Melbourne Football

FFV racism survey and campaign

Shahanga

I've been thinking about this for a while and finally got around to creating a thread about it.

Is anyone else surprised by the FFV and their anti-racism campaign they started up?  Not saying I don't support efforts to crack down on racism, its just that I haven't witnessed ANY at any football games in Victoria.

Do I mix in a sheltered circle? or are the FFV going off on a tangent?

Is not that i don't know what racism is - I have seen plenty of it and I've also been racially abused plenty of times - but not at a football match in Victoria.

Edited by Shahanga

I've seen racism in all sports I've ever played or attended to differing degrees. There haven't been any particular incidents that have gained media attention like there have I'm the afl recently but I don't think there's any harm in launching a campaign even if racism is a minor issue in the sport, particularly considering the racial basis of many of the old nsl teams and how the league is trying it's hardest to stop anything like that happening again.

I don't know Shahanga. Sometimes I wonder whether continually raising these subjects in the media actually assists in taking these anti-social attitudes out of our society or, in fact, works in the other way and actually hardens or entrenches attitudes. For example I heard our Race Relations Commissioner today on the radio talking about a "bamboo ceiling" where he raised the issue of people of Asian heritage being denied opportunities to rise to the top of whatever their line of activity is - business, political, etc. When it came down to it though he really did not have any evidence for such a ceiling at all and he was putting up a hypothesis. My immediate reaction was to think to myself  "Why the hell do we have this fellow in this position?", which is not what I was supposed to think.

Obviously we don't make a problem go away by ignoring it, but IMO there's a risk that by repeated commentary we can create the illusion of a problem when there really isn't one there in the first place.

I don't know Shahanga. Sometimes I wonder whether continually raising these subjects in the media actually assists in taking these anti-social attitudes out of our society or, in fact, works in the other way and actually hardens or entrenches attitudes. For example I heard our Race Relations Commissioner today on the radio talking about a "bamboo ceiling" where he raised the issue of people of Asian heritage being denied opportunities to rise to the top of whatever their line of activity is - business, political, etc. When it came down to it though he really did not have any evidence for such a ceiling at all and he was putting up a hypothesis. My immediate reaction was to think to myself  "Why the hell do we have this fellow in this position?", which is not what I was supposed to think.

Obviously we don't make a problem go away by ignoring it, but IMO there's a risk that by repeated commentary we can create the illusion of a problem when there really isn't one there in the first place.

"Bamboo Ceiling" Seriously? Haha.

Well it will be interesting if anyone comes forward with things they witnessed that troubled them.  Otherwise it looks like a bit of a distraction.  If the FFV are worried about events between specific clubs they should be addressed directly.

Bamboo Ceiling - that made me laugh - Can't recall too many Asian hobbos, but I've lost count of the number of success stories I've met.  I'm pretty convinced that some people just make stuff like this up to stay in their  job.

Well it will be interesting if anyone comes forward with things they witnessed that troubled them.  Otherwise it looks like a bit of a distraction.  If the FFV are worried about events between specific clubs they should be addressed directly.

Bamboo Ceiling - that made me laugh - Can't recall too many Asian hobbos, but I've lost count of the number of success stories I've met.  I'm pretty convinced that some people just make stuff like this up to stay in their  job.

I personally haven't witnessed anything troubling, but it seems really convenient that this 'anti-racism' campaign is coinciding with the FFA's club identity policy.

Yeah, Asians have integrated pretty well into Australian society, especially in business. The amount of Asian's in suits you see walking down Collin's Street on a weekday is remarkable.

Going back. Makedonia vs Hellas was awful. J.U.S.T vs Croatia. I remember when Awaratifi first came he copped it. J.U.S.T had a player Tyrone James he would be racially abused by both sets of fans. Being young and seeing that in retrospect is totally unacceptable.

I really can't see any person of (east) Asian heritage being discriminated against in a corporate environment, unless they are recent arrivals that can't speak English fluently (and then it's not discrimination anyway).

If anything, I think the 'hard working' and 'smart' stereotypes work to their advantage.