Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Melbourne City marquee Robert Koren says he’ll let his football do the talking for A-League side

MATT WINDLEY

AUGUST 03, 2014 7:00PM

932778-aaace384-1ad6-11e4-bf72-fc0acc2f3

New Melbourne City marquee import Robert Koren pictured at the Docklands.

ROBERT Koren doesn’t take issue with naysayers who suggest he is not a big enough name to be Melbourne City’s international marquee player.

Instead, the 61-time Slovenian international who captained his country at the 2010 World Cup says he will let his football do the talking in the upcoming A-League season.

Koren, 33, will be unveiled as City’s newest signing on Monday after his capture was revealed by the Herald Sun last month.

And in a sign of his commitment to the cause the former West Bromwich Albion and Hull City midfielder has inked a two-year deal, rather than the one-year option that is so often standard for international marquees.

“I came here to help the club go to another step, to help the team and do my best on the field,” Koren told the Herald Sun on Sunday.

931379-b507f652-1ad6-11e4-bf72-fc0acc2f3

New Melbourne City marquee import Robert Koren pictured at the Docklands.

“I didn’t just come here for one year on a holiday or something like that, I came here to do the right job for the club and I’m sure the young kids can look at me and see and learn from me.

“I will do my best at training and hopefully I can show what I’m all about.”

The club has been linked to all sorts of names since being taken over by Manchester City in January, including Spanish international Xavi and English legend Frank Lampard.

But Koren said he is not phased by the pressure that comes with being labelled as the club’s international marquee.

“I know all about this, but when we are on that field we are all the same, it doesn’t matter how you came to the club,” he said.

“I need to prepare myself as best as I can, but I prefer to talk on the pitch and hopefully the fans can come, watch the games and see what I’m all about.”

Koren’s wife and three young children will join him in Melbourne later this month.

He sounded out former Melbourne Heart forward Richard Garcia - whom he played with at Hull City - and Brisbane’s Shane Stefanutto - a former teammate at Lillestrom in Norway - before finalising his decision, but said it was an easy choice to come to Australia after Melbourne City management made their pitch to him during the club’s pre-season tour of Manchester.

Koren follows in the footsteps of Dutchman Orlando Engelaar, who was Melbourne Heart’s international marquee last season.

Engelaar infamously broke his leg in the first half of his very first pre-season match and missed half of the season, a fate Koren is understandably keen to avoid.

“I heard about this and I was hoping you would not bring this up,” he said.

“Hopefully I can stay out of the injury room and prepare myself as best as I can for the season.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-marquee-robert-koren-says-hell-let-his-football-do-the-talking-for-aleague-side/story-fnk6pqhd-1227011932921?nk=ab2bc3137d3e4039aaa2c1424b6c74d9

Official, from the club website:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Melbourne City FC Sign Marquee Robert Koren

Sunday, 3 August 2014

Former Slovenian midfielder Robert Koren will join Melbourne City FC as international marquee

Melbourne City FC can announce the signing of 61-time Slovenian international Robert Koren on a two-year deal until the end of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season.

Koren, 33, joins from English Premier League club Hull City, where he was club captain during the 2013/14 Premiership Season.

Koren, who captained Slovenia at the 2010 World Cup, will fill the Club’s international marquee position and fourth international spot in Melbourne City FC’s squad.

Koren joins the Club’s most recent international signing Damien Duff who also signed for Melbourne City FC directly out of the Premier League, from London club Fulham.

An imaginative and attacking midfielder, Koren’s energy and guile from midfield have seen him star on both the international stage and at the highest levels of club football.

Koren met with City’s football department while the team was in Manchester on a 17-day pre-season tour.

“We have been looking for the right player – and person – to fill our marquee position and Robert ticks all of the boxes,” Brian Marwood, Managing Director, City Football Services, said.

“Robert is an impressive footballer who has had great experience at the top level in England and we’re excited about what he will bring to Melbourne City FC.

“We’ve brought Robert to Melbourne to use his experience and class to help contribute to the team; he’s a natural leader, his resume in the UK speaks volumes and he’s a team player both on and off the pitch.”

Head Coach John van’t Schip said: “Robert is someone who we feel can add something extra to the team and can help us get to the next level.

“He is a team player who we believe will contribute well and help our entire squad reach their full potential and help deliver results.”

Koren will commence training with his new teammates at La Trobe University on Monday and will wear the number 10 shirt this season.

Permanent playing squad signed for 2014/15 to date (19 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Robert Koren, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Player Details

Robert Koren

DOB: 20 September 1980 (age 33)
Place of birth: Radlje ob Dravi, Slovenia
Position: Midfielder
Appearances:

Club
Dravograd (Slovenia) [1996-2001] (129 apps, 17 goals)

Celje (Slovenia) [2001-2004] (78, 22)

Lillestrom (Norway) [2004-2007] (75, 19)

West Bromwich Albion (England) [2007-2010] (129, 16)

Hull City (England) [2010-2014] (143, 28)

International

Slovenia [2003-2012] (61, 5)

Contract details: Two-year contract (end Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-robert-koren-signs/128h18cmcmaoq1e7bjsr9l7a1p

Official, from the club website:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Melbourne City FC Sign Marquee Robert Koren

Sunday, 3 August 2014

Former Slovenian midfielder Robert Koren will join Melbourne City FC as international marquee

Melbourne City FC can announce the signing of 61-time Slovenian international Robert Koren on a two-year deal until the end of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season.

Koren, 33, joins from English Premier League club Hull City, where he was club captain during the 2013/14 Premiership Season.

Koren, who captained Slovenia at the 2010 World Cup, will fill the Club’s international marquee position and fourth international spot in Melbourne City FC’s squad.

Koren joins the Club’s most recent international signing Damien Duff who also signed for Melbourne City FC directly out of the Premier League, from London club Fulham.

An imaginative and attacking midfielder, Koren’s energy and guile from midfield have seen him star on both the international stage and at the highest levels of club football.

Koren met with City’s football department while the team was in Manchester on a 17-day pre-season tour.

“We have been looking for the right player – and person – to fill our marquee position and Robert ticks all of the boxes,” Brian Marwood, Managing Director, City Football Services, said.

“Robert is an impressive footballer who has had great experience at the top level in England and we’re excited about what he will bring to Melbourne City FC.

“We’ve brought Robert to Melbourne to use his experience and class to help contribute to the team; he’s a natural leader, his resume in the UK speaks volumes and he’s a team player both on and off the pitch.”

Head Coach John van’t Schip said: “Robert is someone who we feel can add something extra to the team and can help us get to the next level.

“He is a team player who we believe will contribute well and help our entire squad reach their full potential and help deliver results.”

Koren will commence training with his new teammates at La Trobe University on Monday and will wear the number 10 shirt this season.

Permanent playing squad signed for 2014/15 to date (19 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Robert Koren, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Player Details

Robert Koren

DOB: 20 September 1980 (age 33)

Place of birth: Radlje ob Dravi, Slovenia

Position: Midfielder

Appearances:

Club

Dravograd (Slovenia) [1996-2001] (129 apps, 17 goals)

Celje (Slovenia) [2001-2004] (78, 22)

Lillestrom (Norway) [2004-2007] (75, 19)

West Bromwich Albion (England) [2007-2010] (129, 16)

Hull City (England) [2010-2014] (143, 28)

International

Slovenia [2003-2012] (61, 5)

Contract details: Two-year contract (end Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-robert-koren-signs/128h18cmcmaoq1e7bjsr9l7a1p

I have no doubt he will play ffa game

I think thr club released this signing today so that it can hit the newspapers first thing tomorrow at the beginning of the week. Or maybe I'm looking into it too much.

it's pretty obvious that the announcement was scheduled for 10am Thursday but the Hun leaked it.

I think that's the plan. Get media attention and buzz online tonight and overnight, make the papers tomorrow (and there will also apparently be an exclusive interview on Fox Sports News tomorrow morning as well), and then have a bit more media at Robi's first day of training tomorrow. So the media coverage will be spread across 2-3 days.

Very pleased with what Koren is saying as well. Like Duff, he is saying all the right things, and the fact that he signed for 2 seasons further shows he committed to the club as well.

Awesome signing.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

One more Visa spot to fill and I think 4 spots in total?

Yep, that's exactly right as far as I know. Also, there might be a few more spaces for youth signings, although those are rarely properly utilised by A-League clubs.

Video interview with Robi: http://video.news.com.au/v/232145/Melbourne-City-sign-Robert-Koren-as-overseas-marquee-player

But Koren said he is not phased by the pressure that comes with being labelled as the club’s international marquee.

fazed, not phased! When you're running a News of The World style operation at The Hun, accuracy should never be of concern. Have I missed something, what's happened to the page 3 girls??????

He was having dinner with Scott Munn and JvS so they probably just thought they'd announce it afterwards.

I hope they were serving some Slovenian grub for our Robi !!!!! I reckon he'd be happy with kranjske klobase, mash, onions and some german/french mustard washed down with wine/beer. Did you make it happen Munn or did you give him meat pies????

Good to see he's signed for two years, we've had a constantly changing group of players from one year to the next and I'd love more continuity from season to season. Also I'm pleased that he's showing commitment to the club and will have to be accountable over two years. Hope he delivers on the pitch.