Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

On first hearing about this I was rather annoyed about us getting another NYCFC marquee on loan, whilst we're yet to hear anything really concrete about our actual permanent marquees.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it's a very good idea, for these reasons: 

- It will probably be a once off, where we temporarily have 2 NYCFC marquees, so I'm certain we won't have to worry about this being a regular occurrence (as in future seasons NYCFC will be established, and players will just do pre-season with them)

- If we were to sign both Villa and Lampard, it would be a massive breakthrough for the A-League. Other star footballers around the world would be much more keen to play in the A-League and thus follow in Villa's and Lampard's footsteps. So even if these moves are temporary, it is really in our self interest for these moves to occur, as it will make it more possible and easier to sign other world class marquees to our club going forward

- Our club would start with a bang and be known worldwide, like LA Galaxy, and it would be much easier to promote the club, sell memberships and sell tickets to games. I've complained about the club's promoting & advertising thus far, and if we were to sign both Villa and Lampard the club pretty much wouldn't have to worry about advertising. And personally I'd much prefer for people to learn and know about our club for football reasons, like signing star players, than for saturating Australian TV with a big TV advertising campaign (or some other more superficial method of promotion), for instance

- I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to worry about green seats at AAMI Park. With the way things are moving I think there's a possibly that our crowds might overshadow victory's by next season (especially if victory keep putting together a not-too-good, defensively weak team, coached by muscat), and that would be a very pleasant development

- I expect we'll still sign both an international marquee and an Australian marquee, as I'll explain below

I've been sceptical about things done by CFG before. But in this instance, I think they simply deserve a lot of credit for managing or attempting to fill our team with world class, household name footballers for next season. So IMO they deserve credit for creatively fitting so many star players into our team, rather than being begrudged in a very glass-half-empty manner for the fact that 2 of these players (who probably couldn't & wouldn't have joined our team otherwise) will then move on to NYCFC next year. You only get to make one first impression, and thankfully it looks like we'll have an incredible squad next season that will make the best possible impression.

• Like 3

I'm pretty certain Lampard will be loaned to our club, and therefore will be a Visa player who's under the salary cap. That would fit together with the report that our club overlooked Eredivisie player Ryan Koolwijk because it wanted to sign 'a bigger name', as apart from our own international marquee the other and final Visa spot will go to Lampard on a loan deal.

The rules surrounding loan players aren't watertight, so if CFG wanted to sign Lampard to our club 'inside the salary cap' on loan, I'm pretty certain that they could. I'm not exactly sure on the method they might/will use to accomplish this, but there are probably a few different ways they could manage to sign Lampard to our club as a loan player. 

As for what will happen to our team after Villa and Lampard are gone, I reckon Kennedy will be signed by our club and will replace Villa after he's gone. And I reckon the international marquee we sign will probably be a midfielder who can play in Lampard's position after he's gone. Indeed, I reckon there's a real chance that we'll have Villa, Lampard and an international marquee midfielder all in our team for roughly the first half of next season. So whilst maybe no players could perfectly replace Villa and Lampard, I reckon we'll get our own marquees that will sufficiently replace Villa and Lampard after they leave for NYCFC around January. And then hopefully our team will roll on and build on a successful first half of the season, and finish the season with some silverware.

Having Lampard, Villa and Duff in the side is big as it is, but with an international and Australian marquee to add to the squad, just watch Sydney FC try and join the "arms race" :)

It would certainly be getting their nose out of joint with all these signings in particular, given they apprently must be the only club that can get big names to play for them....

Having Lampard, Villa and Duff in the side is big as it is, but with an international and Australian marquee to add to the squad, just watch Sydney FC try and join the "arms race" :)

It would certainly be getting their nose out of joint with all these signings in particular, given they apprently must be the only club that can get big names to play for them....

Sydney FC is a 'big club', Sydney is an 'international city'...... :wub:

Sydney FC is a 'big club', Sydney is an 'international city'...... :wub:

Yeah, they love to make themselves feel all warm inside... Pity its all just a hollow feeling they have :)

Even MV have actually been a big club that has actually tried to play football over the years. SFC just go for attention.

• Like 1

No excuses from JVS now. Championship or he's out the door.

I actually see this as a bigger test for JVS really.

Trying to fit players of that quality into a team only to then have to replace them mid season will be hard. It will be a challenge for sure.

Well the JVS fan boys wont be able to blame the Cattle this Season...

• Like 1

No excuses from JVS now. Championship or he's out the door.

I actually see this as a bigger test for JVS really.

Trying to fit players of that quality into a team only to then have to replace them mid season will be hard. It will be a challenge for sure.

Well the JVS fan boys wont be able to blame the Cattle this Season...

Very true there.

Will be interesting to see what he has gained from his time in Manchester, implementing new strategies and plans for this year.

Well, JvS put his hand up for the job.

Lampard: 106 caps for England.

Villa: 97 caps for Spain

Duff: 100 caps for the Republic of Ireland

Mooy (3) and Kisnorbo (18) both Australian internationals.

There can be no excuses.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

There can be no excuses.

Didn't Williams play for the Soccerroos too?

There can be no excuses.

Yes. Sorry. Missed him.

There can be no excuses.

Yes. Sorry. Missed him.

I don't think that counts though. Its williams.

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can onlY have one guest stint player meaning Lampard would be on loan. But loan players are within the cap, and there is no way we could afford Lampard within the salary cap. Some dodgy financing will probably be taking place between New York and us.

not really dodgy.. we did the same thing with Behich last season iirc

Potentially:

Redmayne

Germano Kisnorbo Wielaert Garrucio

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Villa      Kennedy     Duff

Still hoping for one more quality CM in a similar role to Engelaar, and a left back.

I was a bit skeptical today about Lampard comming, mainly because he is another guest player and I was a bit like, 'well when are we going to get more Melbourne City players rather than NYCFC players?' but its pretty hard to not be very excited about Lampard comming...

I think the Ballarat game (in both halves) might give a bit of an indication of how we want to play this year.

So going by that it might be

Germano Weilaert Kisnorbo Garrucio

Lampard

Mooy            Mauk

Duga               Villa                Duff

Edited by Dylan

Pretty sure you can onlY have one guest stint player meaning Lampard would be on loan. But loan players are within the cap, and there is no way we could afford Lampard within the salary cap. Some dodgy financing will probably be taking place between New York and us.

not really dodgy.. we did the same thing with Behich last season iirc

Potentially:

Redmayne

Germano Kisnorbo Wielaert Garrucio

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Villa Kennedy Duff

Still hoping for one more quality CM in a similar role to Engelaar, and a left back.

I was a bit skeptical today about Lampard comming, mainly because he is another guest player and I was a bit like, 'well when are we going to get more Melbourne City players rather than NYCFC players?' but its pretty hard to not be very excited about Lampard comming...

I think the Ballarat game (in both halves) might give a bit of an indication of how we want to play this year.

So going by that it might be

Germano Weilaert Kisnorbo Garrucio

Lampard

Mooy Mauk

Duga Villa Duff

Lol, if Lamps plays as DM then JVS deserves to lose his job on the spot.

• Like 4

Not announced by the club yet, so until that happens there is always the chance the deal will fall over.  Having said that, its incredible news. 

One particularly exciting thing about bring in the quality of Villa, Lampard and Duff is that everyone else will be scrambling for first XI spots.  In my view a real problem with our first four seasons has been the lack of pressure on players to hold their spots.  Too many underperformers kept their spots simply by being fit.  Now the entire squad knows that if you slip up some hungry dog on your heals will go straight in.

From personal experience I can tell you when you have to fight to start, it focuses your attention and you find every gear you've got!  Bring it on.

• Like 2

Frank Lampard joining would be great news on the Football side of things - A league and for Melbourne
But its for one major focus really - Put bums on seats + Sell Memberships = Business 

A friend of mine contacted me after hearing the news ( a friend i convinced to become a Heart fan ) He said 

"what has happened to the Football Philosophy? - I thought this was a team that was building" 

"its great that these Famous players are coming to this club, but is the intention to Buy the Premiership ... Just like City have?

I paused for thought, 

Player Loopholes, City getting bigger than the Mongs, Milligan as the Tards marquee being bigger than Lampard / Duff / Villa (seriously, this was discussed), tards supporters jumping ship and coming to City, should FFA change the rules to stop City making these types of signings, Lampard being the biggest aleague signing ever, if villa, lampard and duff play in the same lineup, games will sell out, etc

Frank Lampard would easily be the biggest signing in A-League history.

Villa was a bigger signing, not by a huge amount though.Rong with a capital "R". Lampard is a much bigger name.

Villa is the better player however.

I concur people relate to lampard more than villa that being said can't go past a bloke who is Spain's all time scorer in a time they dominated world football

Frank Lampard would easily be the biggest signing in A-League history.

Villa was a bigger signing, not by a huge amount though. Rong with a capital "R". Lampard is a much bigger name.

Villa is the better player however.

Among the global footballing community Villa is a bigger and better player. In Australia maybe Lampard is more well known only because the English league gets shown much more than any other league.

• Like 1

Would rather him not sign at all than to sign for half the season. No point playing finals if we can't compete.

Here son, go outside and take a walk, get some fresh air and think about what you've just said.

Would rather him not sign at all than to sign for half the season. No point playing finals if we can't compete.

We will be topped up come mid season ;)

We're being used as Lampard and Villa's preseason training camp. These signings are more about New York than they are Melbourne. While they would add a lot to the league and it would be great for crowds and membership etc. I'd much prefer they were to sign on for the year. I don't want to be a feeder club.

Here son, go outside and take a walk, get some fresh air and think about what you've just said.

We will be topped up come mid season ;)

We're being used as Lampard and Villa's preseason training camp. These signings are more about New York than they are Melbourne. While they would add a lot to the league and it would be great for crowds and membership etc. I'd much prefer they were to sign on for the year. I don't want to be a feeder club.

This is a one-off (or perhaps two-off?) simply because New York's first season in the MLS does not start until March 2015.

It won't be a regular occurrence.

However, one of the benefits of being in the CFG is that player pathways exist between the three clubs. I think we can expect various players to come here from both Manchester and New York from time to time, particularly developing players if it's thought that they will benefit from playing in the A-League. Don't forget that we will soon be limited to four visa players, so it's not as if the whole squad will be from overseas.