Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

Our active area should turn around and do what we did at the derby.

Get GA on south end involved again this Friday.

I agree, it was pretty much the only positive out of the weekend's game.

Keep in mind that there were a fair few active members in GA that day because the active tickets sold out so quickly. I was spewing especially watching all those in the active bay who were just passengers or worse, Victory supporters...

Our active area should turn around and do what we did at the derby.

Get GA on south end involved again this Friday.

I agree, it was pretty much the only positive out of the weekend's game.

Keep in mind that there were a fair few active members in GA that day because the active tickets sold out so quickly. I was spewing especially watching all those in the active bay who were just passengers or worse, Victory supporters...

It was so bad seeing people in active just standing there, knowing people were on level 3 who would sing the whole 90. Plus the tards in there was infuriating.

what was even worse on L3 was the retard in a Heart top who, when they went up 4 or 5 to 2, threw his half empty beer cup at a Victory supporter who was there with his kids and another one of our supporters then having a go at him, made us look pretty immature IMO...grow up. They really have to look into segregation of fans, because things will only get more heated. 

best part of the derby was the split level chants, was great to watch, and in future games when more ppl get into it it'll be great. HSV have one like this, from 2.25 in the clip below. Would also be great, but need to in the two bays involved. 

Also for what it's worth, I think that we should focus on chants with minimal lyrics involved, i've downloaded the melburnians app, but it's difficult to know the tune's, and some just aren't good. I know you guys are putting together some stuff for youtube to help put with that, here's an example from my team in Germany, this video helped me out a fair bit as mien Deutsch war bedauerlich. Coincidently I used to always love the chant beginning at 2.15. 

Edited by ae7smith

Wellington at 5?!

The only chant i ever hear them sing is 'same old aussies, always cheating'

I guess taking your shirt off and showing your fat beer gut is the key to having a great active area. :up:

The guy's a tards supporter, big surprise we're at 10 and they're at 1.

In all honesty we haven't done much to prove other wise  :ph34r:

best part of the derby was the split level chants, was great to watch, and in future games when more ppl get into it it'll be great. HSV have one like this, from 2.25 in the clip below. Would also be great, but need to in the two bays involved. 

Also for what it's worth, I think that we should focus on chants with minimal lyrics involved, i've downloaded the melburnians app, but it's difficult to know the tune's, and some just aren't good. I know you guys are putting together some stuff for youtube to help put with that, here's an example from my team in Germany, this video helped me out a fair bit as mien Deutsch war bedauerlich. Coincidently I used to always love the chant beginning at 2.15. 

Re: second chant .. that's the tune to the 'By the rivers of Babylon' song, similar to the one I suggested a while back, see link below. Oh dear! All this while I thought my idea is an original one..

Good chants tho..,, Me Like!

Might be biased but i only rate rbb, north terrace, the cove and maybe the den ahead of us. We are definitely better than glory, mariners, united, jets and phoenix

Yeah I agree.

RBB clearly first, everyone knows that.

NT second, Cove third.

Den are a pile of shit... B... R... I... S... BSHUTTHEFUCKUP

i honestly thought The Cove were better round 1 than NT were at the derby, just because you let off the most flairs doesnt make you the best. Clearly written by a tard.

Was done by people's opinions on twitter.

Past the tunnel it was hard to know it was going on, I reckon only a handful of peeps in perm A on that side were even aware there were others on the wing getting involved. I think we might have been attacking at the time too which kept people in that section glued to the game.

I can definitely see it improving next time, good first time imo

Okay so disappointing result last night, but lets focus on the active support.

pros:

the new flags looked amazing

the lads at the back yelling duff man ooooooh yeah

we love you chant

the hard work by the capo and loud noise by the couple of rows around him

cons:

noise level was really low

middle part of the terrace was barely chanting, which made it hard for people towards the back of active to hear what the capo and those at the front were chanting

megaphone is really unclear

lack of player chants, particularly kisnorbo, villa, paartalu

lack of other chants such as i just can't get enough, come on you boys in white call and response chant

chants felt too repetitive, especially we are Melbourne, all though i love it

Melbourne city you are our side chant, just doesn't work

people just in active standing. I can never understand this. If you're not going to sing then why would you want to stand up? Just sit down but out of active terrace!

i know there's a lot of negatives but its only round 4 of a new terrace so we will get louder each week, just need to work on a few things. Well done to the capo, you're doing a great job

• Like 3

Getting the fans above and directly either side of the active area worked so well. I was blown away that it was then extended to the wings. The seeds are sown and I can see this taking off. Well done to the active Melburnians for getting all of the Melburninas involved!

Okay so disappointing result last night, but lets focus on the active support.

pros:

the new flags looked amazing

the lads at the back yelling duff man ooooooh yeah

we love you chant

the hard work by the capo and loud noise by the couple of rows around him

cons:

noise level was really low

middle part of the terrace was barely chanting, which made it hard for people towards the back of active to hear what the capo and those at the front were chanting

megaphone is really unclear

lack of player chants, particularly kisnorbo, villa, paartalu

lack of other chants such as i just can't get enough, come on you boys in white call and response chant

chants felt too repetitive, especially we are Melbourne, all though i love it

Melbourne city you are our side chant, just doesn't work

people just in active standing. I can never understand this. If you're not going to sing then why would you want to stand up? Just sit down but out of active terrace!

i know there's a lot of negatives but its only round 4 of a new terrace so we will get louder each week, just need to work on a few things. Well done to the capo, you're doing a great job

As a person not in active, to me there seemed to be a new chant every couple of minutes, if anything id say it felt like there was to much chopping and changing. One thing that I think adds to atmosphere is the familiar sounds you hear at the game when your team is playing. Its something I notice the more recognised groups seem to do well. BTW this is not a criticism in anyway, just some feedback from someone who thinks this new group has started really well and is on a very promising path.

For me there is a comfort associated with hearing certain chants as a supporter and i think as a player as well (feeling like you are at home because you have the familiar pulse of particular sounds/chants.)

Thats my observation anyway. All in all, top job, especially when you think its only our 2nd home game, very impressive.

• Like 1

What do you think of Adelaide?

SHIT.

What do you think of shit?

ADELAIDE.

Thank you.

THATS ALRIGHT

Came across during a pause in the game and silence from the commentators.. sounded great on TV!

adelaide fans were singing that about melbourne all through the night...

and they were right

Loved the atmosphere in the active area last night, well done to the melburnians.

Love the ale ale ahu chant!

Agree, would love to see more player chants and also more spontaneous chants, some felt too forced.

Are we still doing dale cavese btw?

Also, I think the come on you boys in red worked well between bays/wings.

Well done last night once again, keep up the progress

So i wanted to put my input in too.
I've been an active member since season 2 - always try to stand close to the capo so i can hear him the best. I sat in GA last night because i brought a friend to the game for the first time, so she could only get a GA ticket - we were in Bay 17 up the back... 

• I thought the very first We Are Melbourne, We Are City chant with the tifo was awesome especially how long it lasted. GA was clapping along, and many people were singing. 
  • No one (from GA) really sang SHT, i was really surprised, always sounds very loud when I'm in the terrace. 
  • Chanting speed and length was HEAPS improved since a fortnight ago! 
  • I agree with a lot of posts here, More player chants would be good. 
  • I liked the Ole Ole Call Response chant but my thoughts on it are
        - No one in the GA knew the chant, so they weren't really sure what to do. 
        - The second attempt (before it moved to the wings) what i think happened there is that the active got everyone to stand up, then something happened in the game and GA sat back down, so it lost all its momentum when we tried to get the chant going, then i was the only one standing trying to respond... 
    Because of this, i think it would be good to go from Bay17 to Bay16 first, then Bay17 to Bay18. then go backwards to the GA... 
    I also think it will grow the more people hear and learn the chant.
  • As i was just recalling that, i remember the Stand up chant has changed. Now its just "stand up. stand up. stand up." maybe we could change it back to "Stand up, stand up, stand up for the heart" - Just a thought.
  • I thought we did the "We Are Melbourne" chant too often. Its a good chant but when it starts up again i think "oh this one again - we do this too much", Especially because about half the teams in our league to a version of it (granted i think ours is the best) 
  • The bloke's chanting whatever they were chanting up the back actually annoyed me. It felt like they were there to do their own thing - Respect the Capo boys. 
  • The Capo did an awesome job! Especially when he made the comment about everyone bitching on FB about the Man City chants! That got me pumped too!

Excited for next sunday against the Mariners i can get back to the Active and lose my voice again :D 

p.s. I just want to clarify - I really enjoyed getting a new perspective on the Melburnians, so these were just my observations/thoughts about it. Take it, Leave it. I appreciate that we have this forum (both senses of the word) where i can give my input. 

• Like 4

I just want to point out the reason why we are doing the We are Melbourne chant is because it is one everyone knows and in these early rounds I want to make as much noise as possible we are going to be getting chant sheets printed and the songs recorded in the next couple of weeks then I will start to introduce the other new songs I have and then people will be able to learn them easier. Player chants noted I realized after game that im not doing enough so will see improvement in that next game. Thanks for all the feedback 

• Like 4