Melbourne Football

NBL Thread

JoyfulPenguin

Thought I'd start a thread for the NBL seeing as I couldn't find one.

Who do people support/supported? Anyone care about the NBL anymore?

Was a South Dragons fan and don't really support anyone atm apart for a slight leaning towards the Hawks.

Might support the new Melbourne team Basketball Australia is trying to bring in in 2015.

Was a massive Magic fan way back when, my dad used to take me to watch them most weeks. Retained a TINY bit of interest (but stopped going to games) when they became the Titans, when they became the Giants I stopped caring at all.

Still got frames of Bruce Bolden and Adonis Jordan hanging in the lounge room. If the Magic still existed I'd still regularly go to games, sad really.

Edited by King Malta

Always hated the tigers cause all their fans were cunts and playing against their junior rep teams every single kid i met who played for them was a cunt.

I was a big south dragon fan back in the day but once they folded i focused more on the Big V (VFL basketball equivalent) then i ever have on the nbl.

These next 10 years are absolutely critically for the NBL, Australias just about to pump out some elite level basketball talent in the next couple of years, so if the league can't capitalise on that then they never will be successful.

Was originally an Eastside Spectres fans. Had Dean Uthoff come to my primary school and he signed my Spectres ball. Went on with the Magic, but lost interest when the NBA became the 'cool' thing.

Apparently the Spectres merged with South Melbourne Saints. I must have just ignored the fact they changed from Westside! Kinda makes more sense to me now that they became South East Melbourne!

One of my most vivid memories of going to the NBL was being at a North Melbourne Giants v Westside Saints. Naturally the Giants were going to win when towards the end of the game a Saints player went on a fastbreak. He tried to dunk the ball but didn't get up high enough so the ball hit directly on the rim, and he ended up flat on his back! God the Saints were shit!

Also, Bruce Bolden was a beast!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Was originally an Eastside Spectres fans. Had Dean Uthoff come to my primary school and he signed my Spectres ball. Went on with the Magic, but lost interest when the NBA became the 'cool' thing.

Apparently the Spectres merged with South Melbourne Saints. I must have just ignored the fact they changed from Westside! Kinda makes more sense to me now that they became South East Melbourne!

One of my most vivid memories of going to the NBL was being at a North Melbourne Giants v Westside Saints. Naturally the Giants were going to win when towards the end of the game a Saints player went on a fastbreak. He tried to dunk the ball but didn't get up high enough so the ball hit directly on the rim, and he ended up flat on his back! God the Saints were shit!

Also, Bruce Bolden was a beast!

I followed the Supercats and Spectres fan but I ended up a Magic fan when I moved South East (Which I was more into due to this being when the game was huge) but I lost interest when we merged with the Giants and became the Titans. 

I always hated the Giants because of those shitty teal Hornets kits the Giants started to wear circa 1993 to cash in on the NBA craze.

Also Bruce Bolden's double handed bounces at Free Throws was easily the greatest thing to happen in NBL history.

Had been a Tigers fan during my younger day when Gaze, Copeland and Bradtke were tearing shit up. Even scored Warwick Giddey's warm up jacket, made by quality brand Pony.

I have the 1989 VFL Grand Final record that had an advert of Gaze Endorsed Pony's with a pic of him playing at the Glasshouse.

FWIW I have always wanted a pair of Pony Linebackers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post this here, looked into this a little more and apparently at the time this was posted there were rumblings that the NBL would be willing to revive the Magic...

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1fpo74geu6um21ockbi947osw2

The National Basketball League has commenced a formal process to establish a new South East Melbourne club as part of its expansion plan for the 2015/16 season.

An advertising campaign was launched in Victorian newspapers today calling for expressions of interest from prospective licence holders.

The South East Melbourne area, together with other selected regions, has been identified as a potential location within the expansion program.

It is intended to focus primarily on scheduling games throughout the shires of Dandenong, Casey, Knox and Cardinia.

This is the second EOI process initiated by the NBL since announcing its plan to introduce more teams into the League in 2015/16.

Expressions of interest have previously been called for from potential Tasmanian regions.

NBL Chief Executive Fraser Neill has proposed a bold expansion plan that would see the addition of 8 new teams over the next five years.

Persons, entities or organisations wishing to be involved in the establishment of an NBL team in the South East Melbourne region are asked to register their interest with the NBL.

Just thought I'd post this here, looked into this a little more and apparently at the time this was posted there were rumblings that the NBL would be willing to revive the Magic...

The National Basketball League has commenced a formal process to establish a new South East Melbourne club as part of its expansion plan for the 2015/16 season.

An advertising campaign was launched in Victorian newspapers today calling for expressions of interest from prospective licence holders.

The South East Melbourne area, together with other selected regions, has been identified as a potential location within the expansion program.

It is intended to focus primarily on scheduling games throughout the shires of Dandenong, Casey, Knox and Cardinia.

This is the second EOI process initiated by the NBL since announcing its plan to introduce more teams into the League in 2015/16.

Expressions of interest have previously been called for from potential Tasmanian regions.

NBL Chief Executive Fraser Neill has proposed a bold expansion plan that would see the addition of 8 new teams over the next five years.

Persons, entities or organisations wishing to be involved in the establishment of an NBL team in the South East Melbourne region are asked to register their interest with the NBL.

If this goes through then NBL time for me again next year!
  • Like 1

If this goes through then NBL time for me again next year!

Same here, would love nothing more than Magic re-birth.

For a while they were talking about having a second Victorian team down at Kilsyth, don't know what happened to that bid but if the magic came back i'd be all over that.

Josh Childress to the Sydney Kings is a great pick up.

Perth signing Deandre Daniels is a great pick up as well. Perth will go back to back unless their are some injuries.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 07/10/2015, 20:18:41, kingofhearts said:

Wish they had a second Melbourne team :(

On 08/10/2015, 01:00:23, Jimmy said:

So true. Following the one rebranded club with an identity crisis in the stands is more than enough.

On 08/10/2015, 11:27:16, ChuckaBandit said:

also doesnt help when i cant stand some of the players

Still keen for that second Melbourne team. Just hope it's not the Tigers.