Melbourne Football

Melbourne City 2014 Pre Season

AlexDaGroza

Seems like Perth starts next week.

So far for us it's good signs. We have all the coaching staff settled with some highly regarded new coaches, started a week earlier it seems, the day 4 video seemed to be pretty high intensity. Murdocca flung in a few sliding tackles. Only player so far who seems to be injured is kisnorbo and they are spending the month of July at a state of the art training facility :up:

Sam Borghesi has been asked to trial at Heart, I know this to be factual. He's an 18/19 y.o. left back who plays at Bulleen.

Really? I went to school with him, great bloke and one of the hardest, most aggressive players I've seen.

Sam Borghesi has been asked to trial at Heart, I know this to be factual. He's an 18/19 y.o. left back who plays at Bulleen.

Really? I went to school with him, great bloke and one of the hardest, most aggressive players I've seen.

I've been told by someone who knows him and who is also linked to Marcellin College and Bulleen. I imagine it would be for a youth team role with the opportunity to move into the senior squad within the next 24 months.

I've been told by someone who knows him and who is also linked to Marcellin College and Bulleen. I imagine it would be for a youth team role with the opportunity to move into the senior squad within the next 24 months.

PM'd you

Did anyone else feel that interview made Mate sound lazy?

He looked way too stoked on 6 weeks off, it's going to take him "a couple of weeks to get back into it", and 8am "isn't a bad time... even though it's Saturday".

Haha, have some energy about you boy!

Edited by Fingman
  • Like 1

He looked way too stoked on 6 weeks off, it's going to take him "a couple of weeks to get back into it", and 8am "isn't a bad time... even though it's Saturday".

One thing that interests me is that nobody seems to want to mention anything about the visit to Manchester. I would have thought that that would have been a highlight of their "holiday."

• Like 1

One thing that interests me is that nobody seems to want to mention anything about the visit to Manchester. I would have thought that that would have been a highlight of their "holiday."

You two are a bit bitter arnt you? haha

• Like 1

No.  I didn't take it like that.

After working so hard to come back from that shocking injury, Mate's body would have needed a break- 13 months of hard training is no joke.  All i got was he was relieved to rest up a bit.  Very understandable.

As to the "getting back into it" After 6 weeks off his touch and timing would be a bit off- I thought that is what he was alluding to.

The day before Murdocca said everyone had scored well on skin folds, so its not like he was holidaying like us forumites do!

• Like 1

No. I didn't take it like that.

After working so hard to come back from that shocking injury, Mate's body would have needed a break- 13 months of hard training is no joke. All i got was he was relieved to rest up a bit. Very understandable.

As to the "getting back into it" After 6 weeks off his touch and timing would be a bit off- I thought that is what he was alluding to.

The day before Murdocca said everyone had scored well on skin folds, so its not like he was holidaying like us forumites do!

Yeah his 6 weeks off was definitely well deserved, just an observation that he may have seemed a little less keen than some others.

Did you see Williams holidaying in Dubai? Wouldn't mind a bit of time off like that to be honest haha.

Whittlesea Ranges in talks with A-League club Melbourne City over pre-season friendly

Tim Michell

June 11, 2014

WHITTLESEA Ranges could become the first team to play against the A-League’s newest club Melbourne City.

Ranges secretary Sergio Costanzo told the Leader representatives from City had been in talks with the National Premier League 1 club about a friendly match, which could take place in the next two weeks.

“I know they’ve called my coach and asked if we can play a friendly game, which I’m pretty open to,” Costanzo said.

“Whatever exposure our players can get is good and it’s good for the area as well.”

Costanzo said the match could be confirmed by Friday, but it appears certain to be closed to the public as City ramps up its A-League preparation.

He said the bulk of City’s squad would be available for the match, but Spanish superstar David Villa would be contesting the World Cup.

Villa has signed with City’s sister club New York City in Major League Soccer but will spend the start of the A-League season in Melbourne.

“I think they’d have three-quarters of their full squad,” Costanzo said.

“The only ones missing would be their most high-profile players.

“It’s a pity the World Cup is on, otherwise we might have had David Villa there as well.”

Costanzo said he expected the A-League club would eventually be based in central Melbourne, but added it would want to maintain its ties with the northern suburbs.

“I couldn’t see them basing themselves fully out of anywhere other than in town,” he said.

“That’s what I’m thinking, but I think it’s helped their supporter base by being based out in the northern suburbs.”

The friendly would be a major boost for Ranges, which sits 13th in NPL1 after 11 rounds.

City announced earlier this week it had signed Republic or Ireland international and former Premier League winger Damien Duff for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/whittlesea-ranges-in-talks-with-aleague-club-melbourne-city-over-preseason-friendly/story-fngnvocb-1226950559581

This journo of the above article on Twitter:

. #aleague club Melbourne City says it won't comment on fixture speculation as Whittlesea Ranges talks up pre-season friendly @nplvictoria

https://twitter.com/tim_michell/status/476561354803793921

Anything else been said on this at all Murf?

Anything else been said on this at all Murf?

Nope, no updates (that I know of, at least).

Hopefully the team play at least a few pre-season matches in Melbourne. And hopefully they play some that are closer than 20km away from the CBD of Mebourne (unlike Whittlesea, and unlike so many Heart pre-season matches of years past).

• Like 1

Ballarat.

Closer then Shepparton.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-to-face-Ballarat-Red-Devils/90872

John van’t Schip’s side will travel west to Ballarat for the clash, which will be held at the Red Devils’ home at Morshead Park. The facility is set to host the Bahrain national team during the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, which commences in January.

Melbourne City commenced pre-season training on Monday 9 June and this will be the first open hit-out for van’t Schip’s new-look squad, with the Club set to take a full-strength squad for the match.

With newcomers James Brown, Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling and Aaron Mooy joining the Club last week, the match against the Red Devils could present the quartet with their debuts.

New signing Damien Duff, who was announced last week, will not take part in the match and will join his teammates in July.

“We have had a positive start to pre-season and this match will give us an indication of where we are at after the first couple of weeks,” van’t Schip said.

“We are building an exciting squad, but it’s important for the players to first build match fitness, and for us to integrate our new squad members into the style of football we want to play.”

Ballarat Chairman Duncan Smith said the passionate Ballarat football community were excited about the prospect of Melbourne City visiting the region.

“This is what we wanted when we first talked about building a football stadium in Ballarat; the opportunity to bring matches like this to the region,” Smith said.

“In what we hope will be the first of many clubs and teams that come to Ballarat to train and play on what I believe is the best stadium in regional Victoria.

“We are now starting to build up the awareness that Ballarat is a very good option for teams to come to, now that we have a fantastic stadium and a Red Devils team in the NPL.”

Edited by Tommykins