Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

Hi

If anyone engages with the Club I have a few issues to raise.
Actually they have been raised before but no feedback was given. A number of months ago I was part of a focus group seeking feedback about fans and their perceptions of the club.

The key issues for me are as follows.

1. The main issue is the closure of the upper stand on the east (Richmond) side of the ground. How do the club think they will attract new fans if they offer a poor viewing experience for general members? A new fan coming along is shunted to one end of the ground which we would all agree is a poor viewing experience. I realise that the club want to sell premium seats for greater revenue but that philosophy only really applies where demand for seats exceeds supply. We have the reverse situation here where due to the fact that GA members are shunted to the poorest seats there is no growth in crowd numbers. 

The solution is to open the upper tier east side to GA attendees and GA members. That's a great value proposition for the public and will look good on Foxtel. Yes there may be a slight drop in revenue due to some people who would otherwise buy premium A and B seats gravitating to the upper deck but the tradeoff is that there will be growth in crowd numbers and members and more importantly the patron experience will be significantly enhanced.

2. Food prices. The AFL has tackled this. The club should too, even if it has to open its own food outlets outside the ground.

cheers Peter

Edited by TheStig

@TheStig I can only respond as I per my post two months ago.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, jw1739 said:

I am not a member, but I post the minutes when they are sent to me by someone who is - or was perhaps.

AFAIK there has not been a meeting since February 2018.

Prima facie it looks as though the FRG has died.

If there's anyone on here who is a member, could they please respond?

If you were a member of a Focus Group but have not seen any follow-up I can only suggest that you contact whoever ran the Group and ask what happened as a result of the Group's discussions.

4 hours ago, Hanz said:

When is the next one of these? The club is a shambles and is quickly losing the supporter base along with its players. 

The club can’t wait until next season to address the coaching issue. Fans will jump to Western United...

bro we'll gain more supporters when we win the championship this year 

15 hours ago, Hanz said:

When is the next one of these? The club is a shambles and is quickly losing the supporter base along with its players. 

The club can’t wait until next season to address the coaching issue. Fans will jump to Western United...

The FRG has all the appearance of being moribund. AFAIK it has not met since February 2018. When Munn says he is aware that the club is not connecting with fans as well as it used to, and that the club is trying to do something about it, he is being more than a little disingenuous. A vehicle for communication exists, but the club does not use it. It may not be a perfect vehicle, but at least it is - or was - something.

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 31/03/2019 at 0:41 PM, Hanz said:

Does this still thing exist?

@Hanz To my knowledge has not met since February 2018. Has all the appearances of having been killed off with no publicity.

Why not call the membership line, ask the question, and post the answer on here?

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

So Sydney have shared the minutes of their FRG meeting from August 2023.

https://sydneyfc.com/fan-representative-group-minutes

I find some of the ideas cringe, like creating themed games in line with US sports. I also like some of the ideas like creating safe standing areas at all venues, alligning ticket prices across the league.

The biggest thing for me is that the club are being transparent with their fans about the FRG.

What is our club doing?

9 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

So Sydney have shared the minutes of their FRG meeting from August 2023.

https://sydneyfc.com/fan-representative-group-minutes

I find some of the ideas cringe, like creating themed games in line with US sports. I also like some of the ideas like creating safe standing areas at all venues, alligning ticket prices across the league.

The biggest thing for me is that the club are being transparent with their fans about the FRG.

What is our club doing?

Very good question. According to APL each club was supposed to be forming such an FRG. Invitations to apply for membership of ours were made, but AFAIK there has been no further word from the club on who's on it, results of any meetings it has had, etc. etc. In other words, total silence on the subject.

Even if the club is not prepared to give members any information, APL should be doing it.

Perhaps it's just another thought bubble, or perhaps too hard for the "team" at APL. https://aplfootball.com.au/our-business/leadership-team/
https://aplfootball.com.au/our-business/board/

They must be so busy, all of them.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

21st September. Nice of City to let all members know and possibly contribute to the next meeting?

I think that negates the point of fan representative group. The logical move is allowing supporters to know which fans represent us at these meetings, so if we have issues we could theoretically bring it to them to put forward. However I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

What I plan on doing is contacting the club and requesting to get the minutes of these meetings made available to all paying members, such as Sydney have done.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I think that negates the point of fan representative group. The logical move is allowing supporters to know which fans represent us at these meetings, so if we have issues we could theoretically bring it to them to put forward. However I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

What I plan on doing is contacting the club and requesting to get the minutes of these meetings made available to all paying members, such as Sydney have done.

Yes, that was my point really - to go through the members of the FRG. Didn't express it clearly- apologies.

30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But who selected and appointed these fans to represent us?

Surely you're not expecting democracy at CFG? 

Good question though, I would like to know who the FRG comprises of as you'd like to think there's a good spread demographically of fans.

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Surely you're not expecting democracy at CFG? 

Good question though, I would like to know who the FRG comprises of as you'd like to think there's a good spread demographically of fans.

Anyone in contact with the Talking City boys? Like to know if any of the TC boys are on it.

We may be misinterpreting the word "representative" of course. I'm guessing that City are using it in the sense of "representing a demographic cross section of the City supporter base" whereas it could be interpreted as "representative" in a democratic sense, that is how all supporters can get their views to the club.

My guess is that it is the former, so from a City perspective there's no need to tell anyone else who's on it. The former is open to manipulation by the club, the latter is not.

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Anyone in contact with the Talking City boys? Like to know if any of the TC boys are on it.

We may be misinterpreting the word "representative" of course. I'm guessing that City are using it in the sense of "representing a demographic cross section of the City supporter base" whereas it could be interpreted as "representative" in a democratic sense, that is how all supporters can get their views to the club.

My guess is that it is the former, so from a City perspective there's no need to tell anyone else who's on it. The former is open to manipulation by the club, the latter is not.

We have one representative on it that is reporting back to the group.

• Like 2