Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

Profile in Australia:

Lampard>Del Piero>Kewell>Fowler>Villa

Reckon it's difficult to compare Kewell to the others; it depends on which people you're talking about. I think there'd be a heap of people in Australia that would name Harry as one of the five footballers they know and would never have heard of the others.

That's what i'd say too. For most australian's who don't have a clue about football i'd say the only two footballers they know are Kewell, Beckham and probably now Tim Cahill. For the euro-snobs ect i'd say the previous order is correct.

As far as the potential to dominate the a-league I would say Lampard is literally the best signing we could make. He's played his entire career in the UK and as far as footballing styles despite what Craig Foster would want us to believe the overall style of play in the league is most closely fitted to lower tier english football. It won't be as bigger culture shock in a footballing sense for Lampard as it would have been for Del Pierro for instance.

Thursday 10am

Next Thursday lol Last time I had the time and day correct but not the date. There were still issues with the name so it was moved back a week (at least that's what my source told me).

This time I'm just gonna just say Thursday 10am and let it be.

Edited by HeartFc

It'll be a player for sure. There are still several player spots vacant...it could be any of them. But if it's Lampard on loan I would have thought (as others have previously said) that an announcement from his new club (probably NYC) would have to come first.

It'll be a player for sure. There are still several player spots vacant...it could be any of them. But if it's Lampard on loan I would have thought (as others have previously said) that an announcement from his new club (probably NYC) would have to come first.

Agree, somehow I don't see nycfc announcing on the weekend

NYC are also after Alberto Gilardino, although he might prefer to go to China.

http://www.givemesport.com/482407-new-york-city-fcs-pursuit-of-alberto-gilardino-hits-china-stumbling-block?autoplay=on

Here the signature of Lampard for NYCFC is "widely expected."

I know we are playing second fiddle to nycfc and I understand perfectly why, however I can't but feel a little deflated with the lack of rumours surrounding who will be our marquee and the longer it goes on I feel that these loan players will make up for lack star power our marquee will have that being said of course I'm wrapped to have lampard and villa on loan

I don't care if our marquees aren't stars at the start of the season. I do care if they aren't stars by the end of the season

Nailed it. 

David Villa and Frank Lampard are fantastic, unbelievable signings but getting our marquees right is even more crucial on the field as they're the ones who'll still be around come the crunch time of the season. 

...this is of course assuming that we're getting Lampard under the cap (with NYC footing the bill), otherwise there's the possibility of him being our marquee for 10 games and then getting replaced in the January transfer window. Regardless, we need to get it right.

Let's not get too hung up on the 10 games issue. That limitation applies only to guest players. A loan player is the same as a contract player, it's just a matter of what's in the contract. So a loan player such as Lampard (assuming he then goes to NYC) could be with us for 3-5 months depending on when NYC want him actually on the ground in New York.

I think we can rely on CFG getting it right with our list. They are putting a lot into Melbourne City and I have no doubt that they are calling all the important shots. That said, this is Season One for them, so they may not get everything perfect. Again, though, I have no doubt that Season One is just part of a long-term plan for us. Rome was not built in a day.

I don't care if our marquees aren't stars at the start of the season. I do care if they aren't stars by the end of the season

Of course, but considering we've squeezed Duff inside the cap, I think it's reasonable to assume that the international marquee will be a big name.

Etihad and Lampard, with possible unveiling of new strip?

Maybe I'm asking for too much.

With the way our last announcement went I wouldn't be surprised if we got a triple whammy; sponsor announcements usually are accompanied with the logo on the kit. Although I'm more expecting to see the new kit displayed with our own marquee rather than a loan player. 

Edited by hedaik

Given that Munn has been in Abu Dhabi this week, and is still possibly there now, I'm going to guess that any announcement that might happen in the near future (like Monday at 10AM) would probably be some pretty big news.

I reckon Lampard joining us is plausible, so fingers crossed it's an announcement about Lampard on Monday (I also reckon that if NYCFC sign Lampard they won't wait so long to announce what he'll do before the start of the MLS season in March 2015. So any CFG announcement on Lampard could well announce both that he'll play for NYCFC, and that he'll play for us for a few months before the MLS season starts).