Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Ballarat Red Devils - Wednesday 25th June @ 7pm

Nate

Took some (probably dodgy) video of the second half. Was drinking the first half. I'll try and get it up tonight. Was good to see the boys singing towards the end of the second half. Sitting in the car now while the misses drives me home after I drank all the beers.

Good game really. Nice to see city play their first 'official' game.

We can thank LR9 for this one, he had the idea back when Mooy first signed and I remembered it tonight. Good times. Tonight was good fun.

Legitimately believe that Ballarat #2 will trial for us though!

he was a gun, couldnt get past him. zlatan no.12 had potential, adequate replacement for kalmah

Could anyone give a brief rundown of the players who did well and badly? Not bothered about details, just wondering who is in form.

Also, what are the chances any of the trialists will be taken on?

Mooy, Mauk, Melling and Dugandzic all looked okay. Hard to say as Ballarat were clearly a class below.

Didn't think any of the trialists stood out. Number 11 on the wing looked alright.

hoffmans stella pre season form continues and josip babalj looked the goods.

Josip was good, true terrance legend

Yugoslavia united again in one MCFC Trialist.

There's a distinctly strong Serbo-Croat element to the dressing room in Manchester too, for that matter, so maybe our clubs have more in common than we thought ;)

Couldn't attend the game. Thankfully though there's been good coverage of the game.

Here's some videos of the game: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1hR4Msn3jyKyD0gGE18KVQ/videos

Real pleased to see Germano play as RB. I saw him play as RB when he made his return in the NYL team last season, and I thought he was excellent. I also think Germano is good at being an option when the team has the ball; he makes a good attacking fullback. If he keeps on impressing when he has opportunities at RB, I hope he gets played there commonly next season, because we can't afford, and shouldn't have to put up with makeshift, semi-decent fullbacks next season.

Pleased to see Dugandzic getting on the scoresheet. If he can provide at least several goals next season he could be one of our top players IMO. I'm pretty hopeful that now that he's fit he'll be a top grade A-League player next season for us .

Can't wait to see Mooy playing in our team with my own eyes. Sounds like he had a fine game, and produced that midfield class that he's displayed in the A-League at WSW. I can really see a young and technical player like him thriving in our team, given the connection to Man City, our football, the players around him and JVS.

Interesting to see the number of trialists in the game. I didn't know much about some of them, so I had a quick look at their backgrounds and this is what I came up with:

+ No 4 - Thomas (Tom) Lakic - Central Defender - Oakleigh Cannons - Winner of the 2012 Weinstein Medal, best junior male (under 16's) player in Victoria as judged by the FFV

+ No 2 - Nick Symeoy - Central Defender - Moreland Zebras - winner of the 2013 Mirabella Medal, senior best & fairest for the Moreland Zebras

+ No 11 - Anthony Rizk - Left Midfielder/Left Winger - Northcote City (Under 21s/Reserves)

+ No 5 - Ross Archibald - Central Defender - Melbourne Heart NYL Team

+ No 9 - Ersin Kaya - Midfielder/Winger - Melbourne Heart NYL Team

+ No 10 - Billy Konstantinidis - Striker - Panserraikos (3rd division in Greece), last season 14 goals across 27 games, 8 assists

Also this guy was identified in one of 'The Courier' photos"

+ No ?? - Matthew Millar - was a Fullback, is now a Midfielder - Dandenong Thunder - Winner of the first NPL Rising Star Award

Interesting that there was no 'T' next to Paulo Retre's name. He's been wearing a squad number at training, no 18, so I think he might be signed to the senior team for next season. I think Retre is too old to play in the NYL team next season, so it's a move that might make sense. Whereas Ross Archibald is only 19, and can remain in the NYL team for another season or 2, so as long as he's happy to remain on a NYL contract I think the situation is good. And given that Archibald seems to always train with the senior team now, and will almost certainly be considered a CB option for the senior team next season (if only as backup), then I think it's a situation that pretty much suits everyone.

It would to be nice to hear a little more on how the trialists went (that is, if there's anything to say about their short appearances). Also, were their any substitutions? That might explain the Courier photo allegedly of Matthew (or 'Matty') Millar in Melbourne City kit next to Nick Symeoy, if he got subbed on for a short run.

Hopefully the team plays another game or two (that aren't behind closed doors) before the teams Jets off to the UK in July, as I'm pretty keen to see this team myself.        

How's the support at 3.50

At 3:50..hmm, WE LOVE YOU followed by SO HAPPY TOGETHER, amazed that you managed to get people started in the rain :lol:

I've pretty much got the same amount of footage as I put up of just the active supporters singing in the second half. I didn't think anyone would care for it though but I could put it up if there is interest?

• Like 1

Interesting that they played in navy socks and white shorts, when apparently the game at epping was played with white shorts and socks

Will be very interesting to see how much navy blue is on their kit once the season begins...