Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Can I have some of what your smoking?

Can you get to the Northern suburbs tonight? Bring cash.

Uhhh sorry only got mastercard

It's the 21st Century, I'm sure he'll have eftpos.

EFTPOS is so 20th century, I don't accept anything but Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is so 2013, I only deal in Dogecoin.

• Like 2

Some trivia for you all.

Koren and Mifsud played together at Lillestrom from 2004-2007. Both left in January 2007 for England, Koren to West Brom and Mifsud to Coventry, 27 miles apart *creepy music*

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

Never thought I'd see the day where people are dissapointed at signing a former epl captain and world cup goalscorer at this club...

Pre-Take over I think this would be good enough. But although he played EPL Hull and West Brom Albion aren't exactly powerhouses.

If CFG were looking to make a splash this won't do it. I'd never heard of him before now. He 'might' turn out to be a good player but he's nothing I'm getting excited over. Not when we were thinking we were getting mega bucks to get someone from one of the top tier clubs in Europe. I was never expecting a great name at their peak but I was expecting a great name at the end of their career (but not washed up) or I was expecting someone younger who didn't quite make it at the top tier clubs i.e. someone who played a handful of games for a Champions League club How does 'playing a handful of games for a Champions League club' make someone a better player than a Premier League club Captain with Championship pedigree, starting regularly for a mid-table club for ten years? That shit cray.

Koren is a solid mid-tier Prem player. Be happy, you will be after a few rounds.

yes

a5ki84.jpg

fifa Melb City team will be ballin

Wikipedia claiming he's ours so it must be true:

Robert Koren (born 20 September 1980 in Radlje ob Dravi) is a Slovenian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder currently playing for Melbourne City in the A-League. Koren earned 61 caps and scored 5 goals for the Slovenia national football team between 2003 and 2012 and played at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Koren 

Edited by strider

If Melbourne sign Koren it will be an excellent signing.

He is a very mobile player with good control and excellent passing. Very different from Engelaar IMO

I have always liked him as a player. He would have been the type of player City would have signed before we were bought by Sheik Mansour.

I can understand your frustrations when you see who NYCFC are signing. However, at the moment the MLS is a bigger league than the A League. Hopefully you will grow as big as them if not bigger. However, until then it will be easier for MLS sides to attract players than the A League no matter how much money clubs have.

Some trivia for you all.

Koren and Mifsud played together at Lillestrom from 2004-2007. Both left in January 2007 for England, Koren to West Brom and Mifsud to Coventry, 27 miles apart *creepy music*

Dear God. It's just dawned on me that Mifsud was actually playing on the one occasion when I went to watch that awful Coventry City team playing, back when I was attending Coventry University. Good lord, but that was a hideously dull match. No wonder they were giving tickets away free to students.

• Like 1

He is a very mobile player with good control and excellent passing. Very different from Engelaar IMO

I have always liked him as a player. He would have been the type of player City would have signed before we were bought by Sheik Mansour.

I can understand your frustrations when you see who NYCFC are signing. However, at the moment the MLS is a bigger league than the A League. Hopefully you will grow as big as them if not bigger. However, until then it will be easier for MLS sides to attract players than the A League no matter how much money clubs have.

Personally, I'm not frustrated, with the news on Koren. A little surprised (just since, logically, it would have been reasonable to assume that the marquee would be a bigger 'name' than Duff), but he sounds like he'll be an excellent player for us, filling some clear areas of need. The remaining 1-2 signings that we have to make will be absolutely critical for our chances this season.

I feel like the MLS will always be bigger than our league, especially with respect to the imports. Even if the leagues were the same quality (from what I understand the MLS is significantly better and the respective showings of our national teams at the World Cup is probably a rough reflection of that, since a good portion of both teams came from the local leagues), I think there will always be a perception for a Western European or South American player (especially from a country with a powerhouse national team) that they are effectively retiring themselves from playing for their country by moving to the A-League, whereas they're not necessarily doing that by playing in the MLS.

Personally, I'm not frustrated, with the news on Koren. A little surprised (just since, logically, it would have been reasonable to assume that the marquee would be a bigger 'name' than Duff), but he sounds like he'll be an excellent player for us, filling some clear areas of need. The remaining 1-2 signings that we have to make will be absolutely critical for our chances this season.

I feel like the MLS will always be bigger than our league, especially with respect to the imports. Even if the leagues were the same quality (from what I understand the MLS is significantly better and the respective showings of our national teams at the World Cup is probably a rough reflection of that, since a good portion of both teams came from the local leagues), I think there will always be a perception for a Western European or South American player (especially from a country with a powerhouse national team) that they are effectively retiring themselves from playing for their country by moving to the A-League, whereas they're not necessarily doing that by playing in the MLS.

Yes I think you are right in what you are saying for the moment. You can never tell what may happen in the future. However, I can only see the A League improve in quality, especially if other teams can up the coaching levels of the youngsters. I am sure Melbourne will improve young players and this will hopefully be a stepping stone in increasing the quality fo the league.

• Like 1

Some trivia for you all.

:droy:   Hahahaha, and that's where the similarity begins and ends :P

Good signing on face value.

I admit I don't know anything more about him than what I've read in this thread, but he does seem to tick all the boxes for what we need from a player.

For those concerned he isn't enough of a big name, the game plan is clearly to get people to come and see Villa, and stay when they start enjoying the side playing well and winning. Villa fills the star aspect, and Duff helps pick up people more familiar with the EPL. I understand the disappointment that this may indicate that Lampard isn't coming, but tbh a 10 game stint isn't amazing and while from our point of view it would be great to see another star player every week we are going, he probably isn't going to attract that many more people to games seeing as if Villa and Duff aren't enough to make someone come to games why do they change their minds for Frank?

As a Hull City fan, pretty stoked about this signing if it goes through. Actually thought he'd be a good fit for us when learnt he was not offered a new contract by Hull City.

Bit of info about him from my point of view, Robbie has been captain of the side for a few years and in 2012-13 the year the Tigers made it through the championship and got upgraded to EPL.

Last year though his position as CM/AM has been taken over by the likes of Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore both players in their early/mid 20s from Spurs on loan originally then set up on contract. As such, played only 26 games most off the bench and a lot of full games in the FA cup as Huddlestone and Livermore couldn't play as much, where Hull City made it to the final.

Robbie is really fit, runs all game, good technician, and a goal scoring midfielder, we really loved him at Hull hence him becoming captain.

Some of you might not like this but he was Richie Garcia's captain whilst at Hull City although didn't play too many games together as Garcia was out with knee injury.   

• Like 1

Quote from Managing director of City football services Brian Marwood

“But I think it’s important that we have the right kind of characteristics both on and off the field (in a marquee player). We don’t want players coming to the club and thinking it’s a final pay day or it’s a few months in the sun in a beautiful city, that’s not what this club is about."

People saying we should be getting bigger names, we might of spoken to the biggest names out their, but we don't want them if they have shit attitudes!!

Koren is 33. Definetely his final pay day

“But I think it’s important that we have the right kind of characteristics both on and off the field (in a marquee player). We don’t want players coming to the club and thinking it’s a final pay day or it’s a few months in the sun in a beautiful city, that’s not what this club is about."

People saying we should be getting bigger names, we might of spoken to the biggest names out their, but we don't want them if they have shit attitudes!!

No not really. Maybe if he was 35. At 33 he could play for two years and then go to the Middle East for another couple. 

Engelaar was 34.

I'm actually getting so hyped about this guy now, at first it seemed unspectacular but the more I think about it, the more we've been crying out for a player just like him! 

And you're kidding if you think 33 is a bad age to get him at, he could easily sign for another low-tier EPL club and feature prominently. 

Ah, the great age debate...

Always so much prejudice and discrimination around age. It's very much a case by case basis, not every player can play past 35, some are fucked by their early 30s while some have the capacity to play in to their 40s.

So who's to judge?

• Like 3

Looking through some of the Hull City fan forums, there seems to be an overall positive mood towards him. The two standout criticisms seem to be he is slack in tracking back with defensive duties, and he is over zealous to shoot rather than create. In my mind my concerns over a quality DM are only increased - we really do need a holding midfielder of quality and strength if this guy pushes high up the park. But his leadership and vigor to win the ball won over many fans.

But like many above, we'll have to wait and see. On paper this looks like a terrific signing to me - fit and injury resistant, good leadership qualities and an eye for goal. If he can curb his shooting from range and aim to create for Villa, we could be in for some fun times.

• Like 1

there's a difference between playing for a team and it's the last time you get paid and going somewhere just to get a big final payout. 

I don't know to much about this player however, I have seen him play at the 2010 WC (on TV) he looks like the right type of player for our club and team.. His the type of player that is always looking for the ball and doesn't go missing. Has a great strike on him and looks a very smart player.

In many of our performances last season, there were times when midfielders would go missing and I think Koren will assume that type of role were he will look to received the ball and create our play going forward and support the attacking players.

Good signing if it happens..

Koren looks ok. If Eng was 34? then this fella should be ok too if age seems a factor. Look forward to seeing Mooy n Mauk in midfield. I thought Mauk played well in the limited time he had on pitch. Mooy will be great.

Is Big Nikola Zigic still floating around at Brum and playing any good?