Melbourne Football

Fixture Season 2014/15

Deeming

I vaguely recall the last time we had Wellington away twice that the second game was in Dunedin. Anyone suspect/know if that would be the case again (venue for the game in Feb is 'TBD' at the moment)?

That would be awesome, got a few mates down in Dunners, it's a pretty mad town.

Would be pretty keen on Dunedin myself. Always wanted to go to that stadium.

• Like 1

Another home game the same day as the Grand Prix. Nice work, morons.

I think we should bombard City HQ with e-mails on this. It's simply stupid doing it two years in a row.

Has the general e-mail address been updated to info@melbournecityfc.com.au or not? Club site still shows the old Heart address.

Edited by jw1739

Terrible fixture for me as mentioned 7 home games on Sunday.

Really frustrates me that our first match is @ Sydney. When Del Piero first stepped out for Sydney they had a home match and were able to promote it as Del Piero vs Heskey. A massive boost financially.

So 2 seasons later they'll be able to do the same. Potentially there marquee vs villa, our aus marquee and int marquee. Possibly this match could be sold out and set there whole season up money wise.

I have to problem with our first match being away I just think the FFA needs to concentrate on equalisation a lot more. We've seen CCM even struggle to pay there own players in previous seasons. This would have been a perfect oppurtunity to provide a massive boost to that club with a headline Round 1 match, with some of the worlds best players.

I just fear if the FFA keep going down this path we'll see a divide in clubs like we do between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs.

• Like 1

Some people like them of course. But I have a lot of trouble motivating MrsJW to go to Sunday matches as she looks at Sunday as a time when we should be doing "other things." Also it's the day the Met chooses for public transport interruptions.

But surely on any basis, 7 is far too many.

Like I said, the club is going to have to work really hard to get memberships and attendances up.

SEN saying we play our first game at AMMI park against Sydney. Fuckin spastics

They did correct themselves.

First derby in round round is a win for the quality of the football. First game for City in Sydney smacks of rigging to get Sydney maximum potential. Is it right that city is only playing 4 games on Friday nights.

First derby in round round is a win for the quality of the football. First game for City in Sydney smacks of rigging to get Sydney maximum potential. Is it right that city is only playing 4 games on Friday nights.

maybe not, although we did finish last.

I vaguely recall the last time we had Wellington away twice that the second game was in Dunedin. Anyone suspect/know if that would be the case again (venue for the game in Feb is 'TBD' at the moment)?

bugger, was hoping it was Wellington, then drive up to Auckland to visit friends, sheesh a LONG drive from Dunedin

Love Sunday games - got a great excuse to not go to my in-laws for lunch EVERY FKN SUNDAY!! Lol

Also, the Sydney opening game is my birthday weekend so I might make the trip up for my birthday  :D

Sounds like there'll be a few of us making the trip...It'd be great to see the red & white stripes first up!

maybe not, although we did finish last.

Heart finished last, City is meant to be the new glamour team.

IMO it's 10 matches straight. If you miss a match it's just bad luck. Much better to be a loan player as the rules stand at the moment; however, then you come up against the numbers cap. Good reason not to sign more than 22 players!

IMO it's 10 matches straight. If you miss a match it's just bad luck. Much better to be a loan player as the rules stand at the moment; however, then you come up against the numbers cap. Good reason not to sign more than 22 players!

Have they qualified if that includes the FFA Cup?

It has changed to 10 games now, the matches do not have to be consecutive. My interpretation is that it would mean the player can represent the club in 10 official games, meaning friendlies wouldn't count. WIll be interesting to see what happens. I don't think they'd use him during the FFA Cup making the assumption that others will get the job done…I mean, we'll have our International Marquee, Australian Marquee and Damien Duff at our disposal. If we play in the final or semis, we may see him involved though to ensure silverware.

Pretty pleased with the fixture.

The way I see it, we play our first match in red and white, which is a big plus. I don't travel much, but somehow I'll get up to Sydney for the match.

Then rounds 2 to 4 we are playing in Melbourne. A good 3 consecutive weeks of football in Melbourne.

And the derby in round 3 is ideal. After round 1 against Sydney, and round 2 against Newcastle, the team should be ready to smash victory, and break our own record for the biggest derby win. Also, it plays into our favour that victory have to travel inter-state for their round 2 match, whilst we get to play Newcastle at AAMI in Melbourne, so we should be better prepared for the round 3 derby.

We get 6 matches in Melbourne out of our first 10 games, with 5 games at AAMI and 1 match at Etihad. So Villa looks set to play a majority of his games in Melbourne

And there's a reasonable break in January for the Asian Cup. So if Kennedy joins the team after the J-League season finishes in December, he'll have multiple weeks to settle into the team, and he'll get to play 13 matches when the A-Leagues resumes after the Asian Cup (with us getting an additional match because our round 9 match has been rescheduled to March 25th). 

So overall I think it's a pretty decent fixture.

I'm not 100% sure what the guest player rules are. The guest player rules were significantly revamped in April 2010. For example, originally they couldn't play in the finals, but now they can, if they play at least 4 games before the finals. As for whether the games must be consecutive or not, I don't know. There doesn't seem to be an original document clearly stating what's the case, and media reports aren't 100% clear, with reports in April 2010 stating "Clubs can now sign a guest player for up to 10 matches" and "Hyundai A-League clubs will also have the opportunity to sign a ‘Guest Player' who falls outside the 23-man Hyundai A-League roster allowance for up to a maximum of 10 matches which can now include the Hyundai A-League Finals Series.". So whilst that doesn't definitely clear things up, I think the evidence more suggests that the 10 games don't have to be consecutive, rather then the matching necessarily having to be consecutive. So there's a hope that Villa would be able to miss one match, and then play in our 11th match, which is the Christmas derby in late December.

Information will have to come out eventually if Villa is a guest player, so whatever' the case I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 2

That would be 7 sunday arvo home games out of 13. I call bullshit!

Some people like them of course. But I have a lot of trouble motivating MrsJW to go to Sunday matches as she looks at Sunday as a time when we should be doing "other things." Also it's the day the Met chooses for public transport interruptions.

But surely on any basis, 7 is far too many.

Like I said, the club is going to have to work really hard to get memberships and attendances up.

gives me the shits that there are so many Sunday, particularly with 6 of the 7 starting at 5pm (finish at 7pm).

long story short it makes it hard on those in the country.  living in Mildura means no suitable public transport or flights for the 550km each way trip.  

so thats a lovely 6 hour trip home, assuming no breaks.  just what you want on Sunday night - long drive home to arrive no earlier than 1 am before work the next day  :angry:  :up:

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

Actually I was wrong. There is an up to date official document that clearly states the guest player rules, including games which they can play:

2gslx6g.png

2i9m136.png

(Source: http://www.pfa.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Variation_of_A-League_CBA_2008_9_-_2012__13_-_Binding_Sheet__August_2011__01.pdf)

That's from the 2011/12 & 2012/13 CBA, which was extended by 2 seasons to cover the 2013/14 & 2014/15 seasons.

So we can officially play Villa in whichever 10 games we wish.

And given that another derby was arranged to be our 11th match, I think the plan might be to have Villa miss a match so he can play in the second Melbourne derby as his final match.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

Love Sunday games - got a great excuse to not go to my in-laws for lunch EVERY FKN SUNDAY!! Lol

Also, the Sydney opening game is my birthday weekend so I might make the trip up for my birthday  :D

Sounds like there'll be a few of us making the trip...It'd be great to see the red & white stripes first up!

Bwahahahahaha, lotta positives in this post :)
  • Like 1

Actually I was wrong. There is an up to date official document that clearly states the guest player rules, including games which they can play:

2gslx6g.png

2i9m136.png

(Source: http://www.pfa.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Variation_of_A-League_CBA_2008_9_-_2012__13_-_Binding_Sheet__August_2011__01.pdf)

That's from the 2011/12 & 2012/13 CBA, which was extended by 2 seasons to cover the 2013/14 & 2014/15 seasons.

And given that another derby was arranged to be our 11th match, I think the plan might be to have Villa miss a match so he can play in the second Melbourne derby as his final match.

That sounds positive. If will create a shitstorm for the team that misses out. I think the general soreness excuse needs to be applied.

2gslx6g.png

2i9m136.png

Still doesn't mention the FFA cup, say for example Villa plays in the Final, I assume that counts as a game. That document needs to be updated.

The biggest signing in a-league history doesn't even get to make his club debut at home.

Instead the biggest fucking spoiled brats in the league get to see him live for his first action on Aussie soil. Get fucked

Well of course he has to play in Sydney, is there anywhere else in Australia for FFA?