Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just wanted to get this on the agenda again. Does this group still function? The reason I ask because the latest topic put up by the club on "City Voice" is whether the club itself should get involved in "the creation or design of...flags" (and banners) at home matches. I would have thought that this is something that could go though the FRG and/or discussed directly with the Melburnians leadership.

That's a pretty interesting topic. I don't think they should be directly involved, however I think they could look at doing something like what the Newcastle United fans group Gallowgate Flags are doing. Like Melburnians they are 100% independent of the club but have the club's full backing. The club actually helps to promote the group via social media and club magazines and helps them to raise money for more flags, displays and banners without actually contributing themselves as to remain independent. http://www.gallowgateflags.co.uk/#bio-section

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just wanted to get this on the agenda again. Does this group still function? The reason I ask because the latest topic put up by the club on "City Voice" is whether the club itself should get involved in "the creation or design of...flags" (and banners) at home matches. I would have thought that this is something that could go though the FRG and/or discussed directly with the Melburnians leadership.

Hey JW, I'm pretty sure the group is still functioning and has a meeting upcoming in the next few weeks.

As far as the design and creation of flags/banners, this is something we like to keep separate and self-funded (via donations and merchandise sales) as a terrace. 

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

Hey JW, I'm pretty sure the group is still functioning and has a meeting upcoming in the next few weeks.

As far as the design and creation of flags/banners, this is something we like to keep separate and self-funded (via donations and merchandise sales) as a terrace. 

That's what I thought. Might be an idea to convey that to the club, either via City Voice or direct to whomever you deal with there - before the idea of "club flags" gets canvassed too widely?

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's what I thought. Might be an idea to convey that to the club, either via City Voice or direct to whomever you deal with there - before the idea of "club flags" gets canvassed too widely?

Ah, I just re-read your post and see I missed the main point of it haha!

Will definitely have a word but the club is fairly clear on where we stand when it comes to issues like that, they're also pretty good about having conversations with us when things like this are brought up on a serious level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

As I stated on City voice I'm perplexed as to why the club is seeking the opinion of normal supporters. Almost feels like they're trying to go behind the melburnians. 

Some of the opinions on there a fucking clueless as well :droy: 

You'd think that people that are world leaders in the business of football would understand the basics of football culture and the mentality. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You'd think that people that are world leaders in the business of football would understand the basics of football culture and the mentality. 

Not necessarily. By and large CFG seems to me to have a "top-down driven" mentality and doesn't necessarily know very much about what makes the people at the bottom tick. Just as an example there have been several things raised on City Voice that the club seems to take no notice of whatsoever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not necessarily. By and large CFG seems to me to have a "top-down driven" mentality and doesn't necessarily know very much about what makes the people at the bottom tick. Just as an example there have been several things raised on City Voice that the club seems to take no notice of whatsoever.

Target is Homogenized support with less dependence on active areas. As season ticket holders numbers increase to levels required by the FFA, clubs and broadcasters we will all see stricter and less flexible rules applied to active areas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah that would pretty much be my take on them too, from all I've seen across the various CFG clubs over the last several years. When they need to they're reasonably good at taking steps that make it look like they're addressing issues, without actually ever doing what the fans are asking of them.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, bt50 said:

Surprised anyone even cares tbh. It was only ever lip service...

Not to tell the club stuff, like you say they don't give a.

Was an opportunity to find out what was happening though. Once upon a time approved minutes were released and our informal rep took notes and kept people up to date. I for one would appreciate if whoever goes maybe tries a bit harder to keep us in the loop? It's the only crumb the club gives us plebs.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group Meeting 28/08/17

In Attendance:

Club Staff: Luke Wyman, Scott Munn, Nick Becker, James Crouch (Retail), Travis Davidson (Membership)
FRG Members: Steve, Haydn, Michael, Glenn, Russell
Absent: Rodney, Matthew, Alice, Bridget, Natalie

The first FRG meeting of the season commenced with CEO Scott Munn introducing new members of both the FRG and Melbourne City staff as well as detailing the objectives of the group as being a two way sharing of information between club and fans.

At the time of the meeting Scott mentioned we had one foreign spot remaining to fill and that this would be a marquee. He also explained that due to work visas it was difficult to bring players. For example due to the relationship we had with Holland we could bring a Dutch player on a tourist visa and this can progress to a working visa, however as a point of comparison a Serbian player can’t come until the working visa is obtained. Therefore we‘re often linked to players but we can’t announce players until this is official otherwise we’d get in trouble with the visa people.

There are also two Australian spots left. Marcelo Carrusca is training with us for fitness but nothing is guaranteed and depends on the right deal. At time of the meeting the list was injury free (Bruno Fornaroli unfortunately injured himself the following night in the FFA Cup). Reports were that Fernando Brandan has worked hard and is ahead of schedule. Daniel Arzani has made the biggest leap to impress this preseason.

Warren Joyce has now settled in after initially having to adapt to our long preseason. He has managed to balance the requirements of shifting gears between a preseason and the FFA Cup. He has already stamped his “hands on managerial style” on and off the pitch. This includes spending extra time speaking with fans at sessions and events.

The Woman’s team start mid-September and while no names were revealed Scott said that the core playing group will be re-signed. There will be more double headers with the woman’s fixture to be released early September. Games will continue to be shared between CB Smith Reserve and AAMI Park.

Two boys teams will be added to the NPL next year bringing Melbourne City to a total of four teams in that competition going forward.

Nick then spoke about memberships where we’re at similar ground to this time last year with over 7 500 members. We have been working closely with our City Clubs for clinics and fan events as a response from fan feedback to engage more. We finished the 16/17 season with 13 078 members and are aiming for over 15 000 this season. This season’s membership campaign is “City to the core” with street posters and a digital campaign. 

The recent kit launch and Stomping Ground Brewery events went down well. The club is hoping that the desire to do things for the fans has come across. We’re looking at holding a similar event at Stomping Ground, mid-week during the week after the round one game (Likely to be a Tuesday or Wednesday).

The club is working on ways to keep evolving the match day offerings. We’re working on licensing for a new pop up bar in partnership with Stomping Ground Brewery to be sold at Gosch's Paddock prior to the game as well as Biggie Smalls, so we want fans to get on board!

James has joined the club recently and is in charge of merchandise. He mentioned that the fans have a chance to make their mark on the club with the recent competition to design a fans shirt.

For anything non Nike we are locked into licenses with Classic Sport who tend to cater for an NRL market, so we’re trying to change this up and customise for our fans. We have the same approach with the New Era caps, we’ll have say six hat designs for the season to choose from and this will include some limited editions to test the market. The idea is to offer street wear or designs you can wear outside of game day.

Official junior shirts will start at size six upwards. We are limited with each Nike license agreement to supply eight items per season and there are certain rules about what we can and can’t control. The club feels we have a good range and aim to have a point of difference that feels unique to city.

Membership packs have landed and will start to be sent out soon. For the very first time juniors will get a backpack with their memberships. A member of the Melburnians suggested a unique shirt or polo to be added to member packs next season. While this was considered a good idea Nick mentioned that we’re still restricted by official licences and that the quality of the product might suffer as a result so would rather have a good quality polo as official merchandise.

The club feel they have the perfect balance between home and away shirt designs this time around. Last season was polyester and before that was wool. You can still customise your membership photos however the suggestion was for members to get onto that ASAP. 

The TV coverage was discussed with the new free-to-air deal showing one Saturday night game a week on one of the Network 10 channels as well as the usual Foxtel coverage. The W-League will also show one game a week on 10 and an extra game on either 10 or the ABC.

Finally it was also announced that Luke Wyman who has been with the staff in charge of match day is moving on to a new position with Formula 1. Both the club and the FRG wish him the best and thanked him for contributing.

The next meeting is to be scheduled prior to season 17/18 kick-off. If fans have any queries or items they’d like to raise please contact membership@melbournecityfc.com.au

Kind regards,
The FRG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group Meeting 28/08/17

In Attendance:

Club Staff: Luke Wyman, Scott Munn, Nick Becker, James Crouch (Retail), Travis Davidson (Membership)
FRG Members: Steve, Haydn, Michael, Glenn, Russell
Absent: Rodney, Matthew, Alice, Bridget, Natalie

The first FRG meeting of the season commenced with CEO Scott Munn introducing new members of both the FRG and Melbourne City staff as well as detailing the objectives of the group as being a two way sharing of information between club and fans.

At the time of the meeting Scott mentioned we had one foreign spot remaining to fill and that this would be a marquee. He also explained that due to work visas it was difficult to bring players. For example due to the relationship we had with Holland we could bring a Dutch player on a tourist visa and this can progress to a working visa, however as a point of comparison a Serbian player can’t come until the working visa is obtained. Therefore we‘re often linked to players but we can’t announce players until this is official otherwise we’d get in trouble with the visa people.

There are also two Australian spots left. Marcelo Carrusca is training with us for fitness but nothing is guaranteed and depends on the right deal. At time of the meeting the list was injury free (Bruno Fornaroli unfortunately injured himself the following night in the FFA Cup). Reports were that Fernando Brandan has worked hard and is ahead of schedule. Daniel Arzani has made the biggest leap to impress this preseason.

Warren Joyce has now settled in after initially having to adapt to our long preseason. He has managed to balance the requirements of shifting gears between a preseason and the FFA Cup. He has already stamped his “hands on managerial style” on and off the pitch. This includes spending extra time speaking with fans at sessions and events.

The Woman’s team start mid-September and while no names were revealed Scott said that the core playing group will be re-signed. There will be more double headers with the woman’s fixture to be released early September. Games will continue to be shared between CB Smith Reserve and AAMI Park.

Two boys teams will be added to the NPL next year bringing Melbourne City to a total of four teams in that competition going forward.

Nick then spoke about memberships where we’re at similar ground to this time last year with over 7 500 members. We have been working closely with our City Clubs for clinics and fan events as a response from fan feedback to engage more. We finished the 16/17 season with 13 078 members and are aiming for over 15 000 this season. This season’s membership campaign is “City to the core” with street posters and a digital campaign. 

The recent kit launch and Stomping Ground Brewery events went down well. The club is hoping that the desire to do things for the fans has come across. We’re looking at holding a similar event at Stomping Ground, mid-week during the week after the round one game (Likely to be a Tuesday or Wednesday).

The club is working on ways to keep evolving the match day offerings. We’re working on licensing for a new pop up bar in partnership with Stomping Ground Brewery to be sold at Gosch's Paddock prior to the game as well as Biggie Smalls, so we want fans to get on board!

James has joined the club recently and is in charge of merchandise. He mentioned that the fans have a chance to make their mark on the club with the recent competition to design a fans shirt.

For anything non Nike we are locked into licenses with Classic Sport who tend to cater for an NRL market, so we’re trying to change this up and customise for our fans. We have the same approach with the New Era caps, we’ll have say six hat designs for the season to choose from and this will include some limited editions to test the market. The idea is to offer street wear or designs you can wear outside of game day.

Official junior shirts will start at size six upwards. We are limited with each Nike license agreement to supply eight items per season and there are certain rules about what we can and can’t control. The club feels we have a good range and aim to have a point of difference that feels unique to city.

Membership packs have landed and will start to be sent out soon. For the very first time juniors will get a backpack with their memberships. A member of the Melburnians suggested a unique shirt or polo to be added to member packs next season. While this was considered a good idea Nick mentioned that we’re still restricted by official licences and that the quality of the product might suffer as a result so would rather have a good quality polo as official merchandise.

The club feel they have the perfect balance between home and away shirt designs this time around. Last season was polyester and before that was wool. You can still customise your membership photos however the suggestion was for members to get onto that ASAP. 

The TV coverage was discussed with the new free-to-air deal showing one Saturday night game a week on one of the Network 10 channels as well as the usual Foxtel coverage. The W-League will also show one game a week on 10 and an extra game on either 10 or the ABC.

Finally it was also announced that Luke Wyman who has been with the staff in charge of match day is moving on to a new position with Formula 1. Both the club and the FRG wish him the best and thanked him for contributing.

The next meeting is to be scheduled prior to season 17/18 kick-off. If fans have any queries or items they’d like to raise please contact membership@melbournecityfc.com.au

Kind regards,
The FRG

Great information. Sounds like you talked more about the actual playing squad then usual in this meetings.

Luke is the red head right? Sad to see him go and will miss seeing him running around the edge if the pitch on Match Day. I wonder what his job at Australian GP Corporation consists of considering the event only goes for about a week each year?

Edited by haz

I'm posting these notes at the request of a member of the FRG who's not active on this Forum. I'm not a member myself so I can't answer any questions.

Just from my perspective IMO there's some very good explanations here of the reasons behind some of the usual gripes on here - delayed announcements of signings, and restrictions on merchandise.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting this in here but looking for some help!

I am currently a student in England doing some research on the City Football Group, more specifically Manchester City, New York City and finally and of course Melbourne City. I would appreciate if anyone can complete this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/7yyI2YsmrnSYlp723

All help is greatly appreciated!

Matt

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MattHutch96 said:

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting this in here but looking for some help!

I am currently a student in England doing some research on the City Football Group, more specifically Manchester City, New York City and finally and of course Melbourne City. I would appreciate if anyone can complete this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/7yyI2YsmrnSYlp723

All help is greatly appreciated!

Matt

You'll love the responses youll get in this survey.

EDIT:

Ill make it a topic for you

Edited by haz

Finally, another meeting of the FRG! To be held on 26th February.

I am not a member, but have been asked by a member to compile a list of questions that members of the Forum would like to put to the club.

Please post them here, or PM me, and I will do my best. Prompt replies would be appreciated, as I do have other things on my plate.

This is our chance to put some sensible questions to the club, on both on-field and off-field concerns.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Finally, another meeting of the FRG! To be held on 26th February.

I am not a member, but have been asked by a member to compile a list of questions that members of the Forum would like to put to the club.

Please post them here, or PM me, and I will do my best. Prompt replies would be appreciated, as I do have other things on my plate.

This is our chance to put some sensible questions to the club, on both on-field and off-field concerns.

Why is the club putting unecessary pressure on the Melburnians (Melbourne City active support) to not swear.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic