Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

Ok so I'm gonna go off a bit of drunk memory here:

Mooy mooy mooy I liked and thought was good.

kalmAr chant was good

Some chant about winning the league and city was good

The one that had fuck a lot was good (fuck sydney and tards etc)

I liked that we kept some old chants and referenced heart. I was disappointed that we didn't hear come on you boys in red (white) and a few people around me were as well.

On a negative note: I found that some chants that said city sounded like Sydney. I love the "what do we think of Sydney", "shit" chant but imagine from the other end of the ground they hear "shit" quietly then "Sydney" louder as it picks up. But then the we hate Sydney part trails off.

Overall I feel there was a lack of commitment from the supporters. I saw a bunch of people in the new melbournians scarves just watching and not getting involved. With the supporter base we had there tonight we should have been louder. The thingo hanging over the fence looked good.

I am a supporter who's sat behind the terrace to the right for the last for years.

• Like 3

Ok so I'm gonna go off a bit of drunk memory here:

Mooy mooy mooy I liked and thought was good.

kalmAr chant was good

Some chant about winning the league and city was good

The one that had fuck a lot was good (fuck sydney and tards etc)

I liked that we kept some old chants and referenced heart. I was disappointed that we didn't hear come on you boys in red (white) and a few people around me were as well.

On a negative note: I found that some chants that said city sounded like Sydney. I love the "what do we think of Sydney", "shit" chant but imagine from the other end of the ground they hear "shit" quietly then "Sydney" louder as it picks up. But then the we hate Sydney part trails off.

Overall I feel there was a lack of commitment from the supporters. I saw a bunch of people in the new melbournians scarves just watching and not getting involved. With the supporter base we had there tonight we should have been louder. The thingo hanging over the fence looked good.

I am a supporter who's sat behind the terrace to the right for the last for years.

youre right @Recclosaurusrex about the supporters on the fenceline not wanting a bar of chanting, hopefully at Aami Park we'll see better supporters there and too be honest not everyone was there that could of made the trip. it was the best out of the situation. @Beardheart man you deserve an applause and it was a pleasure to meet ya and the rest of core.

Im with @Recclosaurusrex here I do love the "what do we think of sydney" could be a lot more better with a lot more people and enticing them not to tail off at the end and just sing it out till it stops.

everything else is all practice, discipline and organisation. We'll get there :)

Edited by elieanid
  • Like 1

Lastly. It could have been that people didn't know the words but I thought that megaphone dude, I assume it's BeardedHeart tried the best he could. Mate, I'm gonna buy you a beer if we ever meet. But, like I said, it's hard to work when people don't cooperate.

There's one chant I liked but can't remember for the life of me now. It mentioned melburnians but it did change from time to time (it may be the winning the league chant). If I can clarify which one that one was I think it's a definate keeper from a non active supporter perspective. I believe it was a 4 line chant with line 2 and 4 changing?

Haha, you should have done a sneaky edit :)

I think that's all I've got for tonight in terms of feedback on the chants. Overall I was happy with the mix of new and old. The new ones will pick up momentum in due time. After all this was the first outing and they are still being road tested so not everyone will know them straight away. I really like how many old chants are being kept. My fiancé I feel is a good example of why because she would playfully sing along to the old chants with me despite being a casual supporter of last year only. I may be paraphrasing here but she said that; "even though the club has changed names and colours it was nice to see the supporter group have stuck around and are still as loyal as they were last year."

It was pretty poor tonight, but I think thay's because of the cold/lack of practice/not being at AAMI Park, and I think it'll pick up pretty quickly. Really liked a few of the new chants and loved hearing some of the old ones, BeardedHeart you're a fucking boss and I owe you a beer great work!

Edited by GreenSeater

First of all, BeardedHeart, you did an awesome job as Capo! I'm excited to follow your leadership this season.

I Loved Uh lelele, but I think it needs jumping :D
Same with Shalala lalala lalala. the first one we did where the "ooh's" were still with out the drum then the drum picked up & we were jumping was good. has that party vibe. 

Sydney haters was good & fun but we still need to work on the timing of the last bit :D

I think our most fun chants are the ones that are an in joke on the night.. "Where's your towel at?" "We're stealing your towel"
the one that will forever stick in my memory is "Two balls on the pitch, two balls on the pitch" then when the second ball was removed "One ball on the pitch" i think that was 2 years ago now. 

I still think we need more player chants. Mooy & Duff chants are sick. I think we should use player chants to fill in silences, like if we notice a lul then choose a player and start singing his chant. Similarly, we need chants for Ramsey, Murdocca?, James Brown, Stefan Mauk.. Whatever we think of the quality of the player, they should still have chants because they play for us...

Also, BeardedHeart, there was a chant that you tried and wrote off pretty quickly, the "Thinking about you, You're thinking about me, Thinking about Melbourne, Thinking about City".. I would have joined in if i knew the words (had to check another forum post for the words), but we only had one crack at it. I think thats a good one because the tune at the end i could get involved with though i didn't know the words to the first part. 

I think we should still reference ourselves as Heart to ensure that the nickname will stick around. The "Clap Clap ClapClap ClapClap HEART!" chant, "You are in my Heart" etc...

That's my feedback anyway! Cant wait to start this season with the Melburnians! 

'Uh le le le' worked well, the player chants everyone needs to learn before they are used (reading the forum, app, youtube vid etc) therefore i don't think they worked, it was good that you started the classics but the new (non-player) chants needed to be tried more (Dortmund call/response, Cmon melbourne shalala etc). I know that it was shit conditions and all but it shouldn't stop the terrace from making noise.

Also... 

I'm not having a dip at you when i say this @BeardedHeart but you need to get more people involved, like you did with the 'We love you' chant when you got everyone down etc. Just because people bought Melburnian scarves doesn't mean that they'll be getting involved. I personally think you should of been setup where everyone was standing, same with the drum and to have pushed every up on the hill (yeah conditions are shit but i slipped on the march and got covered in mud but hey shit happens), this way everyone would of gotten more involved and it would of created more of an atmosphere. So hopefully we can set up in the stands for the Hume game, pretty sure they have a stand and get these chants released or get this app made or whatever the core is doing for the chants, post and pin then to the public section get EVERYONE to learn them, spam the fuck out of them on the Facebook page etc.

I hope yourself or anyone don't take offence or anything, still killed it as the capo but more discipline and structure is need with the setup of the terrace and chants on game day.

:up: :up:  :up:

Edited by THB

I was going to stand on the hill so we could get everyone incvolved but i also wanted tobe next to the new drummers so we could talk and start gettinmg the chants down packed.

I hear what your saying. I was using last night as a bit of fun start getting the new songs out there . It will get better and we will be massive.

Come round 1 we will kill it in sydney . Then round 2 We are going to rock AAMI

• Like 1

I was going to stand on the hill so we could get everyone incvolved but i also wanted tobe next to the new drummers so we could talk and start gettinmg the chants down packed.

I hear what your saying. I was using last night as a bit of fun start getting the new songs out there . It will get better and we will be massive.

Come round 1 we will kill it in sydney . Then round 2 We are going to rock AAMI

Yeah fair enough!

What's the go for the Hume game next Tuesday? 

First of all, BeardedHeart, you did an awesome job as Capo! I'm excited to follow your leadership this season.

I Loved Uh lelele, but I think it needs jumping :D

Same with Shalala lalala lalala. the first one we did where the "ooh's" were still with out the drum then the drum picked up & we were jumping was good. has that party vibe. 

Sydney haters was good & fun but we still need to work on the timing of the last bit :D

I think our most fun chants are the ones that are an in joke on the night.. "Where's your towel at?" "We're stealing your towel"

the one that will forever stick in my memory is "Two balls on the pitch, two balls on the pitch" then when the second ball was removed "One ball on the pitch" i think that was 2 years ago now. 

I still think we need more player chants. Mooy & Duff chants are sick. I think we should use player chants to fill in silences, like if we notice a lul then choose a player and start singing his chant. Similarly, we need chants for Ramsey, Murdocca?, James Brown, Stefan Mauk.. Whatever we think of the quality of the player, they should still have chants because they play for us...

Also, BeardedHeart, there was a chant that you tried and wrote off pretty quickly, the "Thinking about you, You're thinking about me, Thinking about Melbourne, Thinking about City".. I would have joined in if i knew the words (had to check another forum post for the words), but we only had one crack at it. I think thats a good one because the tune at the end i could get involved with though i didn't know the words to the first part. 

I think we should still reference ourselves as Heart to ensure that the nickname will stick around. The "Clap Clap ClapClap ClapClap HEART!" chant, "You are in my Heart" etc...

That's my feedback anyway! Cant wait to start this season with the Melburnians! 

Yep, "we are the Sydney (pause) haters" is how it sounds best in my opinion. It was it was getting a little strung together, kicked off well though.

There were quite a few good chants and it must be said that BeardedHeart did an excellent job, so well done mate! :up:

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of involvement from those up on the hill. As long as the people standing in and around Active (in AAMI) get involved then we'll create a brilliant atmosphere!

Also, was that ""Thinking about you, You're thinking about me, Thinking about Melbourne, Melbourne City" the Ladadida chant BH? If it was I think that has the potential to be absolutely awesome if we persevere with it!

Edited by King Malta

• 2 months later...

The timing of some chants was a little off at times, at about the 92nd minute when we were looking really dangerous and the boys needed a big fire-up we sung a really slow and uninspiring rendition of Shalalala.

I also missed a few of our old chants today, "Stand Up For Your Heart" is a favourite of mine which always geed up the fans in both active and GA.

The timing of some chants was a little off at times, at about the 92nd minute when we were looking really dangerous and the boys needed a big fire-up we sung a really slow and uninspiring rendition of Shalalala.

I also missed a few of our old chants today, "Stand Up For Your Heart" is a favourite of mine which always geed up the fans in both active and GA.

Agreed

We are Melbourne, We are City has to be a staple now... 

Moved to lvl 2 after first half to meet up with some old mates - that chant was by far the loudest.

Yeah has potential to be our flagship chant

I agree. I have to admit, I was a bit suss about this one but it worked fantastically and sounded amazing. There was an issue with the bay to the right of the goal not getting involved and I think this is the chant that can be used to get them going. Short and simple, it's a good one to use for those that are new to active support. I know other teams use it, but I have no doubt we can make it our own and what better place to put our stamp on it than at the derby this week.

isnt that an rbb song? one sounded very similar...

Yes, the RBB do have a song to the same tune but it's a song used by probably half of Europe and even South America.

Wonderful atmosphere guys! I know some people are critical but ask them for some constructive feedback, and they will freeze. Now here's my feedback based on today's match, MCFC V Newcastle Jets, 19 October. I don't mind if we are using similar tune to RBB so long as the chant is clear and distinct from them but I also wish we have something that none other clubs in the league are using like the one below. I also like We are Melbourne, We are City and This is city.. this is how it feels to be small chants. Capo did a great job tonight, well done boys! At times, cause others are talking around me, seriously guys if you want to talk about your trip overseas, this is NOT the time, I can't hear/see you so perhaps another capo in all 3 bays to coordinate? It will ensure that everybody gets the message that the active area is standing room only, chanting and singing is a must!!! Also, while I like our history name called Hearts, IMO we need to stick to 'City' when singing otherwise we risk an identity crisis! Like I said in the past, I would so love to see one day our club to have supporters like the one below but all in due time and the success on the field is important too to have a sustainable supporter base!

Edited by raw10
  • Like 1

isnt that an rbb song? one sounded very similar...

Yes, the RBB do have a song to the same tune but it's a song used by probably half of Europe and even South America.

Wonderful atmosphere guys! I know some people are critical but ask them for some constructive feedback, and they will freeze. Now here's my feedback based on today's match, MCFC V Newcastle Jets, 19 October. I don't mind if we are using similar tune to RBB so long as the chant is clear and distinct from them but I also wish we have something that none other clubs in the league are using like the one below. I also like We are Melbourne, We are City and This is city.. this is how it feels to be small chants. Capo did a great job tonight, well done boys! At times, cause others are talking around me, seriously guys if you want to talk about your trip overseas, this is NOT the time, I can't hear/see you so perhaps another capo in all 3 bays to coordinate? It will ensure that everybody gets the message that the active area is standing room only, chanting and singing is a must!!! Also, while I like our history name called Hearts, IMO we need to stick to 'City' when singing otherwise we risk an identity crisis! Like I said in the past, I would so love to see one day our club to have supporters like the one below but all in due time and the success on the field is important too to have a sustainable supporter base!

http://youtu.be/jMI7Jg86qOYCouldn't agree more. Some teething problems(to be expected), but overall a great debut for the Melburnians. I also agree with your idea about the capo moving about or having some help in the outer bays. There's a thread called Active Area Ideas( full disclosure, I started it!!!) where I suggested the following:

Have some people from the core organising group( I'm happy to pitch in and help) go to the outer bays and explain that we need them to stand and sing. Make them feel included rather than yelling at them for not participating. Most of them want to join in they are just too shy to ask!! Get the capo with the megaphone to start some chants from the outer bays and people will get on board. This happened once last year and it works. Or put some of the organisers in each bay to help co ordinate some chants.

I don't want to bang on about it, but I think we are missing a great opportunity to build a really strong active area and we should at least have a crack at it.

Edited by troyboy

Yeh capo on the move is a good idea. I think also it's ok to tell the person next to you off if they're not chanting. People need to know expectations of active support.

People need to know expectations of active support.

need to know expectations of active support.

know expectations of active support.

expectations of active support.

Yeh capo on the move is a good idea. I think also it's ok to tell the person next to you off if they're not chanting. People need to know expectations of active support.

I may get absolutely smashed on this one.  But what about having 2 capos. Or another person on a megaphone on either side of the active? Even if its the 1 capo and the other one just getting everybody revved up following the capo?

The "We are Melbourne, We are City" chant worked fantastically well yesterday. "So Happy Together" also worked, it's no surprise that the bigger the crowd the more chance songs like this can be a success. "We are Melbourne, and we will be the greatest team this city has seen" is always a winning chant too.

We need the crowd to participate as much as possible and I think we can achieve this by keeping chants simple to start with. It was great having one of The Melburnians roaming around with the megaphone, this helped getting the rest of the crowd behind the goals involved. It was a good look seeing the bays either side of the central active bay standing, even if it was the last 10 minutes, it's a big improvement!

Visually we need new flags, using some of the old ones like the Engelaar one now look out of place. Some of the Heart chants do feel out of place as well, so maybe sticking to the most iconic ones occasionally during key moments is the way to go.

I may get absolutely smashed on this one.  But what about having 2 capos. Or another person on a megaphone on either side of the active? Even if its the 1 capo and the other one just getting everybody revved up following the capo?

1 Capo, Leads the masses. Ask yourself, are you in active? do you have a voice? why not rev the people around you up? it's simple really. 

1 Capo, Leads the masses. Ask yourself, are you in active? do you have a voice? why not rev the people around you up? it's simple really. 

Bloody oath, Don't get me wrong ill leave with no voice after every game. Couldn't go active yesterday had my little girl with me lol... I am with you people need to know the expectations of active support. Was more so trying to throw the idea if there is another figure there near these people they may feel they have to chant more. Not trying to upset the balance or anything. Im damn well happy with how it all is lol