Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

seems to be a decent pick up.  would have thought with the money CFG are pumping into New York that they might have gone a bigger name but Koren should be a solid performer.

has a proven winning history in the Championship and has proven leadership skills in a EPL season so sounds like he is someone they can build success on.

The important question is what role JVS wants him to play and how that will fit in to the team style. I assume that he'll be an attacking midfielder/playmaker. We really need a linking player who can pass forward, we now have two, Koren and Mooy.. I can't see Kalmar getting much game time.

The important question is what role JVS wants him to play and how that will fit in to the team style. I assume that he'll be an attacking midfielder/playmaker. We really need a linking player who can pass forward, we now have two, Koren and Mooy.. I can't see Kalmar getting much game time.

Fully agree about the importance of roles. I remember it being reported that JVS was very clear on which positions in the team he wanted to strengthen, and I think Munn told us which positions those are when he said on radio that the club is focused on getting a striker, a no 10/playmaker and a LB. And I agree that we needed a link player with very good quality and intelligence in the final third, and it looks like they have concluded that Koren is that linking no 10/playmaker.

JVS did say in the interview posted today that there's been discussions with Mooy, and it was acknowledged that Mooy played in a rather standard holding midfield position at WSW because of their style, but in the Bolton game Mooy was instructed to play higher up the pitch, and JVS said he looked improved in that position, so I expect Mooy will be played in a similar position/role to Koren (albeit maybe a little deeper).   

As for Kalmar, well, I'm sure not all of our ~23 players will regularly get much game time. But what happens if Koren or Mooy get injured (or if either miss game time for whatever reasons)? Kalmar did play two-thirds of the Bolton game alongside Mooy in midfield, and the team of course impressively won 5-1. So I reckon Kalmar will feature a respectable amount of times next season, and even if he's not a default starter next season I still think he'll add some value to the squad (I think the same will probably be true of Brown, Williams, maybe Murdocca and our young players in the senior team next season as well). 

Edited by Murfy1

He's got a lot more goal videos spread across the internet. He's some I've come across:

Against Newcastle in a pre-season friendly for Lillestrom: 

Anyway he's a midfielder FFS. His main job is to set goals up, not score them. It's just a big bonus for us that he's a prolific goalscorer, and he can comfortably score goals from outside the box. 

Can't say I was blown away by that footage. Those shots from outside the box weren't exactly the sweetest of strikes, but hey, a shot on goal is a shot on goal right!

A shot on goal has more chance of going in than most of Willo's Row Z killers :lawl:   A midfielder that can give it a crack and score. I'm talking Sibon, Engelaar and now Mooy and Koren, then add Mauk. Put in Duff and Duga and we've probably got more goal scroing options across the pitch now than in previous years, even without a full season striker (Villa being on a 10 game stint). I reckon we won't have trouble scoring but will we be able to keep them out?

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

True. After all, these guys aren't strikers. If we can have a midfield scoring goals regularly then that'll be a huge advantage. Koren, mooy, duga and duff will add plenty of goals and that's on top of our strikers Willo, villa and Kennedy. I'm very excited about our goal scoring power this upcoming season.

Although I doubt that Koren would have been in Manchester if he wasn't seriously interested in signing for us, I'm waiting until it's actually confirmed. Reading between the lines we've made decent offers to a couple of other players but been knocked back in the end.

Many a slip etc.