Melbourne Football

Active Support Meeting | Monday 23rd June | OFFICIAL MEETING MINUTES

Fingman

Please let's not go off the rails with political correctness.

Even Baby Jesus wouldn't approve this much stiffness

But you can't just hurt people emotionally mate. We have to cater to all different types of people. The last thing we want to do is for someone to go to bed upset because they were offended :(

But you can't just hurt people emotionally mate. We have to cater to all different types of people. The last thing we want to do is for someone to go to bed upset because they were offended :(

Unless those pricks are warming up behind our goal in front of active, don't you agree??

• Like 1

Well, that was the first active support meeting I'd attended, and I was thoroughly impressed. Some really great, passionate debate.

Great job on the minutes, Fingman. Reckon you've covered everything superbly.

My fiance and I were debating whether to become active supporters or not - we've been sitting behind or next to Yarraside for about 1.5 seasons, but last night sealed the deal for us. We'll be there next season.

Didn't get to speak to you last night . Glad that you will be joining the active area. Sure we will get to speak next timr

• Like 1

Exactly you need to be careful because someone, some where may get offended by something you have said

Unless those pricks are warming up behind our goal in front of active, don't you agree??

Those 'pricks' have feeling too though. Rather than call them prick why not just support them, even if their the other team? Winning shouldn't get in the way of everyone having a good time :)

It's offensive to women because women can play just as well as men when it comes to soccer.

No they can't. I'm all for equal opportunity, but lets call a spade a spade and not make out that men and women are physically the same.

Let's call a spade and spade and not make out that men and women are the same in general.

• Like 1

- Also removing distasteful chants, it cannot be helped if they naturally start, but the terrace should not encourage chants such as “Archie Thompson beats up his wife”.

Out.Archie Thompson beats up his wife will continue.

- Also removing distasteful chants, it cannot be helped if they naturally start, but the terrace should not encourage chants such as “Archie Thompson beats up his wife”.

Out.Archie Thompson beats up his wife will continue. This is disgusting. You don't want to offend people by having words like 'red', 'white', 'blue', 'City' or 'heart' in the name but you'll trivialise violence against women? It's not funny, or clever and if you've ever engaged with someone who's had to deal with that crap you'd not suggest it.

It is shaming Archie and not letting him bury his past indiscretions for which he received no punishment.

I don't mind what you say about Archie but if you're bringing his wife into it, that's another matter. Of her I'm sure it's bringing up bad memories.

And no you can't stop people singing/chanting whatever but you can lead on the acceptable behaviours in the terrace. The silence of the core on this would speak volumes.

Well, that was the first active support meeting I'd attended, and I was thoroughly impressed. Some really great, passionate debate.

My fiance and I were debating whether to become active supporters or not - we've been sitting behind or next to Yarraside for about 1.5 seasons, but last night sealed the deal for us. We'll be there next season.

Was great to see you both there last night mate, cheers for coming down!

Looking forward to seeing you both in the Terrace next season

tumblr_ltbtgjU70B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers mate! It was nice to meet you guys, looking forward to many hangs in the season ahead. Maybe your mrs can help convince mine to come along more often haha.

• Like 1

Common sense would suggest you can call the players on the pitch 'boys', so come on you boys in red/white would be more than appropriate.

Do agree that swearing should be kept to a minimum or avoided outright. It's just not necessary, if you really feel the need to swear then you clearly need to extend your vocabulary. Using swearing as a way to attract people to the terrace makes no sense, it repels most and leads to a situation where it's mostly try hard 16 year olds...as the old Yarraside had a reputation for.

• Like 1

So many classical chants from my youth.. not PC today of course

"You´re gonna get your xxxxxxx head kicked in.."
"You´re going home in a xxxxxxx ambulance.."

"With an A and a G and an R and an O off to (whatever place) we GO!!"
"He´s fat, he´s round, he bounces off the ground.."

• Like 1

Can we petition the club to have Ticker publicly hanged in front of the terrace at the first home game?

Add that annoying red headed announcer in the hanging. Isn't he bald?

Receding most likely, but definitely annoying .

I think he calls himself Cactus, so as just punishment we should toss him into a cell with the floor covered in cacti  :up:

• Like 1

Out. Archie Thompson beats up his wife will continue.

Out. Archie Thompson beats up his wife will continue. This is disgusting. You don't want to offend people by having words like 'red', 'white', 'blue', 'City' or 'heart' in the name but you'll trivialise violence against women? It's not funny, or clever and if you've ever engaged with someone who's had to deal with that crap you'd not suggest it.

It is shaming Archie and not letting him bury his past indiscretions for which he received no punishment.

I don't mind what you say about Archie but if you're bringing his wife into it, that's another matter. Of her I'm sure it's bringing up bad memories.

And no you can't stop people singing/chanting whatever but you can lead on the acceptable behaviours in the terrace. The silence of the core on this would speak volumes.

If Emily Thompson wants to hang about, watching re-runs of the oceanic world cup qualifiers and taking beatings from Archie on the regular, thats her business. 

Our business will be to remind that rabid, oxygen thieving, mong dogcunt, Thompson that he is in fact a cunt. 

:lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Next wel be running everyone through political correctness classes and sewing friendship quilts with other clubs. ..for f**k sake this is football, stop with all this c**p!

f****ing agreed, all this censorship c**p can f**k right f***king off

• Like 4

Ok I don't know why I bother sometimes but anyway:

• No one discussed banning swearing, in fact it was specifically said that there shouldn't be 'rules' one way or the other on this.  What was discussed was discouraging 'distasteful' chants like rape jokes or violence.  "Would smash the physio" comes to mind.  Cunt is a beautiful part of the female anatomy and is a-okay by me  :up:attachicon.gifphoto.JPG
  • For me personally the Archie chant is fine because it appropriately calls him out on the disgusting behaviour that got swept under the rug.  What gets frustrating is when this is the ONLY chant that is sung with any real passion, because then it seems like we're obsessed with some dickhead opposition player who isn't even any good any more.
  • There is a big difference between singing "come on you boys in red", referring to the PLAYERS who are obviously all male, and singing "We are the boys from Yarraside" which is describing the make-up of the terrace and the people singing.  
  • Obvious troll is obvious but there were far more than two girls in Yarraside and none of the ones I spoke to had been 'dragged there' by their boyfriends (although many of us did meet our boyfriends at the football.  Common interests and all that).  So it would be nice to acknowledge their presence and increase the potential for more to feel like the terrace is not just a place for the 'lads'.  Growing the active support base is the ostensible goal, is it not?  Expanding beyond the 16-30 year-old male demographic would be an easy way to start.

Anyway.  It was a great meeting.  Really positive.  Big kudos to King Malta, Jimmy, Tony and the others for getting this up and running.  I have every confidence you guys are going to succeed and make this new terrace truly great.  If it were possible to love a terrace without needing to love its club, I would be 100% on board already.  As it is, still not quite reconciled with the 'City difference'.  Rolled over my active membership anyway, but every time I think about singing for a team called City that plays in blue I still feel a little sick.  I'm just hoping I feel better about it all by the time the season rolls around.

Really well put that was the sentiment coming out of the meeting on Monday. It will be good to see you at a few more.

I understand the point about the use of the word "boys" - what is the logical and (for use of a better word) harmonic replacement though?

We are the "peeps" from Yarraside (for example) sounds weird.

Homosapians is acceptable :up:

Wouldn't that be offensive to the neanderthals?