited by kingofhearts

Having watched a couple games today in U.S and the game last night starting to warm to this concept. Still just pre season games but think that my earlier bagging and condemnation was unwarranted. As long as its not over hyped.

Having watched a couple games today in U.S and the game last night starting to warm to this concept. Still just pre season games but think that my earlier bagging and condemnation was unwarranted. As long as its not over hyped.

Would you say that it's more interesting in the U.S. because local clubs are involved? In our case, the timing will always mean that our local clubs are in pre-season and most if not all will not have finalised their squads for the coming season, making them less competitive even if they participated.

Would you say that it's more interesting in the U.S. because local clubs are involved? In our case, the timing will always mean that our local clubs are in pre-season and most if not all will not have finalised their squads for the coming season, making them less competitive even if they participated.

Yeah probably. Although the Fiorentina PSG second half was okay. Maybe a local involvement adds something, but as pre season preparation a mix would be cool.

• Like 1

I agree mate, I had active area for city so I was close to the attacking half for city in the first half and watching Silva was something special. And getting to witness sterling's first goal for city was nice as well.

it was great that he shutup the liverpool fans

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/almost-100000-fans-pack-mcg-for-real-madrid-and-manchester-city-clash/story-fni0fit3-1227456150967

A quote read: "Melbourne City fan Peter van Vliet declared on Twitter that the big crowd showed Melbourne had embrace the round-ball sport."

Publicity!!! We will get +10 members tomorrow because of this! Munn, get onto this asap!

• Like 1

Was too tired from sitting at the 'G seeing all the flogs doing the mexican wave and throwing paper planes around... 

the paper planes is a symbolism of what's wrong with society, you have million dollar players performing in front of 99,000 people and you get excited and entertained by paper airplanes trying to fly from the top tier to the pitch? People are just so caught of internet fads that people are no longer willing to be individuals but rather sheep cause they are too lazy to come up with their on form of entertainment. 

• Like 1

the paper planes is a symbolism of what's wrong with society, you have million dollar players performing in front of 99,000 people and you get excited and entertained by paper airplanes trying to fly from the top tier to the pitch? People are just so caught of internet fads that people are no longer willing to be individuals but rather sheep cause they are too lazy to come up with their on form of entertainment. 

What you're really saying is that it doesn't really matter how good the "performance" is -  if the audience has no emotional connection to that "performance" then it won't hold their attention. A minority of the crowd would have had a real connection to football, and an even smaller minority would have had a real emotional connection to the two clubs playing. Hate these exhibition matches and gave up going long ago.

2nd half of last fridays game was pretty much both teams reserves/youth, neutrals want to see the better players play most of the game, not going to happen and fans will be pissed off because tickets were so expensive

chuck in channel 9 putting aguero in the commercial and he didn't even make the trip down to australia after doing fuck all in the copa america  

• Like 1

I thought the tournament as a whole (I went to all three) was great. There were some aspects that I did not enjoy but overall I found it worthwhile. The paper planes were dreadful and symbolic of that "theatre goer" thing though. That and the banter I heard around me was reminiscent of matches 15 or more years ago in Melbourne. There was a real sense of the crowd being quite new to the sport. At least that's how I felt. That aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing who comes out in the coming three years. Hopefully Melbourne City are a part of it too.