Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

What will happen ticketing wise? Will being a member cover this game or are we going to have to buy separate tickets?

Doubt that membership will cover it.

There's no guarantee that it will be at AAMI anyway. I read some guff the other day that venues and times will be decided when FFA knows the draw and works out what venues may be available. So the "home" clubs will not necessarily be playing at their usual "home" grounds.

We'll host Sydney FC in a huge FFA Cup Round of 32 clash!

The specific match details in regards to dates, venues and kick-off times will be announced on Monday 30 June 2014 after consideration of each participating club’s league fixtures as well as venue availability and suitability.

What will happen ticketing wise? Will being a member cover this game or are we going to have to buy separate tickets?

Doubt that membership will cover it.

There's no guarantee that it will be at AAMI anyway. I read some guff the other day that venues and times will be decided when FFA knows the draw and works out what venues may be available. So the "home" clubs will not necessarily be playing at their usual "home" grounds.

The fixtures are prob on Tuesday nights because most stadia would be free on Tuesdays...

Cant wait for this to Kick Off..

Question. is this an elimination type knock out were by if we lose are we out? also is David Villa eligible to play, and does it count towards the 10 game guest stint? and finally does membership cover it..

If anyone knows the answer that would be great..

also, been listening to 1116 SEN all day at work and not one mention about this competition... they (being AFL) are shacking in there boots...

Cant wait for the Real Football to begin...

Cant wait for this to Kick Off..

Question. is this an elimination type knock out were by if we lose are we out? also is David Villa eligible to play, and does it count towards the 10 game guest stint? and finally does membership cover it..

If anyone knows the answer that would be great..

also, been listening to 1116 SEN all day at work and not one mention about this competition... they (being AFL) are shacking in there boots...

Cant wait for the Real Football to begin...

Yep, completely knock-out now. Lose and you're out.

David Villa would be unlikely to play I would have thought but who knows.

No word on membership but I'm sure we'd get a discount at the very least.

• Like 1

Surely it will be at aami you wouldn't be able to accommodate the support at Epping

yeah you would think. Playing sydney and our first meaningful game. Lakeside at least.

I'd prefer this to be played at Lakeside, but I think that you may well be AAMi Park bound.

A Tuesday night match during the middle of winter and the AFL season will not likely get a big crowd, even if its City's first official competitive match. Lakeside is perfectly sized to play this match at, and will be a good opportunity to remind SMFC that they missed out on qualifying for it (Thanks to the Knights) :lol:

We don't need more scenes of unoccupied green seats everywhere associated with Melb City.

Surely it will be at aami you wouldn't be able to accommodate the support at Epping

yeah you would think. Playing sydney and our first meaningful game. Lakeside at least.

I'd prefer this to be played at Lakeside, but I think that you may well be AAMi Park bound.

A Tuesday night match during the middle of winter and the AFL season will not likely get a big crowd, even if its City's first official competitive match. Lakeside is perfectly sized to play this match at, and will be a good opportunity to remind SMFC that they missed out on qualifying for it (Thanks to the Knights) :lol:

We don't need more scenes of unoccupied green seats everywhere associated with Melb City.

Agree with everything you have said, however first real competitive match for Melbourne city, Sydney crowed will flock down and first ffa cup game for both teams do believe 10000+ will show up

Out of all teams that we could have potentially versed, Sydney would have been the last team id wanted us to verse. all the players given a run in that Sydney side would be fighting to impress Arnold (likewise with us) although the type of football Arnolds teams have played like in the past does not suit the way we play at all. bit wary of them, nervous too, but fuck am i stoked to finally get some Heart/City action at last!

Edited by Victards

Out of all teams that we could have potentially versed, Sydney would have been the last team id wanted us to verse. all the players given a run in that Sydney side would be fighting to impress Arnold (likewise with us) although the type of football Arnolds teams have played like in the past does not suit the way we play at all. bit wary of them, nervous too, but fuck am i stoked to finally get some Heart/City action at last!

Pretty much how I feel too. They'll be a fierce opponent, I'm glad we've got it at home. Ibini, Smeltz and Brosque could cause us some headaches so we really need to focus on getting out back four set for that. I wonder how Kisnorbo is tracking with his recovery from surgery...

Not only would winning our first match and going on to win the FFA Cup be an excellent way for the club to start off, but losing our first match, at home, to a Sydney team coached by Graham Arnold team would be a somewhat embarrassing and unimpressive start for a club that has said it wants to be "one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region".

And for Heart supporters, there would be obnoxious deju vu about it (Melbourne Heart having lost its first competitive match to Graham Arnold's CCM at AAMI Park at the start of our first season in 2010).  

I think there are multiple good reasons for us to be optimistic, such as: our team having such a good history against Sydney FC, especially in Melbourne (we've played them in Melbourne 7 times, and have only lost once [under Aloisi, pretty much at the lowest point of our horror period]), the team having one of the earliest, if not he earliest, pre-season, and the fact that the team will spend a few weeks doing pre-season in the UK playing good opposition, and that our team will include a number of new useful players, at least including Mooy, Chapman and Duff (and there's still time for a few more good players to join the team).

Also I think Sydney have a few weaknesses, in particular their defence, and I reckon Sydney may take a while to get going under Arnold, especially if they are going to try to play attacking football (which Sydney FC will probably expect, and it's unproven whether Arnold can actually produce that kind of football).          

So if we can maybe get another good signing or 2 into the team and overcome our history of underperforming against A-League opposition in pre-season (and some recent reports emerging saying that our club is being much more professionally run than its ever been is a very good start), I reckon we can beat Sydney in our first match.

We'll learn tomorrow as well how seriously the club is taking this match when they announce the venue, date and time. If they make the match on as late a date as they can (August 12 I believe is the latest), on at a late time (like between 7:30 and 8:30) and play the match at AAMI, then I reckon the club will admirably be taking the match seriously. Whereas if the club try and host the match at a low-key early time on a Tuesday (as all the matches are on Tuesday), and especially if they don't play the match at AAMI, then we'll know they aren't taking the match that seriously.

I reckon it would be very foolish to not take this match seriously. So hopefully pre-season can keep ticking along, and a few new quality signings can join the team and strengthen it before this match (a good new striker superior to Williams would really be nice), and the club can get off to a good winning start come August.     

• Like 1

I'm glad we drew Sydney FC to be honest, especially at home. 

The fact it's being billed as the "glamour" match of the opening stage will hopefully give us the added incentive to perform and we have a pretty strong record against them. Will be a great test.