Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

I don't understand how some people are against winning the cup?

It would be amazing to win the first ever ffa cup, I want the club to win as much silverware it can.

And melburnian said it "winning silverware is what it's all about"

I don't think anybody here is against winning the cup but lets be honest that the a-league season is way more important than the FFA cup. 

Sure, go and and give it a real good crack but is it work possibly losing a koren or a duff for a competition that doesn't really mean anything?

Remember that winning the a-league can get us into the AFC, and the last thing we want to do is to start behind the 8 ball again like we did last season ( even though it lead to JA's sacking.

It's a lot more important than that, for a club that has been as starved of success as ours.

If I had to guess/suggest/predict, I imagine most teams would approach it like the old pre-season cup in the AFL. The big, successful clubs would generally coast through the early rounds and, if they were still standing after the preliminary weeks, they'd progressively get more serious about it, while the clubs that hadn't had much success might go a bit harder (and that might also be a by-product of the weaker teams being a few weeks advanced on their preseason, due to finishing earlier the previous season).

At the end of the day, I feel like we've got at least as much incentive to win this thing as any of the other A-League teams and we probably have more incentive than most. And I think the intensity with which we approach the games should reflect that.

Sydney FC supporters have a mini-campaign to see that a stream of the Melbourne City vs Sydney FC game is created, and Sydney FC seem to be working on it, as their CEO Tony Pignata said today: "We are working on it. Something we all want to do. Hopefully everything falls in line n we do it". https://twitter.com/tpignata9/status/497930633000148992

A bit annoying that Melbourne city ostensibly hasn't been trying to create a stream for this game. I get the sense that the club are a little weary of showcasing this match to Australian football watchers and potential Melbourne City members..

I didn't say that. 

But with the club hosting this match in Ballarat instead of Melbourne, and there being no sale of tickets until matchday at the gate (apart from Melburnians great work), there are enough reasons to think the club might be downplaying this match, perhaps thinking that the team will be underdone, or thinking that the team with David Villa is the first impression that they want Australian football watchers to get.

So it doesn't look like the club is working hard to have this match accessible to many, and to use this match to promote the club, hence there being no evidence that the club has worked to get a stream, or even audio coverage, up and running for this match.

Hopefully Sydney FC get a stream running for this match, as there should be streams for FFA Cup matches like this.

Interesting that the new home page for the club web-site no longer seems to mention or link anything other than A-League and Y-League fixtures and results.

As far as I can work it out I have to go to the FFA's home page to see that that the match is on.

Would we even be allowed to stream the game even if we wanted to ?? With all the red tape from FFA and foxsports contracts I doubt we could. MFootball couldn't even make a highlights package of youth games. The teams not playing a-league opposition probably have a bit more leeway and different conditions in their contracts. We can't even have an independent website let alone stream a game when foxsports own the rights to the FFA Cup & A-league. 

• Like 1

Would we even be allowed to stream the game even if we wanted to ?? With all the red tape from FFA and foxsports contracts I doubt we could. MFootball couldn't even make a highlights package of youth games. The teams not playing a-league opposition probably have a bit more leeway and different conditions in their contracts. We can't even have an independent website let alone stream a game when foxsports own the rights to the FFA Cup & A-league. 

https://cmsbeta1.performgroup.com/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/FFA%20Cup%20Terms%20of%20Admission%20-%202014_ig3q9ap13ujx1lixlvpn9sy36.pdf

See Item 14 of the above.

It does say broadcasts are ok, if they are authorised/okayed by Fox Sports. And South Hobart FC managed to stream a Round of 32 FFA Cup game, so streams can conceivably be okayed by Fox Sports for other FFA Cup games.

Also, the Sydney FC CEO had a follow-up tweet, where he spoke to the difficulty of creating a stream, and he said: "it is more than that. Depends on the capability in Ballarat." (https://twitter.com/tpignata9/status/497952227743375361). That suggests that it's more a technical problem, that is a problem of capability, rather than an issue of authorisation. 

Anyway I've made all my bookings, so I'll certainly be at this game. Hopefully though other people who can't get to the game can follow it with some decent coverage. 

Edited by Murfy1

I have no idea who is going to win tbh. But, Sydney have to travel to Ballarat and probably wont have Ibini and Abbas and it seems like Arnold has been trying to implement a new style with varying success... So thats in our favor.

But I think this will be the lineup

Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo Ramsay

Kalmar

Mooy Murdocca

Duga NoFuckingClue (t) Duff

I dont think Koren will get a run and if he does it might be 15 mins at the end.

Edited by Dylan

Dylan, do  you think we'll need a keeper?

Who is your favourite of our 2 outstanding candidates (Velaphi for me).

I was reminded the other day that we had Brown.  He would be a big chance to start up front if Willo is not available/stuffed from chasing Juve defenders around.

Dylan, do you think we'll need a keeper?

Who is your favourite of our 2 outstanding candidates (Velaphi for me).

I was reminded the other day that we had Brown. He would be a big chance to start up front if Willo is not available/stuffed from chasing Juve defenders around.

Ha didn't even notice that. Obviously think highly of the two we have... I think redders will play only because he is the supposed number 1.

Arnold has been trying to implement a new style with varying success...

JVS has had 2.5 seasons of varying success. Arnold is proven as one of the top coaches in the A-League. 

This will be very interesting to see.

To be fair to JVS I would say from the beggining the club has been handicapped with the previous owners.

Also Arnold is taking over a basket case of a club, it will take time for all the egos to be cleaned out of there.

JVS has had 2.5 seasons of varying success. Arnold is proven as one of the top coaches in the A-League.  This will be very interesting to see.To be fair to JVS I would say from the beggining the club has been handicapped with the previous owners.Also Arnold is taking over a basket case of a club, it will take time for all the egos to be cleaned out of there. That is simply not true about JVS as he was given a sizeable budget for Season One to the point that most pundits and the bookmakers had Heart to do well before they had even kicked a ball.

I hope I am proven wrong but I still wish the club had waited for Arnold.

• Like 1

"JVS was given a sizeable budget for Season One."

This simply does not hold up to facts.

In a lowly salary capped competition like the A League NO CLUB HAS A SIZEABLE BUDGET for players' payments when more than 90% of the squad for every club must fit into the same lowly salary cap budget. 

In a lowly salary capped competition like the A League NO CLUB HAS A SIZEABLE BUDGET for players' payments when more than 90% of the squad for every club must fit into the same lowly salary cap budget. 

Right, so he was on the same playing field as every other coach then...

What's the excuse for him in that case?

What's the excuse for him in that case? Maybe because his Dutch and good looking and many Heart fans like to think they are football purists...

Had a squad of players who have never played with each other vs. teams that had been established for almost a decade. Thought that would have been a no-brainer. Inb4WSW.

JVS has had 2.5 seasons of varying success. Arnold is proven as one of the top coaches in the A-League.  This will be very interesting to see.

To be fair to JVS I would say from the beggining the club has been handicapped with the previous owners.Also Arnold is taking over a basket case of a club, it will take time for all the egos to be cleaned out of there.

That is simply not true about JVS as he was given a sizeable budget for Season One to the point that most pundits and the bookmakers had Heart to do well before they had even kicked a ball.

I hope I am proven wrong but I still wish the club had waited for Arnold.

Ahh I see, wassnt aware with how it all started I just assumed since the owners were tight, they always had been.

In terms of what Malimate said, I think that the WSW case is, although no doubt that Popovic is a great coach, its a situation that everything that could go right, did go right. So there is no one reason you can point to and emulate to get the same run as WSW have had.

Although everyone doesnt like the players from last year because of the results and ladder position. There was the unbeaten run we did have, where it looked like we could beat anyone and I think most A league squads are very even because of the salary cap. So its just a small percentage of things that need to go right to get results. I also think Aloisi had a devastating effect on the club and the squad and think this cant be understated as there were some stories of the players wanting out, such as from Williams. We all saw the effect Engelaar had on the team and now we have arguably a more mobile version (although there are no videos we can see showing his skill of passing and creating chances), with a preseason behind him. Then there is Mooy, I still think WSW are going to miss Mooy badly and I think he is going to win our player of the season this year.

Also, this issnt probably much help to anyone but I can offer 4 lifts to the pub/game etc but I wont be coming back to Melbourne that night, hopefully leaving between 2-2:30. Im in the north so picking people up from North Melbourne station would be ideal. Send me a pm if you're interested.

In a lowly salary capped competition like the A League NO CLUB HAS A SIZEABLE BUDGET for players' payments when more than 90% of the squad for every club must fit into the same lowly salary cap budget.

Had a squad of players who have never played with each other vs. teams that had been established for almost a decade. Thought that would have been a no-brainer. Inb4WSW.Also inb4 Gold Coast as well...

And let's not forget that he was by far the best paid coach in the league.

Edited by cadete

Had a squad of players who have never played with each other vs. teams that had been established for almost a decade. Thought that would have been a no-brainer. Inb4WSW.

Regardless, he also then had a decent enough amount of time to change things around imo.

I agree that the owners ended up being cunts, which didn't make his job easy, but I still don't think he's the great manager everyone believes he is.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many of you have had the privilege of watching football with the temperature close to freezing point but that's what we'll be lucky enough to get tomorrow night.

I'm sure you're smart enough to wear warm clothes, but as a Ballarat local I highly recommend wearing some gloves. It's forecast to be 3°C during the match and your fingers may fall off without them.

Stay warm and someone smuggle me in a flask :up:

I'm not sure how many of you have had the privilege of watching football with the temperature close to freezing point but that's what we'll be lucky enough to get tomorrow night.

I'm sure you're smart enough to wear warm clothes, but as a Ballarat local I highly recommend wearing some gloves. It's forecast to be 3°C during the match and your fingers may fall off without them.

Stay warm and someone smuggle me in a flask :up:

It'll be positively tropical compared to the  -10 degrees at Allianz Stadium when I went to see Bayern Munich! Dress well!