Melbourne Football

Our Australian marquee man

n i k o

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for australian marquee so here it is.

So word is cahill is set to make an exciting announcment tomorrow.... is it even remotely possible he could come here given his success at the World Cup and how well he is still playing? I doubt it but fingers crossed.

Edited by n i k o

Tim Cahill is making an announcement tomorrow?? 

Surely not!

If so... pounditupdated.gif

He recorded a video announcement (from his home gym), pictures on his instagram. 

But having a look at the headlines about him (from google search) Red Bull NY have offered him to two epl teams. So that would be the likely scenario... on the other hand, you never know!!!!

Don't know if he has been mentioned anywhere, but what about Luke Wilkshire?

Currently a free agent.

Primarily a RB but can play at LB too, which is where we need a player. Can also play a few different roles in midfield as far as I know

• Like 2

Currently a free agent.

Primarily a RB but can play at LB too, which is where we need a player. Can also play a few different roles in midfield as far as I know

I'd take him under the cap.

Currently a free agent.

Agreed.

Currently a free agent.

Agreed.

Lol, who do you guys expect to be the Australian marquee? There aren't really many better players available. And if we sign Kennedy, since he'll only be here for half a season, we can probably put him under the cap.

• Like 1

Currently a free agent.

Agreed.

Lol, who do you guys expect to be the Australian marquee? There aren't really many better players available. And if we sign Kennedy, since he'll only be here for half a season, we can probably put him under the cap.

Haven't rated Wilkshire in years.

Certainly good enough to be a starter here, but I don't like him, and wouldn't spend big money on him.

• Like 1

Currently a free agent.

Agreed.

Haven't rated Wilkshire in years.

Certainly good enough to be a starter here, but I don't like him, and wouldn't spend big money on him.

TBH, would think he is better than most in the A League at the spot, certainly better than our current starter and can play further up the right channel so i think he would be alright.  

afterall, you dont get so many caps by being shit (even with Osciek and Verback in charge).

only concern i have if (and only IF) he was the Aussie Marquee is that Wilkshire is not the sort to really star.  way too similar to Emerton in that sense - the club might be able to find a more appropriate Marquee worthy of the Marquee spot.

Edited by mattyh001

Bit harsh on emerton, I always thought he was a decent player, I just think his body was done when he got back to the a-league. I can remember him struggling to string games together at Sydney.

the fact that he had done a full preseason with Blackburn in the EPL and would have stayed on there (and with decent game time you would have thought) had the offer from Sydney not come through says to me that his body wasnt too bad in terms of his first actual season - there after who knows.  

Edited by mattyh001

No player (from the limited cases so far) that has come from the EPL to the A-League has even come close to performing to expectations.

Doesn't seem like an easy adjustment to the slower pace and shitter team mates of the A-League.

How many clubs use there Australian marquee spot?

All of them, presumably. Every club would just nominate its highest-paid Australian player as the marquee, for the salary cap relief. David Williams was our Aus marquee last year, as an example.

Emerton was at his best when he was at Feyenoord and his first few years at Blackburn. During his time at Feyenoord they played 3-5-2 and he was a wing back where his workrate and crossing from deep were perfect for the position. Moving to a conventional right midfield spot at Blackburn he was often higher up the pitch in 1v1 situations which weren't his strong point.

As a defensive player he was great as he had the willingness to defend and the speed and strength to nullify most opponents. Unfortunately he came back to the A-League and everyone expected to see a dazzling right winger, something he's never been.

Emerton was our best player apart from Kewell in the early 2000s.

If you only saw him after 2006 then you'd think he's useless.

for the early 2000s' i think you could find a dozen Aussie players who rank quite well.  Skoko, Okon, Viduka, T. Vidmar and Bresciano, with a take your pick between Bosnich and Schwarzer to name a few.

to say those who only saw him post 2006 means to forget those who (for arguments sake - please remember i dont mean to say Emerton didnt have his moments) saw the Emerton 20m chip over a Kiwi keeper in the 2004 OFC cup as pure class (sadly could not find it - please find it if you can).  after all, the guy has played many times for the national team - you dont do that as a complete muppet.

thing is that (from past posts) Emerton was never really the type to drag a team through a tough game to the point his game could be isolated as the difference.  call it what you will, but for me it is chalk and cheese in comparison to guys who do (ie Cahill, Kewell, ADP)  think about the fact that Ryan Nelson (captain or NZ team at 2010 WC) was seen as the captain ahead of Emerton at Blackburn.  what does that say??

to say Emerton was completely and utterly useless was probably over the top given no real context.  by all means, any player that makes the EPL has to have something going right in the first place.  just think that people might have over evaluated his role, particularly since he was brought back as a Marquee.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

From what of saw of him, Emo was a team player not a bloke who wanted to be the centre of attention like CR7. He was a fine team player who was with Blackburn Rovers from 2003 to 2011 and made captain for his last match for them. That's pretty good in my books. But I didn't see him as the guy that was going to turn a game on its head single handedly. I think that's what some people expected from him when he came to SFC. What I would read into Nelson being captain over Emo would be in relation to leadership on and off the field. Emo was probably more the reserved type compared to Nelson. As for Bresc, he is the kind of player that can turn a game for you. All class and, IMHO, right up there with Dukes and Kewell.

Edited by HEARTinator

Good study though on NT players returning to the A-League and their performances.

I can't really think of one that has met expectations.

Okon, Zelic, Culina, Emerton, Grella, Kewell etc... All key golden generation players.

Maybe Sterjovski has proven to be consistant, without being a star, but may be more to do with lower expectation.

Seems they all have key problems in common though returning to this level:

- In the last 2 years of career

- Coming off injury, physically not prepared

- Mentally expecting an easier standard

Whether Kennedy (if we get him) can be the exception, he'll be 32, with an injury that kept him out of the WC and wanting to be home with family.   He'd probably need to be the best of the lot for us to be a contender in 2015.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

IMO this is going to prove difficult to find the Australian "marquee" we are really looking for. Probably we'll end up either leaving the option open, or signing someone of lesser "marquee status" but simply using the "marquee" label as a way of circumventing the salary cap. The only issue with the latter is that FFA has to approve all "marquee" players, that is those paid outside the cap.