Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

Always believed he'd come here regardless of vague information negative or positive. 

It's the best option without any others in the same ball park.

NYCFC want him to, as they've shown with Villa, otherwise he's doing Pim Verbeek training for 8 months.

Anything is possible, but we've always been the default result, unless proven otherwise.

man city now favourite to get lampard on loan on skybet with us 2nd, wouldn't make much of it seeing this,
Manchester City are planning one more summer deal, with only a centre-back required to complete their squad. Chief executive Ferran Soriano has said

We have a new right-back, we have a holding midfielder, we’ll have a new central defender and that’s it. 
We don’t need to sign new players for the sake of it.

Edited by Thrillhouse

man city now favourite to get lampard on loan on skybet with us 2nd, wouldn't make much of it seeing this,

Manchester City are planning one more summer deal, with only a centre-back required to complete their squad. Chief executive Ferran Soriano has said

We have a new right-back, we have a holding midfielder, we’ll have a new central defender and that’s it. We don’t need to sign new players for the sake of it.

http://www.skybet.com/football/transfer-specials/event/16811470

There were reports very early on that he would go on loan to Man City to help fill their home grown quota...

Even if he doesn't play, it's a viable option for him, gives him another 6 months to sort out his affairs close to home.

And as for never wanting to play for another English team besides Chelsea, obviously we can't put ourselves in his shoes, but I don't see it as being that big an issue if it's only temporary and he doesn't play against Chelsea. And, if he doesn't play against Chelsea, he could be seen to be helping the Blues indirectly, by helping City take points against Chelsea's other league rivals.

There were reports very early on that he would go on loan to Man City to help fill their home grown quota...

Even if he doesn't play, it's a viable option for him, gives him another 6 months to sort out his affairs close to home.

And as for never wanting to play for another English team besides Chelsea, obviously we can't put ourselves in his shoes, but I don't see it as being that big an issue if it's only temporary and he doesn't play against Chelsea. And, if he doesn't play against Chelsea, he could be seen to be helping the Blues indirectly, by helping City take points against Chelsea's other league rivals.

If he joins Manchester city it totally goes against him never wanting to play against Chelsea, whether they play each other or not he is playing in a league for a team that is rival to Chelsea, I think he is done with epl.

He's not going to Manchester. There's been absolutely no rumours in that direction in the UK press, we don't need him for our homegrown quota and we've already signed a new midfielder to round out the centre of our formation so there's no need for him. He wouldn't get any game time.

He's not going to Manchester. There's been absolutely no rumours in that direction in the UK press, we don't need him for our homegrown quota and we've already signed a new midfielder to round out the centre of our formation so there's no need for him. He wouldn't get any game time.

He would need to push out toure, Silva, nasri I don't see this happening

• Like 1

Really not fussed by us signing him anymore.

Over time I went from being positive about it, then indifferent and now just see it being more of an issue than anything else.

The attitude of Villa (sees it as getting the rust out of the system) really does not need to be amplified with Lampard joining us with the same mindset. We do want to see some commitment, not just a bit of fun for them to keep active.

• Like 1

Really not fussed by us signing him anymore.

Over time I went from being positive about it, then indifferent and now just see it being more of an issue than anything else.

The attitude of Villa (sees it as getting the rust out of the system) really does not need to be amplified with Lampard joining us with the same mindset. We do want to see some commitment, not just a bit of fun for them to keep active.

I'm not fussed about him either. I never really thought he would come because of his personal circumstances.

TBH I'll be delighted with Koren as the fourth visa player and foreign marquee, and the fifth being someone such as Poole, Evans or Davies, all of whom have the potential to really give us something over an extended period of time.

One part-season guest/foreign loan player is enough in one season.

[quote name="jw1739" post="196586" timestamp="140693704

Especially when it's David Effing Villa!

Seriously the fact we are getting Villa for ten games is kind of ridiculous.

I just hope this really is a new team and we don't somehow manage to make him crap!

Edited by drewmelbcity

[quote name="jw1739" post="196586" timestamp="140693704

Especially when it's David Effing Villa!

Seriously the fact we are getting Villa for ten games is kind of ridiculous.

I just hope this really is a new team and we don't somehow manage to make him crap!

I'm still sceptical he will play ten games

Ever since it was reported that his missus was unhappy about going anywhere but to New York I´ve been in doubts about seeing him play for MelbC.. But we´ll have to wait and see.
That said I can´t see that Melbourne really need Lampard, not in the same way that you need attacking players at least.

• Like 1

I think Lampard will join Man City on loan mainly because he wants to play in the England National Team, and with the Euros qualifiers fast approaching Lampard would want to be playing at the highest level he can to make the England squad. Maybe Man City's homegrown quota is a factor, but Lampard's seeming keenness to play on for England is the main factor that'll determine his loan move IMO.

I agree I actually think we're fine with our attacking midfielders. And as someone who wants to see Mauk at least make substitute appearances for the team, I think we don't need another attacking midfielder. 

He could play in Cup matches perhaps? Or the occasional match against weak PL opposition, or substitute appearances?

I don't fully understand how Lampard's loan will work, and what he intends/expects to do on loan (who knows, maybe it'll just be a few glorified months of training, with him playing in few/no matches), but my money is on him joining up with Man City with the goal in mind of him making the England squad. And as long as he actually doesn't feature in a match against Chelsea, he might think he hasn't contradicted his former statement that he wouldn't play in another English team against Chelsea.

I guess we'll learn more about this loan move soon enough.  

Lamps isn't coming and do we really need him given our surfeit of midfielders? We all know that what we need is a decent striker to cover for Villa because Willo can't play that role effectively. Yes he banged them in last season but I want a sharp shooter that can make a goal keeper work more often than not - something like the Albanian Sharp Shooter the Tards pinched from Brissy.

As I have mentioned earlier, having players like say Lampard in the squad is not a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.. In due time you´ll be keeping a critical eye on what players are available and what they can contribute.
Lampard is not a "must have" player looking at the team, a striker like Villa is so much "we need dis" that it hurts :ph34r:

As for attracting crowds, well.. a remarkable player will attract them a short time, but a winning team will pull the crowds forever..

• Like 2

Why didn't he just stay with Chelsea then sign for NYCFC in January?

I don't think Chelsea wanted him, but otherwise that'd make the most sense.

I say it's the fiancé

Of course it is. She didn't even like moving from Northern Ireland to London.

Lampard joining Man City... unbelievable..

didn't he say that he could never play for another EPL team hence the reason to sign for NYCFC in the MLS???

I guess everyone has a price ....

You didn't actually believe him did you?

I just assumed it was the normal tripe ran out for the fans.  I guess my biggest surprise is that he has joined Man City on loan and not QPR.