Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

Seriously, how the fuck can anyone complain about Villa and Lampard when we've had players like Maycon and Mifshit in the past.

Years of bullshit promises and dud signings werent enough for some of you lot huh?

Boggles my mind.

Not complaining I just want consistant finals appearances with a title thrown in on a blue moon (see what I did there) and I think through this process we will get there

• Like 2

Player Loopholes, City getting bigger than the Mongs, Milligan as the Tards marquee being bigger than Lampard / Duff / Villa (seriously, this was discussed), tards supporters jumping ship and coming to City, should FFA change the rules to stop City making these types of signings, Lampard being the biggest aleague signing ever, if villa, lampard and duff play in the same lineup, games will sell out, etc

There's no doubt in my mind that the entry of CFG into Australia via Melbourne City will cause FFA to review the way it goes about its A-League business. But I see that as a plus. FFA has to ultimately make a decision if it wants to grow the league in all sorts of ways, or remain a backwater down in the bottom right-hand corner of the map of the world. There is nothing to stop the other clubs seeking out wealthy owners - in actual fact both Brisbane and Sydney preceded us in that respect. I expect to see some rule changes - perhaps more clarification than change - but what's going on with us is really no more than goes on in many other leagues - short-term contracts and loans are common everywhere. Ultimately, though, FFA has to realise that if everyone else is moving forwards then if you stand still you are actually going backwards. Its challenge is to use the league's new-found wealth constructively, not to reject it because of an apparent short-term difficulty.

Edit: And for Graeme Arnold to be whining already...that's just laughable. Sydney FC have used every accounting trick in the book over past seasons.

Edited by jw1739

Would rather him not sign at all than to sign for half the season. No point playing finals if we can't compete.

Here son, go outside and take a walk, get some fresh air and think about what you've just said.

Would rather him not sign at all than to sign for half the season. No point playing finals if we can't compete.

We will be topped up come mid season ;)

We're being used as Lampard and Villa's preseason training camp. These signings are more about New York than they are Melbourne. While they would add a lot to the league and it would be great for crowds and membership etc. I'd much prefer they were to sign on for the year. I don't want to be a feeder club.

This is a one-off (or perhaps two-off?) simply because New York's first season in the MLS does not start until March 2015.

It won't be a regular occurrence.

However, one of the benefits of being in the CFG is that player pathways exist between the three clubs. I think we can expect various players to come here from both Manchester and New York from time to time, particularly developing players if it's thought that they will benefit from playing in the A-League. Don't forget that we will soon be limited to four visa players, so it's not as if the whole squad will be from overseas.

With the MLS season finishing late September, I'm sure we won't see the last of the guest stints. Expecting David Villa will return the following season for us as I'm sure he'd hate nothing more than to have 6 months in the off season. Whilst I do see the quality of the players, I'd rather we see they sign on full season deals than on these stints. I have always found these 10 game stints to be gimmicky, I think the A-League is bigger and better now that they do not require these 10 game stints. I think it should have been abolished a few years ago. 

Seriously, how the fuck can anyone complain about Villa and Lampard when we've had players like Maycon and Mifshit in the past.

Years of bullshit promises and dud signings werent enough for some of you lot huh?

Boggles my mind.

I'm not complaining about the players being signed, and I'll always, always remember the humble beginnings that our football club came from. I'm more concerned about the contracts that we're signing them on. Other than the first few seasons where the A-League was finding its feet on the Australian sporting landscape, I have always disagreed with the guest stint player rule. I think the league is stronger now and we don't need to rely on some gimmicky player contract that will get us a few headlines. The A-League can stand on its two feet now, we don't need guest stint players. 

• Like 2

Barring the league blocking us, I would think this would become standard practice in the future with the European leagues not lining up with the MLS season. I can't see NYCFC signing someone from Europe with there season ending ~June, having them play to September (after having played a full Euro season) then having them do nothing til Jan. It might be another couple of years before another big loan name but I'm thinking it will become standard practice

Boggles my mind.

I'm not complaining about the players being signed, and I'll always, always remember the humble beginnings that our football club came from. I'm more concerned about the contracts that we're signing them on. Other than the first few seasons where the A-League was finding its feet on the Australian sporting landscape, I have always disagreed with the guest stint player rule. I think the league is stronger now and we don't need to rely on some gimmicky player contract that will get us a few headlines. The A-League can stand on its two feet now, we don't need guest stint players. This. I'll feel a lot better if we lock in our own marquees on 2 year+ deals.
  • Like 3

Barring the league blocking us, I would think this would become standard practice in the future with the European leagues not lining up with the MLS season. I can't see NYCFC signing someone from Europe with there season ending ~June, having them play to September (after having played a full Euro season) then having them do nothing til Jan. It might be another couple of years before another big loan name but I'm thinking it will become standard practice

Not sure why NYCFC could not either sign the players in January, or buy them in July/August time and just instantly put them in their squads, just like signing a player mid-season in Australia or the UK?

Even if this did occasionally happen, NYCFC is not going to be signing 3 DPs every season. They will likely sign only one a year, if that, and bearing in mind that some of those, as said above, will either be signed in Jan or will move straight into the squad in August, you're probably looking at Melbourne getting a NYCFC DP once every 2 seasons or so. I honestly think that in future, the guest player slot will be more about promoting Melbourne than warming up players for New York.

Edited by Falastur

For me and I might screamed down for this but, I would prefer some City youth players as loan players as the norm. Accept that this season is unique and that NYCFC need to build a team around  3 or 4 names (big ones). How exciting would it be to see a 19 or 20 year old come here for a season and rip it up, then in 2 or 3 years become a household name around the world, and we could say that he was a product of OUR system. To have this as continual path of progression, then maybe no too far down the track an actual Australian born player takes this path. That should be the end goal and of course in the mean time a few titles here and there. 

• Like 1

Profile in Australia:

Lampard>Del Piero>Kewell>Fowler>Villa

Reckon it's difficult to compare Kewell to the others; it depends on which people you're talking about. I think there'd be a heap of people in Australia that would name Harry as one of the five footballers they know and would never have heard of the others.

Thursday 10am

Probably should elaborate?Half confirm, my strong source says 11amRong. It's 10 AM.

Where do you get your sources from? or is all hush, hush You haven't heard?

It always happens on Thursday.

Bit like the 224AM

I understand he is going to NYFC, however I would be amazed if he is confirmed to come to us before NYFC announce him as a foreigner/ marquee whatever they call it. This is me thinking loudly but is there small/long shot he could still be our marquee and CFG have played this well?

Agree that there's a measurable chance that he could be our visa marquee for much of our season.

I havent got a name or nationality... due to the simple fact of how secret this signing seems to be... 

"international recognition" is something I got

Heard the deal is done but don't have a name

Thursday night... that is all

Marquee was loosely labelled cant confirm its a marquee

I don't have a name

Thursday night/ friday

Thursday 10am

Next Thursday lol

If, we are to get Lampard, possibly the announcement may be made next week from Manchester????? 

Who knows Hoffman may announce it. 

Like i have previously stated they will not announce Lampard coming to us on loan until they have announced it in New York, on top of that I would have thought out marquee would have been announced by now and joining the squad for training in Manchester