Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC Terrace | OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Fingman

"Our colour scheme will largely remain red and white, but as you can see by our logo we will not shy away from incorporating hints of sky blue. We are supporting Melbourne City FC and will therefore support ALL the colours of our club."

If we are supporting the colours of the club, shouldn't it be majority blue with a hint of red? Bit of a contradiction don't you think?

The only blue is the stripe on the home kit at the moment. We are predominantly white. Then why red? It's our away strip. It would be like the victards having a fluoro yellow logo.

Seriously?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that red was our primary colour for our first 5 years.

Gee I didn't know that, thanks for enlightening me. But we are no longer red, It cannot be a predominant colour of our club anymore. It needs to be acknowledged in some aspect but not a majority colour.

What's with the year? Does it have any significance at all?

I am pretty sure Melbourne was founded in 1835 and I think that's what the purpose of the 47 is. Let's just hope I'm wrong because it might look a tad silly if they are

Melbourne was granted city status in 1847. 

And so it begins......

As Libba says it reminds me of citizens, not something I chose or would vote on and a bit soft.

Hopefully it grows on me

Maybe we should be the Hard Melburnians then :)

We are the True Melburnians Im not even from melbourne. I would have supported the hearts fc in canberra or anywhere else for that matter.

People in canberra are known as canberrans

People from melbourne are known as melburnians

Fairly generic.

• Like 1

"Our colour scheme will largely remain red and white, but as you can see by our logo we will not shy away from incorporating hints of sky blue. We are supporting Melbourne City FC and will therefore support ALL the colours of our club."

If we are supporting the colours of the club, shouldn't it be majority blue with a hint of red? Bit of a contradiction don't you think?

The only blue is the stripe on the home kit at the moment. We are predominantly white. Then why red? It's our away strip. It would be like the victards having a fluoro yellow logo. Seriously?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that red was our primary colour for our first 5 years.

Gee I didn't know that, thanks for enlightening me. But we are no longer red, It cannot be a predominant colour of our club anymore. It needs to be acknowledged in some aspect but not a majority colour.

The colors will evolve naturally in my opinion. The scarf is where it starts tbh. If the majority of people like and vote for a blue scarf for example then maybe it'll take off down that path.

Same with the logo. It can always change and evolve.

The name has already started to grow on me so that's good :)
As for the logo - my opinion - it isn't the best but as noted by Jimmy it can always change and evolve so no big deal

First big step forward chaps, we're in for a good one!

Edited by CALZALOL

I find it strange that people would mention Victory also technically being 'Melburnians' when we've been singing "We are Melbourne..." and "Melbourne's red and white" as well as displaying the flag of Melbourne for years. 

The way I see it it's just a continuation of that and a way of claiming the term.

We are Melbourne City and someone from Melbourne City is a Melburnian. It makes sense and will definitely grow on people. 

• Like 2

Not my first choice as a name but I'm still very happy with the decision and I'm sure Melburnians will grow on me as much as Yarraside did.

Well in to the core for ending this madness that was last month of horrible name suggestions after another (including my own) and picking one so we can move forward.

Edited by Tbitm

What's with the year? Does it have any significance at all?

I am pretty sure Melbourne was founded in 1835 and I think that's what the purpose of the 47 is. Let's just hope I'm wrong because it might look a tad silly if they are

Melbourne was granted city status in 1847. 

Ah I see:

Melbourne becomes a city

The Town of Melbourne was raised to the status of a City by Letters Patent of Queen Victoria dated 25 June 1847, just five years after its incorporation.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/ABOUTMELBOURNE/HISTORY/Pages/SettlementtoCity.aspx

Makes perfect sense now that I know about that fact. A good historical link that emphasises both 'Melbourne' and 'city'. Also, 1847 has a nice ring to it as well. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I fully understand the fact that Melbourne became a city in 1847. I also fully understand that I have no right to have any input into this decision given my status as not being involved in the core.

I would like to suggest though that on most (if not all) logos, the year implies the creation of that specific group, whether it be a team or terrace or ice-cream. In my very humble opinion, 1847 should be changed to 2014. I implore the core to discuss this further.

I also congratulate everyone involved. An inclusive terrace is absolutely paramount for growth, the name and the logo incorporate this well. Keep up the great work everyone!

Melburnians is a very solid name.

Who would have thought back when there were four options for the original name of the club, that three of them would have been used in some capacity?

Colour scheme of the logo is good, but not really digging the heart, tbh. Needs something more relative to the city of Melbourne in there, especially since we're now known as 'Melburnians'.

Opportunity missed there, imho, but overall, good work and bring on the upcoming season!

I find it strange that people would mention Victory also technically being 'Melburnians' when we've been singing "We are Melbourne..." and "Melbourne's red and white" as well as displaying the flag of Melbourne for years. 

The way I see it it's just a continuation of that and a way of claiming the term.

We are Melbourne City and someone from Melbourne City is a Melburnian. It makes sense and will definitely grow on people. 

We're Melburnians, they are Victorians, they can go play in Morwell :D

• Like 1

I fully understand the fact that Melbourne became a city in 1847. I also fully understand that I have no right to have any input into this decision given my status as not being involved in the core.

I would like to suggest though that on most (if not all) logos, the year implies the creation of that specific group, whether it be a team or terrace or ice-cream. In my very humble opinion, 1847 should be changed to 2014. I implore the core to discuss this further.

I also congratulate everyone involved. An inclusive terrace is absolutely paramount for growth, the name and the logo incorporate this well. Keep up the great work everyone!

This so much, have banners etc. during game day with 1847 but the number on the logo should really be 2014 as Melburnians was established in 2014. It makes it look like we're pretending that there is history behind this new group when there isn't. Just my two cents, but I feel as though it should be reconsidered.

• Like 2

Now that I know about 1847 I'm pretty impressed with the logo. It has all the colours (and a good amount of red & white), the strong name Melburnians, a solid link to Melbourne Heart and the history of the club with the red & white heart and the year 1847, which acknowledges Melbourne as a city.

Pretty spot on IMO.

Edited by Murfy1

Thanks lads for going with the suggestion of Melburnians :up:

Think it was the most palatable of all options at the end.

As others have said, Yarraside had many detractors as a name when we first chose it, but it grew to be loved by many. I have no doubt it will be the same with this name and group.

Understand their were time constraints in choosing the name, just hope you guys continue to be open with everything and put less emphasis on the core. I think having inner and outer groups calling all the shots is what undid things in the past.

• Like 2

Thanks lads for going with the suggestion of Melburnians :up:

Think it was the most palatable of all options at the end.

As others have said, Yarraside had many detractors as a name when we first chose it, but it grew to be loved by many. I have no doubt it will be the same with this name and group.

Understand their were time constraints in choosing the name, just hope you guys continue to be open with everything and put less emphasis on the core. I think having inner and outer groups calling all the shots is what undid things in the past.

Yes, great point. Obviously for the group to work it needs a leadership structure with voices from varying backgrounds in order to make sound and informed decisions on varying matters. But we will DEFINITELY be keeping communication lines well and truly open with the wider fan base. This forum will be a direct link between us as the final decision makers and the voice of the greater Melbourne City community, and we will be using social media very regularly to keep everyone in the loop.

This is YOUR supporters group, we will steer it, you tell us which direction to turn :)

Missed opportunity with the logo tbh.

As a few people have said throughout the thread, the logo is open to change, this terrace is for everyone. Feel free to post your own logo ideas up here or shoot them through to us at melbournecityterrace@gmail.com

Keen to have everyones input.