Melbourne Football

Insults you've received for football

Shahanga

When Johnny Warren called his autobiography "Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters", it really struck a cord with me.

Living (& born) in Queensland and choosing to play football over Rugby League, it was pretty clear to a lot of people that I must have something wrong with me!  Whilst I can't recall being called a "wog" (didn't/don't exactly look like the stereotype) or a sheila, I did cop "poof" quite a few times. This was just where the game was back then.

I'm wondering if anyone else had similar experiences?   Hopefully not recently??  

Maybe not an insult, but some people and hockey teammates produce banter whenever I come to training wearing football jerseys and perceive me as a softy or an alien --> Usually from the aussie-only types of people who are not strong to their european heritage and just follow the usual AFL, rugby and cricket sports in my team

Edited by Young Polak

I grew up in Newcastle (aust) in the 90s. So I was called pretty much anything you can think of.

LOL - So True.

Try living in Perth in the late 90's being a mad Geelong fan and wanting an EL Falcon instead of a VS Commodore... the fact that I played Soccer was the least of my problems when it come to the Bogans and Boarders at my school.

Edited by cadete

My dad used to take me to training. Nobody called me a wog. Nobody called me a poofter. I feel like i missed out on something :P

This. I grew up in a small town with only a footy club. Everyone at my primary school ended up playing soccer at my club until they were in high school and took to AFL instead. Never had the Soccer v Footy battles as a lot of guys played both anyway.