Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

This was my initial thought too but he'll be coming over with a wealth of top flight and international experience, is a great leader and a good technician by the sound of things.

Engelaar had x-factor in spades but I get the impression that Koren might end up being a better fit with regards to team dynamics and overall performance.

Not super excited but not upset either, I think he could be a really good player for us.

• Like 3

Think he was injured last year, but a good quality player. Bit of a broich type I think, just a few years older.

Engelaar was a boss, but faded out of games a bit. Think Koren would be much more consistent

Edited by bt50

Absolute blinder of a signing. He's a high energy, creative midfielder and has captain Premier League clubs.

He'd be great for us not only on field but off the field too.

I must have watched too many Premier League and Championship matches in my life time he's always someone I admired. When Newcastle went down in the Championship he was rumored to come and I was hoping it would happen.

He'll be a player that buzzes all over the field, and he will bob up often with a goal from midfield.

• Like 2

Absolute blinder of a signing. He's a high energy, creative midfielder and has captain Premier League clubs.

He'd be great for us not only on field but off the field too.

I must have watched too many Premier League and Championship matches in my life time he's always someone I admired. When Newcastle went down in the Championship he was rumored to come and I was hoping it would happen.

He'll be a player that buzzes all over the field, and he will bob up often with a goal from midfield.

You seem like a really big fan of his and probably know more about him than most of us so I'll trust your enthusiasm! 

In hindsight, I think starpower is a little overrated (we have David Villa for that anyway) and to be honest I just want to see us win games. If the club feels like Koren is the best option to help us achieve this ambition then you can count me on board.

Edited by Nate

Never thought I'd see the day where people are dissapointed at signing a former epl captain and world cup goalscorer at this club...

Pre-Take over I think this would be good enough. But although he played EPL Hull and West Brom Albion aren't exactly powerhouses.

If CFG were looking to make a splash this won't do it. I'd never heard of him before now. He 'might' turn out to be a good player but he's nothing I'm getting excited over. Not when we were thinking we were getting mega bucks to get someone from one of the top tier clubs in Europe. I was never expecting a great name at their peak but I was expecting a great name at the end of their career (but not washed up) or I was expecting someone younger who didn't quite make it at the top tier clubs i.e. someone who played a handful of games for a Champions League club

Never thought I'd see the day where people are dissapointed at signing a former epl captain and world cup goalscorer at this club...

Pre-Take over I think this would be good enough. But although he played EPL Hull and West Brom Albion aren't exactly powerhouses.

If CFG were looking to make a splash this won't do it. I'd never heard of him before now. He 'might' turn out to be a good player but he's nothing I'm getting excited over. Not when we were thinking we were getting mega bucks to get someone from one of the top tier clubs in Europe. I was never expecting a great name at their peak but I was expecting a great name at the end of their career (but not washed up) or I was expecting someone younger who didn't quite make it at the top tier clubs i.e. someone who played a handful of games for a Champions League club

At least now we might actually have a player who will stick with us the whole season and not bail in January.

I think you're underestimating his quality and you're overestimating the quality of the A-League.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I didn't know who engelaar was and was rightfully doubtful. Its the same now, but we'll have to wait and see.

From his video, it looks like he can hit and ball and also find good positions for the odd deflection or so

Ive got no doubt he has talent but a 33 year old from Hull just isnt what i was expecting.

You're downgrading a Premier League club.

Mate we play in the bloody A League. Getting a player straight out of the Premier League is a big deal.

The way I see it, we have two marquees. Koren and Duff would be worthy marquees in my book.

Koren will be our leader. Our captain. He will be our energy. I'd expect him to score a few goals too. Free kick taker. He's a quality player but also a quality person.

Very happy to have him at our club.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 6

CFG stated that they weren't trying to make a splash with thr marquee spots though. They said they wanted a big player not a big name. Robert Koren is exactly that. Plus he is fairly well known to be fair.

id say 95% of people wouldnt know who he is. I had to wiki that shit to double check

I don't care if people say 'who is this bloke' when we sign him but I don't want anyone to say 'who was that bloke' by the time he leaves the club? If he makes us a 'marquee team' then I'll be happy, yes we need game winning players but its more important to have a game winning team.

• Like 2

At least now we might actually have a player who will stick with us the whole season and not bail in January.

I think you're underestimating his quality and you're overestimating the quality of the A-League.

I would prefer the marque to be here for the whole season and not leave in January, I honestly don't know his quality that's part of the problem. There's lots of players I don't know but generally you can tell the level of a player by the league they're playing in and the club within that league. If he 'only' got picked up by low-level EPL teams then got released by them that doesn't fill me with huge confidence. Of him being a superstar who will win games and will attract members/supporters. Yes playing EPL that puts him well above 99% of the A-league, I know the A-League is well below the EPL but at 33 and getting released I would have thought witht he CFG mega bucks we could have done a lot better.

I don't care if people say 'who is this bloke' when we sign him but I don't want anyone to say 'who was that bloke' by the time he leaves the club? If he makes us a 'marquee team' then I'll be happy, yes we need game winning players but its more important to have a game winning team.

Fuck it your right if we win his a ledgend in my books