Melbourne Football

Our Australian marquee man

n i k o

Will Duff play another year considering his age? I can see him coming to play for us only if Duff doesnt play on. Kennedy will more than likely be the aus marquee this year and next so i doubt we will bring bresch here as the aus marquee next year considering his age and injury list. 

I'd say Duff will probably wanna finish up in Ireland so he'll probably only be with us for one season. Replacing Duff with Bresc under the salary cap next season is plausible, which means we'll be able to have Jesus as our Aus marquee.

Duff has already stated that he wishes to finish his football career playing in the League of Ireland. In this article he contemplates "a year or two elsewhere" before returning home: http://www.waterford-news.ie/2014/04/16/duff-eyeing-summer-move-abroad/

If we can have a reasonable season, and he can as well, IMO we can get another year from him if we want to.

• Like 1

I wonder what we are really doing with respect to our Australian marquee? City indicated at the start that we would use both the visa and Australian marquee places. Last I read, I think, was that we were "looking at a few players."

If it is to be Kennedy, I can't see why he isn't already on his way to us. His last regular football ended back in April 2014. Since then he's made one J-League appearance on 9th August, and was on the bench for the J-League match on 20th September. Otherwise he's not even been in the squad. Can't see why Nagoya would want to hang on to him to the bitter end, but maybe I'm missing something.

I think like with every move made by the club so far, the decision will be deliberate and calculated. It's not an accident we haven't signed an australian marquee player yet and it certainly hasn't happened due to lack of effort. Already conditioned to the CFG way of doing things.

• Like 1

I wonder what we are really doing with respect to our Australian marquee? City indicated at the start that we would use both the visa and Australian marquee places. Last I read, I think, was that we were "looking at a few players."

If it is to be Kennedy, I can't see why he isn't already on his way to us. His last regular football ended back in April 2014. Since then he's made one J-League appearance on 9th August, and was on the bench for the J-League match on 20th September. Otherwise he's not even been in the squad. Can't see why Nagoya would want to hang on to him to the bitter end, but maybe I'm missing something.

I think the fact we haven't signed anyone else means it's Kennedy.

Nagoya not letting him go could just be a simple case of them needing him for cover and if they aren't getting anything out of it (transfer fee) they have no reason to let him go apart from taking his wage off their books, which they might be happy to pay until his contract is over as it does give them cover and a different option.

Could also be a case of us not wanting him until then because we have Villa.

• Like 1

Will Duff play another year considering his age? I can see him coming to play for us only if Duff doesnt play on. Kennedy will more than likely be the aus marquee this year and next so i doubt we will bring bresch here as the aus marquee next year considering his age and injury list. 

I'd say Duff will probably wanna finish up in Ireland so he'll probably only be with us for one season. Replacing Duff with Bresc under the salary cap next season is plausible, which means we'll be able to have Jesus as our Aus marquee.

Duff has already stated that he wishes to finish his football career playing in the League of Ireland. In this article he contemplates "a year or two elsewhere" before returning home: http://www.waterford-news.ie/2014/04/16/duff-eyeing-summer-move-abroad/

If we can have a reasonable season, and he can as well, IMO we can get another year from him if we want to.

He said that before he came to city , he might change his mind if we are awesome and play til the end. 

I think like with every move made by the club so far, the decision will be deliberate and calculated. It's not an accident we haven't signed an australian marquee player yet and it certainly hasn't happened due to lack of effort. Already conditioned to the CFG way of doing things.

This. Just like with the international marquee, I believe the first comments club officials made on the issue are still the most relevant. Regarding the international marquee, club officials said in January (very shortly after the takeover):

"The football decisions will be based on football criteria, not on any other commercial or marketing criteria,'' he said.

"The marquee player is a tool we have to bring a high quality player to Australia, we will use that. It's too early to say who. They're not marketing tricks, this is about playing good football."

and

"It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name,'

"He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/man-city-executives-promise-to-sign-marquee-players-at-melbourne-heart-for-football-reasons/story-e6frf4gl-1226809029402?nk=8cdfbc46d1efc71b746d1984d8a06882

And sure enough, about half a year later in August, the club announced the signing of Robert Koren, who ticks all the boxes. 

Regarding the Australian marquee, club officials said at the start of August that the Australian marquee player does not have to be in place for Round 1 of the A-League season, specifically by making this statement:

“Not necessarily because, as you know, David Villa will come down and be a part of what we’re doing until the franchise at New York starts at the beginning of 2015,” Marwood told the Herald Sun.

“It’s something that we want to take our time over, it’s something that we want to use the same considerations (given to) the international marquee player in that it’s got to be the right person.

“We’re in a number of conversations with different people, it’s been very interesting and for us it’s been very exciting because we’ve had a number of people come to us — it hasn’t just been about us going out to the market and seeing what’s available ... but we have a very clear idea of what we want.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/josh-kennedy-to-melbourne-city-rumours-intensify-with-club-in-no-rush-to-name-marquee-signing/story-fnk6rlg0-1227010439281?nk=d11a5b9c869f6c96d973c1453bbf3df5

Josh Kennedy ticks all the boxes. After Villa leaves, Kennedy looks set to get the number 9 jersey around December when his current contract runs out.

• Like 3

Our playing style is our playing style. The club and CFG have made it very clear that no matter what we want to play a certain brand of football regardless of results. In saying that Kennedy, if he is signed, will be given plenty of details, training etc to mould within that style of play. If villa is anything to go by and Kennedy is our marquee then the club is probably already sending him details of how the team is playing/training so when he arrives, like villa, he can hit the ground running.

So my point is yes, I think he will adapt very quickly to the team. The club wouldn't bring in someone they felt wouldn't fit within the vision they have for our style of football.

But when are the transfer windows open/closed?

It seems that the current A-League transfer window closes on October 22 (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/tony-popovic-throws-socceroos-striker-nikita-rukavytsya-a-wanderers-lifeline-to-escape-exile/story-fni2fopz-1227081768206). I think the next transfer window is open throughout the month of January.

Perhaps the transfer window is a reason why Kennedy will be arriving after the start of the A-League season, because Nagoya Grampus didn't want to transfer/release him before October 22, and after October 22 Melbourne City have to wait until his contract runs out around December to sign him.

Although I think because Kennedy will be a free agent when his contract runs out in December Melbourne City will be able to sign him immediately, rather than wait till the next transfer period.

Edited by Murfy1

It seems that the current A-League transfer window closes on October 22 (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/tony-popovic-throws-socceroos-striker-nikita-rukavytsya-a-wanderers-lifeline-to-escape-exile/story-fni2fopz-1227081768206). I think the next transfer window is open throughout the month of January.

Perhaps the transfer window is a reason why Kennedy will be arriving after the start of the A-League season, because Nagoya Grampus didn't want to transfer/release him before October 22, and after October 22 Melbourne City have to wait until his contract runs out around December to sign him.

Although I think because Kennedy will be a free agent when his contract runs out in December Melbourne City will be able to sign him immediately, rather than wait till the next transfer period.

According to Wikipedia the next A-League transfer window is 14 January to 14 February.

Also according to Wikipedia a player can be transferred out of a National Association at any time, but into a National Association only during that association's transfer window. Also that a free agent can be transferred into an association at any time provided that they have been released by their previous club prior to the inward association's transfer window.

My reading of all that is that if Kennedy is released by Nagoya at any time from now on he can join us immediately.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia the next A-League transfer window is 14 January to 14 February.

Also according to Wikipedia a player can be transferred out of a National Association at any time, but into a National Association only during that association's transfer window. Also that a free agent can be transferred into an association at any time provided that they have been released by their previous club prior to the inward association's transfer window.

My reading of all that is that if Kennedy is released by Nagoya at any time from now on he can join us immediately.

That is correct. The FFA pushed the transfer window out by two weeks so the European teams don't go stealing all our good/promising players every January 1st.

That is correct. The FFA pushed the transfer window out by two weeks so the European teams don't go stealing all our good/promising players every January 1st.

Source? Pretty sure that's incorrect unless there is some specific rule, as in pretty much every country/association players can be transferred out at any time, transfer windows are only relevant for the team transferring in.

I'd say the reason it's later is because of the late season start.

Kennedy will most likely be coming in as a free agent, free agents have a different transfer window which (depending on each country/association) is usually any time apart from the latter stages of the season.

jw pretty much stated all this above, just confirming as I know for a fact this is how it works in every country/association I know of.

Edited by Tesla

Source? Pretty sure that's incorrect unless there is some specific rule, as in pretty much every country/association players can be transferred out at any time, transfer windows are only relevant for the team transferring in.

Kennedy will most likely be coming in as a free agent, free agents have a different transfer window which (depending on each country/association) is usually any time apart from the latter stages of the season.

jw pretty much stated all this above, just confirming as I know for a fact this is how it works in every country/association I know of.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aleague-chief-defends-transfer-window-20130108-2cdy2.html

It's an old article from last year, but dates are still the same (I'm assuming cuz I haven't heard otherwise).

"......Australia's transfer window opens on January 14."

"De Bohun says changes to the transfer window dates made before last season were intended to help protect sides that had their brightest young stars poached by European clubs in the first two weeks of the year."

Edited by Pete Heartspur

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aleague-chief-defends-transfer-window-20130108-2cdy2.html

It's an old article from last year, but dates are still the same (I'm assuming cuz I haven't heard otherwise).

"De Bohun says changes to the transfer window dates made before last season were intended to help protect sides that had their brightest young stars poached by European clubs in the first two weeks of the year."

I see. If you read on, I think what De Bohun is saying has a different meaning. The clubs aren't protected in that a player can't leave in the first weeks of January, rather they now have more time to find a replacement and can also continue to do so after the European windows closes with less competition.

I see. If you read on, I think what De Bohun is saying has a different meaning. The clubs aren't protected in that a player can't leave in the first weeks of January, rather they now have more time to find a replacement and can also continue to do so after the European windows closes with less competition.

Yeah, can't say I read the whole article properly.

What's the point in having our window open later than anywhere else? We can't sign anyone under contract after their particular window closes anyway can we, only uncontracted players which we could sign outside of our window anyway? Or have I missed something through my shoddy skimming?

Yeah, can't say I read the whole article properly.

What's the point in having our window open later than anywhere else? We can't sign anyone under contract after their particular window closes anyway can we, only uncontracted players which we could sign outside of our window anyway? Or have I missed something through my shoddy skimming?

We can. The only relevant windows for A-League clubs signing players is our window, it doesn't matter if the European window is closed, that'd the window they can sign players in, players can leave at any time.

• Like 1

Although I think because Kennedy will be a free agent when his contract runs out in December Melbourne City will be able to sign him immediately, rather than wait till the next transfer period. According to Wikipedia the next A-League transfer window is 14 January to 14 February.

My reading of all that is that if Kennedy is released by Nagoya at any time from now on he can join us immediately. That is correct. The FFA pushed the transfer window out by two weeks so the European teams don't go stealing all our good/promising players every January 1st.

jw pretty much stated all this above, just confirming as I know for a fact this is how it works in every country/association I know of. http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aleague-chief-defends-transfer-window-20130108-2cdy2.html

I see. If you read on, I think what De Bohun is saying has a different meaning. The clubs aren't protected in that a player can't leave in the first weeks of January, rather they now have more time to find a replacement and can also continue to do so after the European windows closes with less competition. Yeah, can't say I read the whole article properly.

We can. The only relevant windows for A-League clubs signing players is our window, it doesn't matter if the European window is closed, that'd the window they can sign players in, players can leave at any time.

Some part of me actually new that. :facepalm:

Think I've been conditioned to thinking "That's all the business done for this window" when the European window closes.

Based on today's news on Robi Koren, I just hope that Melbourne City learns from it and goes nowhere near a crock like Josh Kennedy.

The list of failed "name" players signed by us in our short history is mind-boggling.

We should concentrate instead on building a younger and fitter squad.

• Like 1

We should have signed Rukavytsya as marquee if we were after someone still in their 20s.

Kennedy can play a maximum of about 12 games this season, only 2 more than a 10 game guest stint.

great maths :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's pretty basic math to be honest