Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

Can I make a suggestion that in future all information that is discussed between FRG and the club is relayed back to us via email? I take it a lot of information may be withheld either by FRG or the club itself due to the knowledge that that information will be available to the open public online. I feel this sort of information should only be privy to the members of the club.

• Like 1

When I know that a meeting is on I usually send TA a comment or two, as I did this time on the Cityzens program. The notes show that my comment was covered in the discussion.

IMO the conduit should be kept open, but perhaps it needs rejuvenation and transparency. I am not sure that the existence of the FRG or the outcomes of any of its meetings is now reported by the club at all, so I'm guessing that many of our current members/season-ticket holders do not know about the existence of the Group or what it does. Probably the best-informed are those on this Forum.

1. The club has changed in the past year. IMO we should have an updated list of FRG members (supporters and club) and an opportunity to change the representation if that is appropriate.

2. A list of meeting dates.

3. A set of boundaries for the Group.

4. A defined mechanism for putting forward comments/ideas/suggestions etc.

5. A proper report-back from the club and some sort of action plan if an action is agreed to.

Can I make a suggestion that in future all information that is discussed between FRG and the club is relayed back to us via email? I take it a lot of information may be withheld either by FRG or the club itself due to the knowledge that that information will be available to the open public online. I feel this sort of information should only be privy to the members of the club.

Lol. First thing after the email is sent out someone will post it on the forum. Makes no difference.

In the lead up to any meeting, if anyone on this forum has any 'hard' questions, I am happy to table.  

From experience, having attended all FRG meetings, there is certainly no fear or issues with asking the hard questions and most FRG meetings are robust and honest in terms of discussions and matters raised.  

At the latest meeting, I believe there was a win for supporters in that the Villa debacle was tabled and the club formally acknowledged within the meeting that the matter should have been handle better.

"There was no information coming from the club on this change in arrangement. It was felt that some fans felt almost “cheated” or that the club was not up front with its Members. Honest communication with the fans on this occasion was lacking.

Most of the feeling from the group was that it would have been better to let us know either way about the length of time Villa would be with us. Silence on this matter from the club caused the media and fans to speculate.

Also, it was noted that Villa could have communicated better with fans and there was a definite level of disappointment within the crowd when he just walked past fans down the race in his final game.

The club acknowledged that while they didn’t even know the exact time frame Villa would spend at Melbourne City, and that it could have been anything up to 10 games, the lines of communication should always keep Members updated. Family reasons and club commitments with our sister club NYCFC were cited as the reasons Villa stayed for only the four games. While Heart is now City the culture of looking after our Members still remains and obviously everyone involved at the club wanted Villa to stay longer."

To me, this was a good outcome from the meeting.

Niko, the club is not prepared to issue the notes from these meetings, so there is no way the group could e-mail to all members.  It has been discussed that this website is the best mechanism to distribute the notes (and thanks to Tesla for making this happen).

JW with the ownership changing, elements of the groups Terms of Reference are no longer current.  At the next meeting, the group will discuss this in more detail, and my view is that this would then be published once again (the old TOR were published on the Melbourne Heart website) on this website.

My observation from sitting in the group is that the members of this forum do not necessarily represent the majority view for most supporters, as probably the majority views expressed here tend to be overly critical or reactionary.  I am not saying that the views on this website are bad, and I personally will side with the consensus of this forum, but regulars on here need to realise that consensus on this website will not necessarily be the consensus of the majority.  There have been times in meetings when I have put forward a view that aligns with a majority position on the forum, and the majority of the group has disagreed, for instance, in the early days when this forum started calling for JAs head.

Edited by Torn Asunder

Well then it should be removed if they do. I'm sure as a moderator you have the power to do that. And perhaps followed by a ban. I think more should be done to keep things like this privy to us as members.

Is there anything that indicates that the FRG is only for members? I would have thought non-member supporters feedback on why they aren't members is just as critical.

If the club is really concerned about keeping feedback private, then they'll do their own surveys through focus groups. 

Well then it should be removed if they do. I'm sure as a moderator you have the power to do that. And perhaps followed by a ban. I think more should be done to keep things like this privy to us as members.

This isn't the only website on the internet.

And no, I'm not going to delete the post and ban people :droy:

• 2 months later...

FRG meeting tonight at the Imperial before the game.  One of the topics to be covered is 'Culture'.  I will also raise issues with regard to club communication and information about & access to open training sessions, and after match functions (things that were promised as part of certain membership deals, but have been poorly delivered).

"The inside information he had had had had no impact on the eventual outcome."

• Like 1

TA, if you can, please:

1. Citizens, as above.

2. The exclusive training session for Premium A members being held at a time when almost no-one will be able to get there, especially the young members (where our future lies).

There are lots of other things, but overall IMO it would be better to raise a smaller number of items and actually get them fixed than to bring up so many that nothing actually changes.

I would also like to suggest that each meeting end with an "action plan" on which is listed the item, the date at which it is raised, the action(s) to be taken, when they are to be taken by, and who is accountable for actually taking them. The first agenda at the next meeting is then to make sure that the action plan has been adhered to. A lot of experience in OHS in industry tells me that otherwise it is very unlikely that anything will actually happen.

• Like 2

To be fair and i dont know much (as per usual). But Wednesday seems like the most suitable time to guarantee a training session.With away games and recovery sessions etc. I think they generally train in the mornings. Only thing it could of be done during school holidays.

Anyone who has a better understanding of the normal routine the squad follows could enlighten us.

They could split it up to different times and you register. Spread over few sessions or days

That's so blindingly obviously the way to do it that it is too simple for the "fan engagement" department. Have a bit of an introduction to how training is organised, a tour through the Academy, and a look at training with one of the assistant coaches telling us what is specifically happening. Wouldn't be hard to have two groups of 20 people, two per 2-hour training session, each group taking about an hour.

Also as it looks like we won't be playing finals, it would be better if we can have the "bring a friend" for the rest of the season so our crowds don't drop under 5k

Will the club also supply balaclavas and shotguns to help recruit our "friends"?

Shotgun is a bit of overkill, baseball bat and zip ties, along with the balaclavas, usually does the job.

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic