Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC Terrace | OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Fingman

Name is OK I think it will grow on me but has anyone thought about bringing it into a chant? It doesn't roll off the tongue easily in a chant I imagine

Alsl I think the number is a bit irrelevant every person I've told about the name and number has asked what's the number for.. I think for the name to have a number in it, it should be something that is specific to the team.. I know it has to do with Melbourne itself but everyone I've told have said why does the team logo have the year Melbourne was made a city and not the year the club was established etc.

Got to admit I'm not a fan.  I think MCT was a late comer and had a strong showing and a vote might have been worth the time. 

Either way dropping the o in 'Melburnians' looks weird, is it supposed to be like that?  It grates on my sense of spelling but if it's right, it's right.   

Bottom line is though, it is what it is.   We will come to love the name if times are good. 

Edited by JediCapitalist

As an outsider can I say well done to the lads for getting togetehr so quickly and deciding on a name.

Of course not everyone will like it, but in time people will grow to like it. As dukeofhearts said Melburnians1847 sounds even better, but am sure Melburnians will take off in time.

Someone mentioned it sounded to much like cityzens....but to be honest I didn't know City were originally nicknamed the Citizens until 3 years ago....and I have been supporting them since 1982!

I have always kown them as The Blues and will continue using that

Anyway good luck to you guys for the coming season.

Manchester City have never been nicknamed "The Citizens" I think... It was just a convenient headline for newspapers to use at a guess.

But, and this is why it would have been an awkward name, it´s the name for international memberships at Manchester City.

Manchester City have never been nicknamed "The Citizens" I think... It was just a convenient headline for newspapers to use at a guess.

But, and this is why it would have been an awkward name, it´s the name for international memberships at Manchester City.

Apparently it was the original nickname of the club M13

However, until lately I had no idea.....as I said I ahve always known them as the Blues

Name is very soft, very safe (could see it happening, with everyone trying to be politically correct trying to include women etc) but its slowly growing on me and its gonna have to grow on me because I dont have a choice I love the active area haha hopefully it does better than yarraside boys I was there from the 2nd year and never called myself a "yarraside boy" so lets see how this goes, but I do agree the logo could use work, and I prefer the 1847 just because 2014 looks stupid as its right now wed be laughed at incorporate the 2014 years down the track when it's not so fresh

Victory forum already hating on us haha. We are Melbourne!

People will show negative nature no matter what the name is, just in those Tards nature, but on the bright side at least they have something noteworthy to talk about now because victory squad is boring as bat shit! 

Edited by drewmelbcity

Some of you need to get away from this ultras mentality

:up:   If you want to be in a constant battle with the FFA, our club, stadium management, VicPol and local media, I can think of no better way of doing it than to think and act like our thickhead bretheren at WSW :P

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/best-of/66-season-20122013/1608-best-of-western-sydney-wanderers-20122013.html

Edited by HEARTinator

I've had to explain many various things to people at games, don't think of it as a chore. I don't think the problem is people's lack of knowledge in geography or politics, i think the problem lies in peoples assumptions. Take pride in explaining the stuff you like doing... You'd do the same if someone asked about a hobby of your's wouldn't you?

• Like 1

Woeful. All of it. 

There was a serious amount of discussion about having a place or a symbolic Melbourne element as the name, that would have achieved the same inclusive feeling. That seemingly has been ignored. 

A generic name is what we have. Let's face it, that's all it is. And then there is a tokenistic attachment of an irrelevant date to endeavour to show a historical twang. 

And then there is the logo. Seriously, a Katy Perry-esque album cover. That's what it is. A generic love heart in the middle of a circle. 

There was so much potential about moving in a "new direction" for a new terrace. But the lack of vote on the name, the "inner" and "outer" core still exists. None of these choices excite me one bit. 

Woeful. All of it.

...snip...

There was so much potential about moving in a "new direction" for a new terrace. But the lack of vote on the name, the "inner" and "outer" core still exists. None of these choices excite me one bit.

I'm not involved anymore, but I did go along to the first meeting to have a look.

If you're still so worried about this inner and outer core business, there's nothing stopping you from getting to the next terrace meeting and putting your hand up to help.

• Like 2

Woeful. All of it. 

There was a serious amount of discussion about having a place or a symbolic Melbourne element as the name, that would have achieved the same inclusive feeling. That seemingly has been ignored. 

A generic name is what we have. Let's face it, that's all it is. And then there is a tokenistic attachment of an irrelevant date to endeavour to show a historical twang. 

And then there is the logo. Seriously, a Katy Perry-esque album cover. That's what it is. A generic love heart in the middle of a circle. 

If you read back on previous forums you will see that the name Melburnian got a lot of mention and "vote" so by doing an official vote we would have had the same result again I repeat the name will not be accepted by a small minority and you will never be able to satisfy all but how about getting behind the boys and showing support because at the end of the day the name is not going to mean shit if there is no productive support behind it and at the risk of being unpopular the name "Yarraside" didn't have much thought behind it either but it is the boys who put the hard yards into the support that made the name popular and likable, so give the current boys the same decency to establish themselves and see you will come to enjoy the name Melburnians.

Woeful. All of it.

...snip...

I'm not involved anymore, but I did go along to the first meeting to have a look.

If you're still so worried about this inner and outer core business, there's nothing stopping you from getting to the next terrace meeting and putting your hand up to help.

You're 100% right Ando. Can't agree more. If I had the time to commit, I would, but reality is, I don't. And many others don't either. 

I think where this strays is that the distinct impress I got was that it was going to be a "committee" or "board" set up, with sub-committees for chants, tifos, flags etc. Now we are reverting to "inner core" and "outer core".

Melbournians???? ......ffs

unimaginative

Indistinctive

Why don't we just name it "Football Fans" or how about "singing Fans"

It's inclusive, relevant and bold...

Probably one of only 2 names suggested that ticked all the boxes.

Edited by LR9

Woeful. All of it.

...snip...

You're 100% right Ando. Can't agree more. If I had the time to commit, I would, but reality is, I don't. And many others don't either.

I think where this strays is that the distinct impress I got was that it was going to be a "committee" or "board" set up, with sub-committees for chants, tifos, flags etc. Now we are reverting to "inner core" and "outer core". Tbh it's the same thing biancorosso. Just a different name, the inner core if you like is the executive whilst the outer represents the committee members

Got to admit I'm not a fan.  I think MCT was a late comer and had a strong showing and a vote might have been worth the time. 

Either way dropping the o in 'Melburnians' looks weird, is it supposed to be like that?  It grates on my sense of spelling but if it's right, it's right.   

Bottom line is though, it is what it is.   We will come to love the name if times are good. 

It is spelt without an o.

Woeful. All of it.

...snip...

I think where this strays is that the distinct impress I got was that it was going to be a "committee" or "board" set up, with sub-committees for chants, tifos, flags etc. Now we are reverting to "inner core" and "outer core".

I guess that's a question for Jimmy and co going forward. Perhaps once everything is off the ground and running they can look of different governance methods? I dunno.

If you read back on previous forums you will see that the name Melburnian got a lot of mention and "vote" so by doing an official vote we would have had the same result again 

On a quick count, 32 out of 258 posts in one thread isn't really a majority, nor is it a lot of mention.

• Like 1

It's still going to be like that to be fair. It's just going to take time.

The logo will change if people want it to. We just need an alternative.

Love the name describes who we are, as for the logo to much red. We must remember our main colours are sky blue & white, so the red ring should be in sky blue then the logo would look so much better. Right now we are showing disrespect to our new owners and the club, some might not like the sky blue colour but it is what it is so deal with it. COME ON CITY

As far as the name goes, I think it's pretty good.

For those complaining about it being to boring or plain, how about Northern Terrace, Blue & White Brigade, Red Army, Red & Black Bloc, etc.. At least 'Melburnians' has a touch of class about it. Plus, the wife thinks it's shit so it must be good! :up:

I'm not sold on the logo though. I think the heart looks too clean cut. Might work better with a more crude heart, or as some have already suggested the old Heart logo (or outline of)?

Love the name describes who we are, as for the logo to much red. We must remember our main colours are sky blue & white, so the red ring should be in sky blue then the logo would look so much better. Right now we are showing disrespect to our new owners and the club, some might not like the sky blue colour but it is what it is so deal with it. COME ON CITY

lol

no

• Like 4