Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

credit to him, walked around the whole stadium after the game, last player out signing and having photo's with fans

hope he starts vs perth

I've seen him before and after a couple of home games walking around outside AAMI with a few kids (in KOREN #10 City jerseys). Seems like a nice bloke.

• Like 1

Would like to see him given a Broich type role floating in from the flanks allowing the Mooy, Paartalu and Melling combination to continue. Duff, Kennedy and Koren in the front 3rd with Duga & Williams off the bench.

I feel like that sort of line up would not have enough mobility up top. Very good problem to have considering melling, mooy, and paartalu are working well together. Possibility of playing him as a false nine just to fit them all in? At least until Jesus arrives. Williams has been underwhelming as a number 9 so far this season.

Would like to see him given a Broich type role floating in from the flanks allowing the Mooy, Paartalu and Melling combination to continue. Duff, Kennedy and Koren in the front 3rd with Duga & Williams off the bench.

I feel like that sort of line up would not have enough mobility up top. Very good problem to have considering melling, mooy, and paartalu are working well together. Possibility of playing him as a false nine just to fit them all in? At least until Jesus arrives. Williams has been underwhelming as a number 9 so far this season.

Agree. He isn't a winger/flanker. Even though he was more box-to-box in the limited time last night, he needs to be at the pointy end of the midfield unlocking the defence.

Agree. He isn't a winger/flanker. Even though he was more box-to-box in the limited time last night, he needs to be at the pointy end of the midfield unlocking the defence.

I agree he's not a winger. If you watched Broich when Brisbane were unstoppable he was played on the left but given the freedom to roam across the park.

It often gave him the ability to find space far easier than he would if he played as a #10 and was up against a direct opponent. It would put the right full back in a predicament whether to follow his run inside and leave the line open or maintain shape and allow him to be the extra man in the middle.

Since he's been moved to the middle and Brisbane have played more conventional wingers his productivity has been far reduced and Brisbane have looked far worse off.

Just food for thought as Mooy, Paartalu and Melling cover an immense amount of territory and allow the full backs to push higher up the park. Adding Koren into the mix will leave us a bit softer in the centre and will make Mooy play deeper.

• Like 1

Koren as a false nine is a very interesting possibility.

Actually we used Koren as a false nine in the last pre-season game of the season against Perth, where the team won 2-1 (with Perth's goal only coming in the final few minutes).

the team was:

Redmayne

Archibald  Wielaert   Kisnorbo   Ramsay

Paartalu                  

Murdocca        Mooy

Duff                    Koren             Dugandzic

I'd be pretty pleased with this front 6 against Perth on Boxing Day:

Paartalu

Melling             Mooy

Dugandzic          Koren        Williams/ Duff?

Edited by Murfy1

Fit-again Koren wants to make City the best

By Iain Strachan

December 23, 2014

The experienced former Premier League player is relieved to end his long wait for a taste of A-League action and has set the bar high in terms of expectations for his new club

After conquering the swimming pool and honing his boxing skills to earn a long-awaited A-League debut, the next challenge for Robert Koren is the biggest yet - to help Melbourne City 'become one of the biggest clubs in Australia'.

City's international marquee saw his first appearance in a white and sky blue shirt delayed by a persistent calf problem picked up days before the season opener, John van 't Schip's men struggling for consistency in the absence of one of their star signings.

The former Hull City and West Bromwich Albion player finally made his bow off the bench in the 1-0 derby win over Melbourne Victory on Saturday night and will now be keen for more playing time before January's break for the Asian Cup.

"I'm expecting much more to come," he said.

"I came here to help the club and help the young players. Hopefully I can do the job for the club."

City host league leaders Perth Glory on Friday, with another substitute appearance a strong possibility for the Slovenian, who is unlikely to play the full 90 minutes at this stage of his comeback. 

"It's up to the manager to pick the team, the guys have done well in the last two games," he said.

"If I'm coming from the bench I will do my best."

The 34-year-old revealed the ambition of City to become an A-League powerhouse was a key factor behind his relocation from Europe to Australia in the off-season.

"I was looking for a new challenge," he said.

"When I first had contact with Melbourne City, I was really happy about what they wanted to achieve in the future. We need to go step by step but I'd like to help the team grow to become one of the biggest clubs in Australia."

Koren endured a frustrating spell on the sidelines after suffering a setback in his rehabilitation, forced to put in the hard work in the gym and the pool rather than training outside with his new team-mates. 

"It was a long period, I'd been out for 10 weeks," he said.

"I worked really hard, boxing and swimming and the bike. When you're coming so close it's hard to be patient. The medical staff and coaching staff have done really good to hold me back. It's hard when you're seeing players running around. 

"I did know how to swim but not as good as I can now, because to practice every second day brings you to another level. Still struggling to defend in boxing, I like to attack. It's easier to attack."

If that philosophy transfers from the ring to the football field in the 2015, Koren, who will be joined by domestic marquee Josh Kennedy in attack after the Asian Cup, could yet help to transform City's campaign.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/12/23/7332132/fit-again-koren-wants-to-make-city-the-best

I think Koren actually has a lot of work to do to break into this midfield at the minute with Melling being the revelation he is. When Kennedy arrives I think we should go for a change of formation to try and minimise the weak points of our side whilst fitting in all of our good players.

IMO:

Kennedy

Williams

Duff Mooy Melling Koren

Paartalu

Kisnorbo Chapman Hoffman?

Velaphi

I think that a change of lineup such as this should at least be experimented with. Obvioulsy Tando in goal, and then go for a back 3 of Kisnorbo, Chapman and possibly Hoffman or Weilaert, but preferably a CB brought in in January. Have Kisnorbo and the 3rd CB play as stoppers in front of Chapman as a cover/high sweeper. Go with our current midfield 3 with Paartalu as the anchor man and Mooy and Melling as central midfielders, then have Duff on his natural left wing. Koren would be on the right wing playing in a sort of ramdueter role, like that of Thomas Broich. A sort of wide playmaker who is able to come more central to pivk up a pass or find space whilst also exploiting the flank. I think Koren has the right skillset for this without being an out abd out winger, where if you'll recall he did spend some time playing in the Premier League and Championship. Up front Kennedy as the target man with Williams playing off him in a deep-lying forward/defensive forward role, where he can put his pace and off the ball defensive workrate to better use, but still have Kennedy as the main number 9.

Edited by GreenSeater

He needs to use the next couple of games to get some match time into him and get accustomed to the league.

He's traveling below 50% at the moment. The break may be coming at a bad time for him. What it does though is give him an idea if the league and time to really train with the team and get used to the system.

Watched a lot of him and the guy is a top liner. Just needs to play and he will be a star in this league.

• Like 2

I didn't think his game today was anything special. Yeh a hat trick all good but 2 of the 3 are what should be regulation goals for a half decent footballer.

Honestly didn't see any touches or runs or passes that made me go wow or blow my load over.

Maybe im just too emotionally attached to my doppelganger Orlando.

I didn't think his game today was anything special. Yeh a hat trick all good but 2 of the 3 are what should be regulation goals for a half decent footballer.

Honestly didn't see any touches or runs or passes that made me go wow or blow my load over.

Nothing special? What you sniffin'?

• Like 1

Whoa...tough crowd. His mere presence on the park as a crossing option made someone like Duff (who hasn't been a slouch this year) look many times better, because every time someone put the ball in the right area, Koren would invariably be there, he'd finish the work and he'd make them look good. I'll take that sort of brutal, ruthless efficiency every day of the week.

• Like 1

Not saying he played badly when clearly he didn't, just don't think he played as good as everybody thinks he did. Name one occasion other than his goals that stood out absolute head and shoulders above anyone else? (Like most people are calling it)

Scarily, I can see room for improvement and him being able to influence a game more than he did today.

Not a bad thing at all.

Just calling it as I see it.

Not saying he played badly when clearly he didn't, just don't think he played as good as everybody thinks he did. Name one occasion other than his goals that stood out absolute head and shoulders above anyone else? (Like most people are calling it)

Scarily, I can see room for improvement and him being able to influence a game more than he did today.

Not a bad thing at all.

Imagine what he'll be like when he is match sharp?

Not a bad thing at all.

That's probably a fair call, but it's just that everything he did seemed like pure class. I remember in Engelaar's first few games, it seemed to me that his mobility could be a bit of an issue, he reminded me of one of those walker robot things from Star Wars. Then I realised he was so much more talented than the average A-League player that it simply didn't matter. I don't know, maybe if he'd been able to play as a genuine midfielder, he would have had more of the ball and we would have seen more of him. And with Melling out next week, perhaps he'll/we'll get that chance and Williams/Brown/Dugandzic will get a reprieve up forward (I'm pretty confident Duff's hoping not)?

Not a bad thing at all.

Imagine what he'll be like when he is match sharp? Fucking oath.

Then I will join the robbie koren circle jerk.

Right now im only on a semi

Not a bad thing at all.

The thing about football is that its a game of few opportunities.  When they come they have to be taken.  Its the difference between winning and losing and we all know about how our lesser players have literally cost us matches, whereas Koren today won us this match.  This is no different to Villa BTW.

The other thing is it confirms just how poor this league is when a 34 year old returning from injury can score a hat trick.  

Don;t get me wrong i've supported the A-League since its inception.  When people praise the A-League i feel like telling them to STFU-there are so many poor players that should never have been given pro-contracts at all clubs.  This is why ratings and attendances are growing so slowly across the league.

• Like 1