Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

Hey lads this is my first post since I'm quite new to the forum so I hope to get involved in the threads quite a bit from now on.

Who was that young guy walking up and around the aisles with the microphone doing that really good chant? (Forgot what its called my bad!) In my opinion we need that to happen more as he seemed really experienced at it, and it really got the active and GA bays chanting, also it helped the people in GA understand more what the chant was saying and motivated them more to do the chants and get involved.

• Like 1

Hey lads this is my first post since I'm quite new to the forum so I hope to get involved in the threads quite a bit from now on.

Who was that young guy walking up and around the aisles with the microphone doing that really good chant? (Forgot what its called my bad!) In my opinion we need that to happen more as he seemed really experienced at it, and it really got the active and GA bays chanting, also it helped the people in GA understand more what the chant was saying and motivated them more to do the chants and get involved.

Was our capo for much of last season

isnt that an rbb song? one sounded very similar...

Yes, the RBB do have a song to the same tune but it's a song used by probably half of Europe and even South America.

Wonderful atmosphere guys! I know some people are critical but ask them for some constructive feedback, and they will freeze. Now here's my feedback based on today's match, MCFC V Newcastle Jets, 19 October. I don't mind if we are using similar tune to RBB so long as the chant is clear and distinct from them but I also wish we have something that none other clubs in the league are using like the one below. I also like We are Melbourne, We are City and This is city.. this is how it feels to be small chants. Capo did a great job tonight, well done boys! At times, cause others are talking around me, seriously guys if you want to talk about your trip overseas, this is NOT the time, I can't hear/see you so perhaps another capo in all 3 bays to coordinate? It will ensure that everybody gets the message that the active area is standing room only, chanting and singing is a must!!! Also, while I like our history name called Hearts, IMO we need to stick to 'City' when singing otherwise we risk an identity crisis! Like I said in the past, I would so love to see one day our club to have supporters like the one below but all in due time and the success on the field is important too to have a sustainable supporter base!

I was the one who suggested the Vamos Chico chant to be used hopefully the capo will try and use it for the derby this would go off the way I proposed it on this forum.

I just hope Beardedheart is ontop of this for this particular one :)

Yes, the RBB do have a song to the same tune but it's a song used by probably half of Europe and even South America.

Wonderful atmosphere guys! I know some people are critical but ask them for some constructive feedback, and they will freeze. Now here's my feedback based on today's match, MCFC V Newcastle Jets, 19 October. I don't mind if we are using similar tune to RBB so long as the chant is clear and distinct from them but I also wish we have something that none other clubs in the league are using like the one below. I also like We are Melbourne, We are City and This is city.. this is how it feels to be small chants. Capo did a great job tonight, well done boys! At times, cause others are talking around me, seriously guys if you want to talk about your trip overseas, this is NOT the time, I can't hear/see you so perhaps another capo in all 3 bays to coordinate? It will ensure that everybody gets the message that the active area is standing room only, chanting and singing is a must!!! Also, while I like our history name called Hearts, IMO we need to stick to 'City' when singing otherwise we risk an identity crisis! Like I said in the past, I would so love to see one day our club to have supporters like the one below but all in due time and the success on the field is important too to have a sustainable supporter base!

I was the one who suggested the Vamos Chico chant to be used hopefully the capo will try and use it for the derby this would go off the way I proposed it on this forum.

Surely yesterday emphasised to you, that things like this will not just happen overnight. 2020 Derby Maybe. 

Surely yesterday emphasised to you, that things like this will not just happen overnight. 2020 Derby Maybe. 

Im working on it

My thoughts...

1) Yesterday's game just proved the point I've been trying to get across for the past 2 to 3 seasons.
Chant's with little to less words work. "We are Melbourne, We are City" is a perfect example, these pub chants we need to get rid of, sing them in the pub for a laugh but not in the terrace, they simply don't work.

2) The capo and the drum need to be positioned in the front row of the terrace, right in the middle. Don't know who's idea it was to stand right in the 4th or 5th row but regardless it will be more effective and this way everyone can see the capo and listen to him properly. Even asking the club to place a scaffold like the Den do in Brisbane will be awsome and definetly more effective rather than standing 4 or 5 rows in.

3) The chant list needs to be re worked and these videos or whatever the plan was needs to get done before the derby. Posted and spammed all over the forum, facebook, twitter etc to get everyone involved and knowing the chants.

• Like 3

My thoughts...

1) Yesterday's game just proved the point I've been trying to get across for the past 2 to 3 seasons.

Chant's with little to less words work. "We are Melbourne, We are City" is a perfect example, these pub chants we need to get rid of, sing them in the pub for a laugh but not in the terrace, they simply don't work.

2) The capo and the drum need to be positioned in the front row of the terrace, right in the middle. Don't know who's idea it was to stand right in the 4th or 5th row but regardless it will be more effective and this way everyone can see the capo and listen to him properly. Even asking the club to place a scaffold like the Den do in Brisbane will be awsome and definetly more effective rather than standing 4 or 5 rows in.

3) The chant list needs to be re worked and these videos or whatever the plan was needs to get done before the derby. Posted and spammed all over the forum, facebook, twitter etc to get everyone involved and knowing the chants.

Good point about having the capo front and centre. Will need to rid the front rows of the buket hat wearing 12 year olds first.

• Like 2

We are Melbourne, We are City was clearly the best and most participated chant of the day.

Sent tingles up my spine, spoke to a mate from work who was up in the nosebleeds and said he could hear it loud and clear, was perfect.

Security for the active area were cunts, eventually got in but took some effort.

If we want to sing, let us in!!

My thoughts...

Good point about having the capo front and centre. Will need to rid the front rows of the buket hat wearing 12 year olds first.

Hey! I was on of the few people in the front who is actually an adult. Felt like I was a babysitter the amount of kids around. Need some help around me to get rid of them.

• Like 1

My thoughts...

Hey! I was on of the few people in the front who is actually an adult. Felt like I was a babysitter the amount of kids around. Need some help around me to get rid of them.

I'll help, 19 isn't too kiddy is it?

I can grow a beard if necessary

edit: although not a BeardedHeart beard

Edited by Nate

My thoughts...

1) standing halfway / two thirds of the way up the active section straight behind the goal, i thought the "we are Melbourne, we are City" worked very well.  quite simply, we seem to have a lot of newbies this season who want to get involved just dont seem to know the lyrics / know where to get them.  

as such, they seemed to get lost with the newer longer chants.  they did much better with the shorter simpler songs.  as far as i am concerned for immediate term, we should be looking to keep these shorter chants so that newer active members can pick them up quickly.  should help to get the more support / noise in the mean time.

2) agree wholeheartly

Posted something as an add on in the City-Newcastle forum this arvo (didnt realise there was a separate forum thread!!) and it looks like one or two others have already posted it here too; i think it would help to (a.) have a couple of people in the lead group to offer support the capo / rotate if need be, and (b.) if we had a couple of spotters around the the whole of the active bay area to boost chanting across the bay.

thought BeardedHeart did a great job yesterday, just thought there was a few times when he could have used a spare voice on occasions to start a few chants.  there were a few times there were a couple of lads around the bay who started a different (older) chant, and thought it went down well.  

i think if we had the spotters (and tried to do so at times with the newbies near me) the newer members could pick up the songs easier.  there were a couple of times where it was hard to pick up the songs / lyrics.  being new to some of songs myself (given there are some new songs and all) i thought if some of the more engaged fans are having trouble, then the new ones are going to find it even harder.

3) agreed.  IIRC from a pre season catch up at the Imp, another thing that would help would be to print a shit load of songlists to be put on every single seat before the game / distributed as people settle into their spot in the active bays.  

the songlist would need to be around a single sheet double sided (thinking either A4 or A5) so that the active bay members have the songs right in front of them in their hands if they need them.  that way, anyone who is not on here (blasphemy i know :D ) , facebook, etc.,  can still find the out about the songs.

as the active bay evolves, the songlist can adapt too. the simpler, easier songs might start on the list and can be changed for more current songs as most fans (at least you'd hope)  learn the more common / initial songs

for the record, i'd be more than happy to help with the printing of such songlists when i can make it.  i live in Mildura which is 500km + away, so i wont be making all home games since it is a bit far to do every Sunday or Friday game, but willing to help when able (FYI i drove home after the game - left the CBD at 5.45, didnt get in the front door until after 12am)

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

:lol:Love the We are Melbourne, We are City chant! one of my favourites. Just a question, has it ever been considered to begin that chant slowly and progressively speed it up?. Also I don't since in Active Area I sit on wing and when the 'We love you' chant happens, when everyone sits down then jumps up looks 10/10

My thoughts...

elieanid,.. thanks for your suggestion on the Vamos Chico chant.. keep those suggestions coming .. in the meantime, I totally agree with THB!

As most of us, myself included, is new to the active area, we need to keep the chant simple (i.e. less words and familiar tunes) for now until such time we are all comfortable with them, slowly and steadily we can then move on to the sophisticated ones!

Hence, my idea on 'O Come all ye faithful' and the 'By the river of Yarra' chants.

Even the chant we serve to the Newcastle players and fans on Emile Heskey works as it is simple and easy to follow. So more of this please! Perhaps a new topic for each club, not just in 'Away' topic?

Re: Kids in the Active Area..

I don't get why the club allow kids to be in this areas knowing that Bay 15 -17 are Active Areas so I was surprised as most of us here. Is there a way we can feedback this to club? Perhaps a petition maybe? 

I don't mind them attending, after all, they are the ones who will grow up and hopefully stay faithful to the club but having them in Active Area .. REALLY??? THERE WILL BE LOTS OF SWEARING !!! I blame the parents as well!!

Thoughts??

+1 re 'We are Melbourne, we are City'.

And yep, simplicity works best, and whilst I think there were some good moments yesterday, some chants were waaaay too fast (ie 'Tifosi' and 'We Love You') and I like the idea of doing what the RBB have done with their youtube chants. Smashing social media with lyrics too is also a must. 

Also, no doubt the second half was MUCH better than the first half.

My thoughts...

elieanid,.. thanks for your suggestion on the Vamos Chico chant.. keep those suggestions coming .. in the meantime, I totally agree with THB!

As most of us, myself included, is new to the active area, we need to keep the chant simple (i.e. less words and familiar tunes) for now until such time we are all comfortable with them, slowly and steadily we can then move on to the sophisticated ones!

Hence, my idea on 'O Come all ye faithful' and the 'By the river of Yarra' chants.

Even the chant we serve to the Newcastle players and fans on Emile Heskey works as it is simple and easy to follow. So more of this please! Perhaps a new topic for each club, not just in 'Away' topic?

Re: Kids in the Active Area..

I don't get why the club allow kids to be in this areas knowing that Bay 15 -17 are Active Areas so I was surprised as most of us here. Is there a way we can feedback this to club? Perhaps a petition maybe? 

I don't mind them attending, after all, they are the ones who will grow up and hopefully stay faithful to the club but having them in Active Area .. REALLY??? THERE WILL BE LOTS OF SWEARING !!! I blame the parents as well!!

Thoughts??

Can't really talk about the kids, i was 13 when i first got my active supporter membership. Turning 18 in a month now ahhaha time flies 

Don't mind if they're there as long as they chant.

I'm 15 and this is my second year having an active membership, don't think that's a problem as I'm always chanting for 90 minutes.

I got in not long after the gates opened and in the first couple of rows of bay 17 I saw many parents with there kids who were around 10 who did not chant and who moved seats at around the 30th minute and left almost a whole row empty (got filled up minutes later though) these are the sort of people who ruin it not the kids who are in the area because most chant, it's mainly the ones with there parents

First post on here, long time Heart/City man. 3rd year active area.

My thoughts from yesterday.

1. Too many kids has been mentioned and its spot on. Its hard to gain a level of intensity in an active area when you are positioned around a bunch of kids and their grandpas. The club needs to open a family end or corner on the North Side or something surely. Get them outta there. It just makes it awkward.

2. The capo is doing his best, but I have grave fears about his ability to gee up a crowd. I can't get behind him at the minute. When the other bloke took over the mic he immediately got the place up and about. I felt as though he was louder and did it with authority. Also If I see "respect the capo" posted on the Melburnians facebook page once more I'm going to punch someones head in. The capos role is a leader of men. Leaders don't say "respect me", they earn it. If he doesnt earn it, no one will ever get behind him. Its a tough job, and I want to get behind him... But he's gotta work at leading us better.

3. Don't try too many new chants that no one knows... Work your way into it. Maybe 1 or 2 new ones eventually phasing out the Heart ones.

• Like 2

The "Melbourne City you are our side, we used to wear the red and white..." Should just be scrapped.

Agreed, along with "Fuck All The Rest" yep spot on! both of these should be scrapped.

Yeah they have to go. I don't mind the swearing but it seems a little try hard and we have a group that's coming up with some catchier and more clever chants so these can make way for them.

The "We are Melbourne, We are City" chant worked fantastically well yesterday. "So Happy Together" also worked, it's no surprise that the bigger the crowd the more chance songs like this can be a success. "We are Melbourne, and we will be the greatest team this city has seen" is always a winning chant too.

We need the crowd to participate as much as possible and I think we can achieve this by keeping chants simple to start with. It was great having one of The Melburnians roaming around with the megaphone, this helped getting the rest of the crowd behind the goals involved. It was a good look seeing the bays either side of the central active bay standing, even if it was the last 10 minutes, it's a big improvement!

Visually we need new flags, using some of the old ones like the Engelaar one now look out of place. Some of the Heart chants do feel out of place as well, so maybe sticking to the most iconic ones occasionally during key moments is the way to go.

Agreed. Start simple then build it up from there.

The "We are Melbourne, We are City" chant worked fantastically well yesterday. "So Happy Together" also worked, it's no surprise that the bigger the crowd the more chance songs like this can be a success. "We are Melbourne, and we will be the greatest team this city has seen" is always a winning chant too.

We need the crowd to participate as much as possible and I think we can achieve this by keeping chants simple to start with. It was great having one of The Melburnians roaming around with the megaphone, this helped getting the rest of the crowd behind the goals involved. It was a good look seeing the bays either side of the central active bay standing, even if it was the last 10 minutes, it's a big improvement!

Visually we need new flags, using some of the old ones like the Engelaar one now look out of place. Some of the Heart chants do feel out of place as well, so maybe sticking to the most iconic ones occasionally during key moments is the way to go.

Agreed. Start simple then build it up from there.

My thoughts...

I was the other adult in the front row!! Come find me next home game and we'll run em out of there. Also, I agree with the Capo positioning. He needs to be front and centre in the first row so everyone knows where to look.

It's the misinformed people with kids who buy active tickets and then complain because they didn't do a basic level of research which irk me the most. 

If you stand, chant and participate then I'm not really phased.

I'm 15 and this is my second year having an active membership, don't think that's a problem as I'm always chanting for 90 minutes.

I got in not long after the gates opened and in the first couple of rows of bay 17 I saw many parents with there kids who were around 10 who did not chant and who moved seats at around the 30th minute and left almost a whole row empty (got filled up minutes later though) these are the sort of people who ruin it not the kids who are in the area because most chant, it's mainly the ones with there parents

Nate - couldn't agree with you more. These people have bought active area memberships thinking that it's the same as being in an AFL cheer squad. It is very different and they will realise that very quickly.

Cityzen - this will sort itself out pretty quickly. The people that don't want to be active will drift off to the side and quickly be replaced by those that want to participate.

I was the other adult in the front row!! Come find me next home game and we'll run em out of there. Also, I agree with the Capo positioning. He needs to be front and centre in the first row so everyone knows where to look.

deal. then we shall drink beer together

ive got one for the victory derby

"this old man said be a victory fan

I said fuck off, your a scummy cunt
i'd rather shit in a bucket with a big hole in it
then be a victory fan for just one minute"

then we re-sing it with slow wide claps!

we can do it 4 times, every 2nd and 4th time with the clap

deal. then we shall drink beer together

Yes we shall!!

Highs:
We are Melbourne, We are City - We have found a chant here. 

Lows:
'You are a Wanker Chant' - Its not Cricket.
'Emile Heskey Left coz Your Shit' - Would have more meaning if Emile had an actual impact at Jets. Don't think the Jets gave a fuck he left.
To much focus on Victory - Save that for a Derby.