Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

Don't know if its been said but it looks like players in the All Stars squad wont be able to play the game.  It means Williams wont play for us, but Sydney will lose Abbas, Ibini & Sasa. 

Probably better off voting opposition players next year to make the All Stars team.

Why does a meaningless exhibition match take priority over a competitive cup fixture? 

Seriously

Don't know if its been said but it looks like players in the All Stars squad wont be able to play the game.  It means Williams wont play for us, but Sydney will lose Abbas, Ibini & Sasa. 

Probably better off voting opposition players next year to make the All Stars team.

Why does a meaningless exhibition match take priority over a competitive cup fixture? 

Seriously

Because this FFA Cup competition is not designed to actually be for A-League clubs. It's just another FFA obsession, this time being to "bring football to the country." Why do you think it is the sponsored by Westfield? Because no-one else would go near it once they saw the way it is structured.

• Like 1

The Allstars is as much a "game" as those EJ Whitten legend things the AFL have.

This year's game is being put on for everyone who would like to watch a Juventus training session (which I'm sure is plenty, but not me).  It is beyond a joke that players would tied up to a kick and giggle game instead of a competitive match in a long awaited national cup.

Fuck that the all-stars can keep Williams, I don't want my first game of the fa cup forever ruined due to the fact Williams can't shoot for shit.

should we bring in the essendon team instead?

Would kick straighter then Williams at least :up:

People on here are saying we should take this competition seriously  but we won't be winning shit if Williams plays anymore then 20 minutes a game.

Fuck that the all-stars can keep Williams, I don't want my first game of the fa cup forever ruined due to the fact Williams can't shoot for shit.

People on here are saying we should take this competition seriously  but we won't be winning shit if Williams plays anymore then 20 minutes a game.

You have a seriously unhealthy obsession with hating David Williams, like I'm actually genuinely worried he once hurt you

People on here are saying we should take this competition seriously but we won't be winning shit if Williams plays anymore then 20 minutes a game.

You have a seriously unhealthy obsession with hating David Williams, like I'm actually genuinely worried he once hurt you

Unhealthy? Yes. Irrational? No.

• Like 2

Seriously

Because this FFA Cup competition is not designed to actually be for A-League clubs. It's just another FFA obsession, this time being to "bring football to the country." Why do you think it is the sponsored by Westfield? Because no-one else would go near it once they saw the way it is structured.

It has so much potential and already the FFA are somehow managing to completely screw it up. 

> Tournament structure has pots and fixed matches 

> Games are played at non A-League club home grounds no matter what

> Only a small handful of games are being televised

> All games are played midweek, including the final (one of the biggest fuck-ups imo)

> All A-League club games likely won't even be played at A-League home venues

> All-Stars match takes precedence over this tournament

I seriously don't get it, if you're going to do it then do it properly.

It's much easier to put a lid on riots caused by nsl supporters if they're played in the country rather than at major stadiums :up:

• Like 1

The idea of the FFA Cup is to spread the game, linking the top tier to the grassroots.

As much as it would be great to see these matches played at bigger venues, one just needs to watch the Foxtel Cup in Aussie Rules to understand how midweek football can translate into rather empty stadiums. It's depressing to see, but the echoes are fun :lol:

Lets see how this comp goes and then look to build on it.

Edited by Heart_fan

The dipshits who constantly keep talking him up and having him in their mock starting 11's for this season piss me off more then the actual player himself.

How much more does this bloke have to fuck-up before people will be critical of him? Drive a truck full of bombs into a children's hospital? 

The bloke just escapes so much criticism on here because he can run really fast and has 'potential' pisses me off to no end. Anyway enough with the Williams hating...for now.

The dipshits who constantly keep talking him up and having him in their mock starting 11's for this season piss me off more then the actual player himself.

How much more does this bloke have to fuck-up before people will be critical of him? Drive a truck full of bombs into a children's hospital? 

The bloke just escapes so much criticism on here because he can run really fast and has 'potential' pisses me off to no end. Anyway enough with the Williams hating...for now.

Clearly you can't see the footballing genius in him

I don't think he escapes criticism at all, he's super inconsistent and his finishing is often pretty poor. 

But the reality is the bloke scored 12 goals in a piss-poor season for a club that finished bottom and he single-handedly won us a few games. So whilst it's perfectly fair to give him some flak, I just reckon it's taken to extreme proportions when at least half of our squad is probably worse than him.

• Like 1

You really haven't grasped the reality of the a-league have you ? he is a solid enough performer at this level and if he was any better he'd be in Europe all ready 

• Like 1

You really haven't grasped the reality of the a-league have you ? he is a solid enough performer at this level and if he was any better he'd be in Europe all ready 

You really haven't grasped the reality of a football forum have you? He has messed up a few times so he is going to have the piss taken out of him and if someone posted using pleasantries and logic they'd be on a legitimate football website already. 

FFS - Tickets available from the venue.

The lines to get in were bad enough at the Scratch Match that nobody cared about.

Anyone know the capacity of the stadium, i'm happy to head to Ballarat for the match but if I get there and get turned back because the place is full to capacity i'll be fuming so I would like to know what i'm looking at in terms of capacity.

IMO the issue is rather more than one match to be possibly played at Ballarat. It brings into question at least the following:

1. What actually is FFA trying to do with the FFA Cup? Is its purpose a genuine cup competition, or an exercise in bringing football to country towns?

You called it.

The lines to get in were bad enough at the Scratch Match that nobody cared about.

Anyone know the capacity of the stadium, i'm happy to head to Ballarat for the match but if I get there and get turned back because the place is full to capacity i'll be fuming so I would like to know what i'm looking at in terms of capacity.

Google search reckons up to 6k, considering its a Tuesday in August I doubt it'll sell out.

Google search reckons up to 6k, considering its a Tuesday in August I doubt it'll sell out.

i'll just make the trip early and have the next day off 

JVS's comments are pretty telling, it sounds to me like he considers this to just be another pre-season match as opposed to a competitive cup fixture.

“At this point in the pre-season it is important for us to play matches in good conditions and the pitch at Ballarat will be perfect for us.

The first FFA Cup match is important and will be a great moment for us to see where we are at in our pre-season after the camp in Manchester.”

I can't believe how just how much my hype for this has been destroyed.

• Like 2