Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

TBH I actually wouldn't mind if it were at epping. It has a 'capacity' of 10k and to have it packed out and bursting at the seems might make a better atmosphere than a half full AAMI

The capacity is theoretically 10k, if 10k people actually tried to go to Epping Stadium, at least a few thousand wouldn't get in because they'll be stuck in traffic outside the stadium until the game has ended.

• Like 3

Good date and time. The team now has 6 weeks to prepare and settle in any new signings instead of 5 weeks (it seems that the match was meant to be on either August 5 or August 12, and thankfully it's on August 12). And 7:30 is a pretty good time for a weekday match, so hopefully a good crowd can be in attendance.

It seems that many/most of the FFA cup matches with A-League sides are still yet to confirm their venues. Only 3 A-League sides are hosting a Round of 32 match, and only Adelaide have confirmed their venue as of today (curiously Adelaide opted not for their normal stadium, but for a stadium with several thousand capacity). And out of the 4 matches where state league sides are hosting an A-League side, only half have confirmed their venues (whereas the 9 state league side vs state league side games have confirmed their venues already).

I still think this game has to be at AAMI Park. I reckon there's great atmosphere at AAMI even if the crowd is between 7,000 and 10,000, and I reckon a match against Sydney FC, that's Melbourne City's first competitive match, should be able to draw a crowd that's at least between 7k and 10k (especially if there's at least a few players that will interest a crowd [Duff or better], and especially if there's good promotion of the club and this fixture leading into this match [hint hint Melbourne City]).            

The club has said that Duff "is due to join his new teammates in July", so he could possibly join up with the team this week. And even if he joins up with the team at the end of July, he should have about 2 weeks training with the team before the FFA Cup match against Sydney, so he'd probably still be in contention to play then (that is, play at least some part of the match).

Hopefully a few other players join the team soon, so they can be ready to play against Sydney come August 12. There's still a good amount of time for a few new players to join the team, do at least a few weeks of training and play some friendly matches and be ready for August 12. It all depends though how much the club are actually planning/preparing for the FFA Cup, as opposed to just the start of the season. I guess we'll find out soon.    

Lakeside might sound Hip and Retro to some but there will end up being a number of problems if the match is played there...

The lack of a nearby train line being the most obvious...

And the need for extra Catering could also cause a dilemma...

Plus there is fact that there are many places at the ground where you don't get a good view like you would at AAMI.

Lakeside might sound Hip and Retro to some but there will end up being a number of problems if the match is played there...

Plus there is fact that there are many places at the ground where you don't get a good view like you would at AAMI.

I think you may well be overestimating the amount of people who will go to this match. Hope I am wrong, but just can't see it needing anything too big.

I know we would love to see big numbers come, but history shows that mid week matches, and especially ones played in mid winter (AFL season), will struggle to get a big turnout.

I also doubt that substantial Sydney FC support will come down for it as a mid week match at this time of year.

The added interest of our new look club is going to drive more spotlight on it, but overall, you will not see Villa or Lampard in this game, which will take away some of that interest to many.

I'd rather see a fuller Lakeside than a mostly empty AAMI Park for this game.

I think you may well be overestimating the amount of people who will go to this match. Hope I am wrong, but just can't see it needing anything too big.

I know we would love to see big numbers come, but history shows that mid week matches, and especially ones played in mid winter (AFL season), will struggle to get a big turnout.

I also doubt that substantial Sydney FC support will come down for it as a mid week match at this time of year.

The added interest of our new look club is going to drive more spotlight on it, but overall, you will not see Villa or Lampard in this game, which will take away some of that interest to many.

I fuller Lakeside Stadium will look emptier than 7k at AAMI Park.

I would prefer the game to be played at a ground that all my mates could get to with ease on a Tuesday night...

But if it is at Lakeside I look forward to all the original comments that I have never heard before from posters on here about how great it is to be able to eat Souvlaki at a Soccer Match. :rolleyes:

Edited by cadete

Have it in Ballarat

Love that idea. Hey, it would certainly get a fair bit of coverage up there.

Chance of a frozen pitch though. Would be good EPL vibes.

haha.. Very much so.

Hey it would just be a way of "welcoming" our new star players to make them feel less home sick :)

Getting to Lakeside isn't really that difficult is it? There's a few trams, and plenty of parking around.

I was thinking the same thing really.

Trams nearby, parking around the area and not that far from the city anyway.

1. Actually the parking is fucked for events of over 3000 so god knows what it be for one of around 5000 - 7000.

Then there is fact that the area can get a bit of traffic from time to time. 

2. Plus the 96 tram can often take half an hour to get from the Imp to the Stadium and anyone taking this tram will need to connect with at least one other form of PT.

Compare this to a five minute train from the Imp to AAMI - Or the ease of getting your connecting train when coming back from AAMI its a no brainer

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

No Epping pls.

Do you know how long it takes to get out of that ground.

I was at preseason game vs Adelaide last year. There wasn't more then 1k (I could be wrong )

It took 40min+ from jumping into the car and finally getting out on the main road.

If we get 5k I may as well take a tent