Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

See foxsports.com.au

However, according to the report Frank Lampard, like David Villa, will not be here for the season.

He will be playing with us to stay fit before moving to our owner's MLS franchise New York City in time for their season.

So he's effectively another guest player.

What do folks think about us being used in this way to help New York City?

In this the way folks want our club to be run? 

In this the way folks want our club to be run? 

No. I'd rather we sign the 'Maltese Messi' and go 19 matches without a win instead of signing players from the best leagues in the world. 

How quickly people forget. Imagine if a year ago someone said we'd have David Villa for 10 matches this season! 

Mate you have summed it up perfectly! i would give you 50 likes if I could 

• Like 1

We are being used in this way because NYCFC are not playing until 2015.... when we prep for 2015-16 season our pre season and signings will have little to do with NY.

Also, for the city group, I believe NY would be of higher importance and priority than Melbourne, but us being secondary behind them isnt a bad thing considering we still are going on one hell of a well structured and professional roller coaster

• Like 2

So the two best players in our club's history will be leaving halfway through the season? Second half of the season will be interesting then... imagine how much it will unbalance the team. Don't like the way we're already becoming New York's pre-season training camp.

• Like 2

So the two best players in our club's history will be leaving halfway through the season? Second half of the season will be interesting then... imagine how much it will unbalance the team. Don't like the way we're already becoming New York's pre-season training camp.

Do you want villa and lampard to play for us as opposed to them not having anything to do with us?

• Like 2

I see it a little differently as in the effect it will have on our 'fringe' players.

Surely they will be driven to fight for these spots in the team once the big names go?

I can't see how it wouldn't make players such as Ramsay, Williams, etc better. There will be no room for complacency now. If they don't there will always be someone else driven to take these spots.

For me it's just a win-win situation for us.

Inmyheart I don't want us to base our entire season around the first 10 games and leaving a gaping hole in the squad for the rest of the season. Awesome to sign such incredible players but what effect will it have on our finals campaign if they leave halfway through? That's my only issue with this.

• Like 1

People need to take into account that when villa and lampard leave the club will likely replace them with someone. Obviously not the same quality but you don't just leave a hole like that when you shit 100k every morning.

Nah, we should play Willow as our Number 9 and Hoff as our number 10 all season because nobody else is ever going to want to sign them... :rolleyes:

This way we will never have fill in any gaps. :up:

:wormy: :wormy: :wormy:

Edited by cadete

Pretty sure you can onlY have one guest stint player meaning Lampard would be on loan. But loan players are within the cap, and there is no way we could afford Lampard within the salary cap. Some dodgy financing will probably be taking place between New York and us.

Pretty sure you can onlY have one guest stint player meaning Lampard would be on loan. But loan players are within the cap, and there is no way we could afford Lampard within the salary cap. Some dodgy financing will probably be taking place between New York and us.

not really dodgy.. we did the same thing with Behich last season iirc

Potentially:

Redmayne

Germano Kisnorbo Wielaert Garrucio

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Villa      Kennedy     Duff

Still hoping for one more quality CM in a similar role to Engelaar, and a left back.

pay him minimum for his stint from our cap. NYCFC will pay the big bucks when he gets their. 

People need to take into account that when villa and lampard leave the club will likely replace them with someone. Obviously not the same quality but you don't just leave a hole like that when you shit 100k every morning.

Exactly right... Someone mentioned that Ronaldinho's contract ends at the end of the year. I can only hope and dream that we get a player of that caliber!!

• Like 1

Not sure how the guess player element works and if you can have 2 at anyone time? Is it possible that either Villa or Lampard will be used as an international marquee? Example

Villa guest player to leave after round 10.

Lampard international Marquee leaving in February.. (1 month before MLS begins)

Lampard being the older of the 2 might not need to do a pre-season with NYCFC, and getting game time until MLS starts might suit..

On a side note: The Rubbish that is Victory announce the signing of Mark Milligan... and we announce the Signing of Frank Lampard ... enough said....

Not sure how the guess player element works and if you can have 2 at anyone time? Is it possible that either Villa or Lampard will be used as an international marquee? Example

Villa guest player to leave after round 10.

Lampard international Marquee leaving in February.. (1 month before MLS begins)

Lampard being the older of the 2 might not need to do a pre-season with NYCFC, and getting game time until MLS starts might suit..

On a side note: The Rubbish that is Victory announce the signing of Mark Milligan... and we announce the Signing of Frank Lampard ... enough said....

One guest player per season.

See Tesla's post above for the likely set-up.

I can imagine the vic mongs are probably coming up with a negative spin on this to make themselves feel better.

Forever in our shadow.

They're always good for a laugh.

A comment I saw in regards to them potentially signing Delpierre: "At least we're signing good players for more than 10 games".

As far as I'm concerned, Duff > Delpierre

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

We are being used in this way because NYCFC are not playing until 2015.... when we prep for 2015-16 season our pre season and signings will have little to do with NY.

Also, for the city group, I believe NY would be of higher importance and priority than Melbourne, but us being secondary behind them isnt a bad thing considering we still are going on one hell of a well structured and professional roller coaster

Your right there.

This year we can maximise some of the value from the NYCFC signings, but moving forward we will hopefully be able to find our own position in the group. Being the number 3 priority for CFG (1/ Man City, 2/ NYCFC, 3/ Melb City, 4/ Yokohama) would still be a better position to be in than we were before the takeover.

Australia is a smaller market, which makes sense why it is prioritising its $100 million licence fee investment in its NYC venture over us. NYC is a big market, with a growing market for our game in that country, they would be crazy not to try and focus much of its attention on it this year.

We are a club that has its foundations already set up, with tweaking of its structure and a renewed focus on investing in taking us to the next level required. Its a lot less capital intensive than the NYC venture will be.

Next I hope to hear news on new facilities, as that is a key plank of our future viability really, and where we can add value to CFG into the future.

Potentially:

Redmayne

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Still hoping for one more quality CM in a similar role to Engelaar, and a left back.

I am drooling at that side as laid out , go you red and white.!!!

• Like 1

Fucking awesome :up:

Still feels weird though going from signing maycon to signing villa and lampard. Usually the club by this time is feeding us some bullshit about how their training real well and how their ready for a big season. Nice to actually see their talking with their signing's not their mouths.

Potentially:

Redmayne

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Villa and Kennedy won't be here at the same time. Kennedy will join after the j-league season, which conveniently coincides with Villa leaving.

• Like 1

Potentially:

Redmayne

Mooy Murdocca

Lampard

Still cant see us being a serious consistent contender with our fullbacks and GK

I know it is basically already confirmed by my source says that Lampard should arrive when our contingent return back from Manchester in late July, along with Duff and Villa.

I thought it had been stated Villa would come a month or so before the season. By the time they get back, its around 2 months he would be here.

Duff is said to be coming within the next few days from what I read.

Lampard, who knows? :)