Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

@kingofhearts

Over the course of a season, inevitably the best team will finish on top of the ladder therefore be rightfully deserving of the premiership.

With your logic, why bother with a season worth of games, lets just go straight to a finals series?

Ever wonder why 99.99% of leagues worldwide dont have a finals system?

Its unfair to the team that finishes 1st by allowing teams they are clearly not as good as them with a chance to be crowned champions.

And it's stupid.

Premiership> grand final winners all day everyday.

Real heads understand.

Not sure if I CBF'ed.

Ok fuck it, here's why finals is better at determining the real champion.

It comes down to this: the contest IS NOT EVEN across the whole season for all teams.  Small differences that reflect in no way on how good a team is can decide the champion, especially in tight seasons where ONE point can decide the champion..

Here are some examples:

Say Team A and Team B are top 2 sides, neck and neck.  They play Team C.

1.  Injuries to key players in Team C mean that Team A may play a weakened Team C, whereas Team B may have played Team C at full strength.

2.  Team A may play Team C twice at home, Team B may play Team C once at home.

3.  Team A plays team B twice and beats them, Team B plays Team C once and beats them in the first 9 weeks.  Team C then sacks their coach. Later in the seasonTeam C then beats team A once, and but beats Team B twice.

4.  The January transfer period.  Team A may have played Team C twice before Jan, Team B only once.  In Jan Team C gets gun striker, gun midfielder to replace long term injury.Team A only has to play against them once, Team B twice.

5.  Team C takes time to gell, get their tactics right.  Team  A plays them at the start of the season and hammers them.  8 weeks later, Team C has sorted itself out, and thats when Team B gets to play them.  Team B gets hammered.

Here is why Grand Final winner is the real champion.

The whole season is a preliminary round whereby the better teams are determined, and the rubbish ones are vanquished  This means the vagaries of the draw, random injuries, personel changes, time to gell etc will not decide the champion.

Each club has had the same amount if time to get its house in order:  the squad is finalised, the injuries are managed or not, the tactics and gelling has passed, the vagaries of the draw may have decided some games but less likely to have decide who plays finals, coach has got his message across or been sacked.  

What's left is to make it happen in a do or die mtch, perform under pressure and in the moment (which in itself is a test).

What other leagues do is simply what they've always done and is irrelevant.  I doubt anyone remembers why they chose first past the post.  They just did and now thats what they understand.  I doubt anyone in that system can articulate why its better.

Luck is always going to play a small part in winning the title, even in the EPL. If you happen to play a team at the start of the season when they have a few injuries and you beat them, good for you. If another team faces them a month later when those players have returned and the team is significantly stronger, then so be it. You'll never have a perfectly even competition. 

Really the only point I agree with you on is the fact that you play each team three times and therefore there's the imbalance in games at home and away. But even then, I doubt that has been a hurdle for the good teams who know how to win away from home. 

Also, injuries occur in the finals series too. Who's to say that Brisbane don't dominate all year beating every team and then suffer injuries of their own to their key players. They then play the grand final with key players gone and they lose. So are they not the best team because they had to play this one game with their best players gone and subsequently lost? No, they're the best team because they collected more points over the 27 games. And again, it comes back to the luck thing. Sometimes you just need luck in terms of not getting injuries to key players. Engelaar being the great example of how we were pretty damn unlucky last season to lose him in pre season. 

Oh and in regards to Team C taking time to gel, well essentially what you're saying in this point is that the whole 27 rounds is a preparation for the finals series. My understanding of this point you're making is that 27 rounds of head to head games is designed to get everyone ready for a few weeks of finals. That's ridiculous. If you take half a season to gel, well you're not the best team that season. And yes you have your reasons (sacked coach etc), but that doesn't mean you're the best team and so you need to wait until next season to try and win the title. Why should a team that struggles for half a season still be eligible to win the title when another team wins all 27 games? 

Why is it ridiculous?  

Your view is the journey is more important.  I believe the destination is.

If you really are the best team, you will win on the day.  If you lose to the team ranked 6th and you are first, then you don't deserve to be the champion.

I just think that there is much more skill involved in being able to maintain sustained performances and win game and after game over 27 rounds than it is to win a finals series. I think the title should be for the best team over the season and not the team who wins a grand final at the end of the year. All things aside, a team wouldn't win the grand final if they weren't at least in the top 2 or 3 sides anyway so it's not like we're gonna be seeing teams finished 6th and winning the grand final.

But evidently we have different views on what defines 'the best team' and so we probably will have to agree to disagree. 

Dudes be tripping...

End of the day, say a team ranked 6 or so who has lost maybe 8 more times than the team that finished 1st with out losing a game all year beats the number 1 placed team in a grand final, is that a true and proper representation of a deserving champion?

I think not.

Lots of leagues worldwide think the same too.

And yet no-one has done it.  Nor from 8th in the AFL.  Your fears have no factual basis.

I dont know why you brought the AFL into because it only helps his argument seeing as the position he mentioned was 6th and a 6th placed side has beaten the 1st place side for the premiership in 1998.

However FWIW I am for the finals because the Season has far to many crap meaningless and boring fixtures that no finals would see many lose interest way to early in the course of the Season considering there is already no relegation.

He brought up 6th in the A-League beacsue it is the last finals team spot.  The last finals spot in the AFL is 8th, and no-one has won a Grand Final from 8th.

They have still won from sixth which is ridiculous enough as it means they were still five other better team in the regular Season like the A-League example...

Edited by cadete

How many teams have won the a-league grand final that haven't at least finished in the top 2 in the regular season though? Just because one time a team won from outside the top echelon doesn't make the whole system broken in fact, wouldn't you say that makes the finals more magical? Just have to agree to disagree on this point.

• Like 1

The problem in the aleague is the finals series gets so much more attention that it overshadows the team that performed the best for the majority of the season. I think having both is good, and ideally both should receive equal attention at the very least. But in this country as others have said the people and the media love finals and unfortunately that's the way it will stay for quite some time.

• 4 months later...

See foxsports.com.au

However, according to the report Frank Lampard, like David Villa, will not be here for the season.

He will be playing with us to stay fit before moving to our owner's MLS franchise New York City in time for their season.

So he's effectively another guest player.

What do folks think about us being used in this way to help New York City?

In this the way folks want our club to be run?

They can send all their players if they like but that doesn't necessarily mean we are going to use them! :D Now, that is the kind of response I want JVS to take. Be assertive and tell them I don't care who you are but when you are with us, you train and will not be guaranteed a spot in the first 11!

Will never happen considering he is being paid by this lot (cfg) while David villa experiment was not handled well we are now a better side without him so it would seem it was a blessing in disguise.

Now New York City have been short changed because Lampard is starring in the EPL for Manchester City.

If Lampard was going to play another season in the EPL, then what the hell is he doing moving from Chelsea to Manchester City for that season when he was a Chelsea legend and still wanted by Chelsea?

Chelsea supporters applauded him when Manchester City played Chelsea. I wonder if they are going to be so generous next time this season.

• Like 1

What it has done is publicly confirmed the pecking order between the club/franchises

I think everyone understood that. But what CFG need to learn is how to go about these things. I'm pretty sure most Melbourne City supporters and potential NYC supporters value what CFG is doing and will do for the lesser clubs in the Group, but that does not mean and probably will never mean that they actually support Manchester City.

Now New York City have been short changed because Lampard is starring in the EPL for Manchester City.

If Lampard was going to play another season in the EPL, then what the hell is he doing moving from Chelsea to Manchester City for that season when he was a Chelsea legend and still wanted by Chelsea?

Chelsea supporters applauded him when Manchester City played Chelsea. I wonder if they are going to be so generous next time this season.

Remember Lamps' contract was not renewed by Chelsea, and that he was originally signed by NYC with every indication that he would spend the first half of the A-League season with us on loan. Thanks to the idiots at FFA deciding to deprive the A-League of probably its biggest ever star, alternative arrangements had to be made for Lampard to keep fit while waiting to join NYC for pre-season as of January 2015.

I don't think it's what has happened that is the problem here. Just like Villa it's how it's been handled.

Edited by jw1739

Yes, you're right. His time was up at Chelsea.

FFA by being so insular and trying to equalise everything are now badly holding back the A League.

By changing the rules to effectively stop Lampard playing with Melbourne City they cost the A League thousands in increased attendances and TV viewing audiences and free media publicity. :angry: 

• Like 1

Did lol at this post (from another thread):

The kit bothered me. The Lampard situation made me leave. I was willing to support a club that wore Manchester City colors. I will not support a club that is an inferior minor league team to a club I bear no allegiance to.

Maybe I was naive to think CFG cared about what was best for NYCFC. Maybe I should have known better. But it turns out this was never the club I thought it was, and I never was a supporter of what it actually is.

Goodbye NYCFC.

The kit bothered me. The Lampard situation made me leave. I was willing to support a club that wore Manchester City colors. I will not support a club that is an inferior minor league team to a club I bear no allegiance to.

Maybe I was naive to think CFG cared about what was best for NYCFC. Maybe I should have known better. But it turns out this was never the club I thought it was, and I never was a supporter of what it actually is.

Goodbye NYCFC.

Honestly what did he expect NYCFC to be? Its not like it was an old club rebranded.

• Like 1

Tbh i was happy when he wasn't allowed to play with us for 10 games, just seeing what Villa did to the team was enough to put me off this whole guest stint idea.

Yes i know hes one of the biggest players in the world but i don't really give a shit about getting a photo or whatever with him, i'm interested in whats best for the team, and after seeing what happened with villa, i'd rather just go with the players we have signed for the whole season.

At the end of the day coffy with hoffy> Guest stints.

• Like 4

Hmmm, it'll be interesting to see if the vitriol dies down by the time frankie arrives in NY, he was already starting behind the 8 ball after his 9/11 comments.

If he ends up over there his first game will be compulsive viewing for usa soccer fans, can you imagine someone like adp or engelaar running out to a chorus of boos from their own supporters? A lot of pressure on Villa in the meantime...

Goodbye NYCFC.

Honestly what did he expect NYCFC to be? Its not like it was an old club rebranded.

The only way Melbourne City is different from NYCFC is that we are further down the pecking order.

Goodbye NYCFC.

The only way Melbourne City is different from NYCFC is that we are further down the pecking order.

At this point in time yes, though alot of people chose to follow Heart for various reasons.  The club changed when it was bought out and rebranded.  The ongoing arguments on here show that the club has changed.  With NYCFC I cannot see how this guy has jumped on board and not expected it to be what it is. 

• Like 1

It's times like this that I wish we had mifsud, maycon, maiweus, worm, Fred back those were the glorious days ;)

This.

Why do some people look back on the past with such rose coloured glasses?

Makes me sick thinking how long JA was allowed to stay on as manager, not to mention one million other things that were fucked with the club.

But hey, at least we got to wear red shirts!

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 1

It's times like this that I wish we had mifsud, maycon, maiweus, worm, Fred back those were the glorious days ;)

This.

Makes me sick thinking how long JA was allowed to stay on as manager, not to mention one million other things that were fucked with the club.

Sorry but your username is RedAndWhitePride........

• Like 1

This.

But hey, at least we got to wear red shirts! It baffles me also.

I can understand how some are annoyed with the villa situation.

But as I see it our club is starting to hit some good form, our young players are playing well. Our marquee scored a hat trick for his debut as a starter. Paartalu is starting to regain fitness and a league form. Mooy is playing out of his skin. If all goes well we will have a big man target soon in the form of Jesus.

The whole guest/ loan player seems to be one big mess but the new players we have gained over the off season are starting to look real good.

Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 1

This.

Sorry but your username is RedAndWhitePride........

Sure is.

Was my username before Heart ever played an A-League game, then red essentially became synonymous with shit over the years unfortunately, so finally supporting a semi-pro club has been a small compromise for giving up the red. 

Besides, I get my red fix through Liverpool anyway. :up:

This.

But hey, at least we got to wear red shirts! It baffles me also.

I can understand how some are annoyed with the villa situation.

But as I see it our club is starting to hit some good form, our young players are playing well. Our marquee scored a hat trick for his debut as a starter. Paartalu is starting to regain fitness and a league form. Mooy is playing out of his skin. If all goes well we will have a big man target soon in the form of Jesus.

The whole guest/ loan player seems to be one big mess but the new players we have gained over the off season are starting to look real good.

Yes, agreed about the guest situation, but at least Villa playing merely four games was better than Beckham, Ronaldinho, Holt etc etc playing for us in Scott Munn's media circus fantasy land.

Things definitely feel different now compared to the empty promises of Heart.