Melbourne Football

New Active Support Group Discussion

Embee

Well, fuck it, here goes I guess.

Given tonight's announcement regarding the disbandment of Yarraside it seems evident that we need a Active supporter group moving forward, and I'm creating this thread to try and get as many people together who are interested in being part of that in some way.

I'm going to put it out there, aside from singing and jumping up and down like I have some sort of mental impairment I don't actually have any prior experience in this sort of thing except for enthusiasm and willingness to be involved.

I know this isn't a very inspiring call to arms, but I was hoping we could use this thread as a bit of roundtable of sorts, getting those who are keen on being involved in this moving forward to put their hands up and see if we can organize something...

Should probably seek out some outer core and core members who are interested in continuing. Their experience would he very valuable. I think the most critical thing is to not alienate existing supports and therefore creating a rift between new and old supporters alike. Our situation is different than starting from scratch and although what I am going to say is rather obvious, it would be a bad move to put offside all of the old participants of Yarraside. It should be as inclusive as possible as its probably the best way to honor the legacy of Yarraside. But I suppose a more 'visual' way  to honor the legacy may be to use some of its old flags?

In my case, I dont have an active membership but more than willing to help in the creation of flags and banners. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

The Ballarat based supporters are currently discussing if we could make any kind of tangible contribution from out west. There's a group of us that could potentially be involved.

Good to hear man, keep us in the loop!

Edited by King Malta

Just a heads up YS Core and senior members wish that any new active support group steer clear of using the name Yarraside or anything to refer to YS or anything that could be interpreted or taken to mean that it is YS mk II

Thanks for the clarification

Just a heads up YS Core and senior members wish that any new active support group steer clear of using the name Yarraside or anything to refer to YS or anything that could be interpreted or taken to mean that it is YS mk II

Chants aswell?

So should we brainstorm some Group names and see which one sticks?

- CitySide - Paying homage to Yarra'side', yet focusing on the future as Melbourne 'City'.

- Kings of Heart - Paying homage to our original club name. Perhaps a women's group can also be created and called "Queens of Heart"?

- Beached As - since we have a whale on our logo...

- River Crew

- Melburnians

- Bay 17

Edit: You can go all Fitzroy hipster and call it...

- "Melbourne City Active Supporters Group"! Lol

Edited by Red or Dead
  • Like 1

1. Organise a leadership team to run the ship. A group without leaders is rudderless.

2. Organise a meeting with anyone keen to attend.

3. Run a professional meeting to establish guidelines and process for the new group. What style, leadership etc.

4. Goodluck with whoever does this. Massive shoes to fill but you have us all behind you. Eben those of us not in active area anymore. I'd be asking some core members who want in for as much help as possible.

Just some ideas.

• Like 3

Need to work out a name and what side of the stadium we want

id rather not reside in the same bays as the nt.

Nor would I, keep it south end of the stadium I say

That's what I'm thinking, should remain at the same end we've occupied thus far.

We'd need to get a meeting underway pretty soon I reckon. Should we still be using the Imp for such things or has anyone got any other potential locations?

Chants aswell?

No reason the new group can't use the same chants, but there would probably need to be a bit of editing, given they would have references to Yarraside, Red & White, Heart, etc.

• Like 1