Melbourne Football

Melbourne City - Manchester Training Camp

MHFC-FAN

Bury FC finished 14th in League 2 last season. 

Oldham Athletic finished 15th in League 1 last season.

Bolton Wanderers finished 14th in the Championship last season.

In the first two matches I doubt that we will be up against a full club side, and we definitely won't be in the case of Bolton, where their team is officially billed as a "Bolton XI." Stick my neck out and say that we ought to be able to win the first two, even without our "stars."

• Like 1

Its certainly a step up from playing Latrobe Uni and the "Peninsula XI"!

At the risk of attracting others wrath, i must confess I don't give a rats whether we win or lose these games.   Instead what I would hope they get out of the tour is the following:

• team camaraderie
  • an improved understanding of each other across the squad (in terms of football)
  • a honed "style of play" that is well executed with everyone playing their roles correctly
  • an enhanced level of professionalism across the squad
  • good performances, especially from the younger blokes

With all that, we should be in a good position to beat the Evil Empire in Round 1 of the FFA Cup and kick start our season. 

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 5

Its certainly a step up from playing Latrobe Uni and the "Peninsula XI"!

At the risk of attracting others wrath, i must confess I don't give a rats whether we win or lose these games.   Instead what I would hope they get out of the tour is the following:

• team camaraderie
  • an improved understanding of each other across the squad (in terms of football)
  • a honed "style of play" that is well executed with everyone playing their roles correctly
  • an enhanced level of professionalism across the squad
  • good performances, especially from the younger blokes

With all that, we should be in a good position to beat the Evil Empire in Round 1 of the FFA Cup and kick start our season. 

Correct! When it comes to preseason games, results don't really mean much.

Bury FC finished 14th in League 2 last season. 

Oldham Athletic finished 15th in League 1 last season.

Bolton Wanderers finished 14th in the Championship last season.

In the first two matches I doubt that we will be up against a full club side, and we definitely won't be in the case of Bolton, where their team is officially billed as a "Bolton XI." Stick my neck out and say that we ought to be able to win the first two, even without our "stars."

I was hoping for a match v Nottingham Forest ... Bolton will be a good test to see where we're at , very exciting for the squad.

Victory away issnt really away

Well is winning big in another country good enough for me?

These games will be invaluable to the squad considering that for almost all of Heart's Pre Season's we only got to play opponents of near A League Quality twice when we played our two designated A League Pre Season Matches before the big time started.

Victory away issnt really away

Well is winning big in another country good enough for me?

These games will be invaluable to the squad considering that for almost all of Heart's Pre Season's we only got to play opponents of near A League Quality twice when we played our two designated A League Pre Season Matches before the big time started.

Yes I agree it's a much better pre season than any time in out past and I do think it will lift our existing squad members. I'll elaborate on what I said. I hope it will end the bad away performances as they are in camp far outside their usual environment at home in Melbourne and hopefully that allows the squad to gel and to become used to performing when away from home so they can take that to away games when the season starts.

This is perhaps one of the best things to come out of our new ownership, the entire squad goes to a state of the art facility where they can improve themselves as players with experts and no doubt the coaching staff here and there has plans worked out to getting the most out of the trip of each individual player. No other aleague team has this opportunity and I hope they use it to the full effect.

• Like 1

What I am hopeful for from this exposure to elite training is that the mentality of the group improves. Over our short history on nearly all occasions when the stakes were high we failed. It wasn't because of talent or tactics per say but rather mental toughness. Last season when we played Wellington was so pathetic, that finals game away to Perth etc etc. In the other thread of our greatest moments all of those are times when there was nothing to lose, no body expected us to win. When we should win we crumble.

If anything this step up in training will finally put the players/coaches on notice on what its like to be truly processional, what is required to strive for excellence. Villa, Duff and hopefully Lampard will undoubtedly lift the on field performance, but its the off field, training side of things that will change our fortunes. Hats off to the management this is what we've been yearning for, its here now, expectations are now also massive.      

• Like 1

For 4 days, reckon they'd get more out if the Manchester trip, maybe they can do both

...er, it's 9-21 July actually.

My bad just saw "(14-18 July 2014)" in the intro

We're playing Bury behind closed doors at Carrington today (tonight AEST). There will be some triallists.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-challenge-Bury-FC/91160

Any thoughts on the motives for the "behind closed doors" side of things?

I can't  come up with much myself.  There is of course the slightly fanciful idea that an elite player is "trialing the club" (elite players don't need to trial but they would be very interested in their team mates) but I don't give that a lot of credence.

We're playing Bury behind closed doors at Carrington today (tonight AEST). There will be some triallists.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-challenge-Bury-FC/91160

Any thoughts on the motives for the "behind closed doors" side of things?

I can't  come up with much myself.  There is of course the slightly fanciful idea that an elite player is "trialing the club" (elite players don't need to trial but they would be very interested in their team mates) but I don't give that a lot of credence.

Probably at Burys request

Found two things on it

Melbourne City FC challenges Bury FC in the Club’s first match of its pre-season camp in Manchester on Tuesday evening.

Stay tuned to our Twitter and Facebook pages for all the post-match reaction from the match and follow live on Twitter.

That says to me evening manchester time so I think in about 8 hours or so. 

oooooo

slINLFVl_normal.pngMelbourne City FC @MelbourneCity · 21s

Starting XI | Redmayne (GK), Hoffman, Wielaert, Archibald (T), Ramsay, Kalmar, Mooy, Retre, Dugandzic, Williams, Brown #MBCvBFC

Presuming that means this:

--------------------- Redmayne ---------------------

-- Hoffman - Wielaert - Archibald -  Ramsay --

------------ Kalmar --- Mooy --- Retre ------------

--- Dugandzic -------------------------- Brown ---

----------------------- Williams -----------------------