Melbourne Football

The Glory Hole Crypto Pyramid (Perth Thread)

Dylan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMO it's unfortunate that this salary cap issue is being played out in the media. I don't care whether it's Perth Glory, Melbourne City or any other league club. Find out the facts, if guilty determine and apply the penalty before it's all chewed over in the media.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about the sorts of "punishments" that should be handed out if Perth are found to have deliberately concealed payments to players and/or exceeded the salary cap.

I'm not really in favour of fining the "club." Each franchise receives a substantial payment from FFA each season, so to fine one of your own franchises really means that overall you pay that one a little bit less in one particular season. Further, the players involved are culpable either by omission or commission, and they escape any punishment if only the club is fined.

IMO the best option is to let the regular season finish, and if Perth do finish in the top six then exclude them from the finals series. However, I don't think that the seventh-placed team should replace them; instead FFA should revert to a final five for this season only.

Just a few thoughts. However, at this stage Perth is innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by jw1739

I have mixed feelings about the sorts of "punishments" that should be handed out if Perth are found to have deliberately concealed payments to players and/or exceeded the salary cap.

I'm not really in favour of fining the "club." Each franchise receives a substantial payment from FFA each season, so to fine one of your own franchises really means that overall you pay that one a little bit less in one particular season. Further, the players involved are culpable either by omission or commission, and they escape any punishment if only the club is fined.

IMO the best option is to let the regular season finish, and if Perth do finish in the top six then exclude them from the finals series. However, I don't think that the seventh-placed team should replace them; instead FFA should revert to a final five for this season only.

Just a few thoughts. However, at this stage Perth is innocent until proven guilty.

I agree that the players should also be punished, if it can be proven they knew what was going on (obviously if they're receiving their salary through a third party or whatever then they know something dodgy is going on, but things like car/travel/accommodation benefits they don't necessarily know that's dodgy, for all they know it's being declared.

I agree that the players should also be punished, if it can be proven they knew what was going on (obviously if they're receiving their salary through a third party or whatever then they know something dodgy is going on, but things like car/travel/accommodation benefits they don't necessarily know that's dodgy, for all they know it's being declared.

I understand your argument and I would agree with it for Rugby League or Australian Rules, where you are talking about Australian players who have grown up with the concept of a salary cap, but for football that is not the case.  The Perth case seems to centre around Keogh, who would have never been in a salary cap competition before and the whole concept would be foreign to him.  

As to fines, well whatever the FFA does, it has to punish the crime (if proven) enough to make it not worth the risk of doing it.   

Dear .......

Perth Glory would like to clarify a number of matters following the publication of recent erroneous and damaging media reports in relation to the club’s salary cap.

The club can confirm, it has not made any payments to a player through a third party for all or part of this current Hyundai A-League season.

The club can also confirm, all payments to its players, coaches and administration staff are made directly by the club’s finance department, and recorded in its accounts which are independently audited and submitted to the FFA annually.

All involved with Perth Glory FC, its members, sponsors, supporters and fans can be assured the club’s response to Football Federation of Australia’s second “Show Cause” notice will look to clarify its disclosure of all its payments to players.

The club will continue to work with the FFA in an open and transparent manner.

The club is confident it will address all the allegations raised by the FFA by the close of business Wednesday April 8, 2015.

Perth Glory FC remains firmly focussed on its next match against the Newcastle Jets on Easter Monday, and would also like to take this opportunity to wish our members a very happy Easter

Sincerely,

Email sent to Glory members. Seems the club think they've done nothing wrong.

According to the newspapers this morning Perth have renegotiated the contracts of two players so that they will receive no further payments this season and those payments will be deferred until next season. The club is reported as likely to admit to certain of the charges laid by FFA.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/perth-glory/perth-glory-expected-to-accept-some-charges-over-aleague-salary-cap-breaches-20150408-1mgz0r.html

It's really just a question now of what punishments will be meted out to the club.

According to the newspapers this morning Perth have renegotiated the contracts of two players so that they will receive no further payments this season and those payments will be deferred until next season. The club is reported as likely to admit to certain of the charges laid by FFA.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/perth-glory/perth-glory-expected-to-accept-some-charges-over-aleague-salary-cap-breaches-20150408-1mgz0r.html

It's really just a question now of what punishments will be meted out to the club.

Mitch Nicolls loan terminated and sent back to Japan

official on a-league site, what a dud

official on a-league site, what a dud

Said to be for disciplinary reasons.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/perth-glory/perth-glory-terminate-contract-of-mitch-nichols-for-disciplinary-reasons-20150409-1mhdao.html