Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

Villa, Duff, International marquee (Lampard?), Bresciano/Kennedy, Mooy, Mauk, Mate, Williams.  

Good times.

I still believe Lampard will be signed by NYFC we will get him on some sort of loan deal, leaving our marquee spot open for an international in which I believe will be a striker and I reckon Bresciano will come as aussie marquee for the midfield hold  

Villa, Duff, International marquee (Lampard?), Bresciano/Kennedy, Mooy, Mauk, Mate, Williams.  

Good times.

I still believe Lampard will be signed by NYFC we will get him on some sort of loan deal, leaving our marquee spot open for an international in which I believe will be a striker and I reckon Bresciano will come as aussie marquee for the midfield hold  

Agreed.

Imagine if we signed someone like Eto'o as our international marquee on top of all that, would be ridiculous really.

In all honesty, if that were to happen, it would be like having an EPL quality attacking lineup.

Good times.

Agreed.

Imagine if we signed someone like Eto'o as our international marquee on top of all that, would be ridiculous really.

In all honesty, if that were to happen, it would be like having an EPL quality attacking lineup.

I may be disillusioned though haha

Just what I would do if I was Shiek  

Engelaar is gone. There is a fox sports article saying that's how we got duff. Had money put aside if engelaar left. On my phone so can't post it. There is a link on their twitter

That's slightly disappointing, but let's be honest, even though the recent Dutch article gave us a glimmer of hope, that's all it was and it was only a very remote chance (missing home is one thing, missing home and being on less money than he could get elsewhere is probably a bridge too far). Would have been nice, but now I guess we wait and see what they have up their sleeve for the other visa.

Excellent signing. A real coup getting him under the cap, as no doubt he would have been an international marquee if we went to Perth and maybe even Sydney. I reckon Duff will very nicely make the problem spot of left winger his own, so we no longer have to withstand the likes of hot-and-cold Iain Ramsay.

Also hopefully Garuccio gets a number of appearances at LW, if only as a 20-30 min sub. I'm pretty confident that he will, as JVS and the club seem to rate Garuccio, with him getting a whole 2 years contract extension in the announcement today.

Sadly though it looks confirmed that Engelaar is no longer an option, with it being reported that the money set aside for Engelaar likely was used to sign Duff (http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/republic-of-ireland-star-damien-duff-joins-melbourne-city-on-a-oneyear-aleague-deal/story-e6frf4gl-1226949496297). We maybe needed a left winger more than a midfielder with Engelaar's attributes, so it's probably a sensible outcome (if Engelaar had a bigger defensive presence in midfield, maybe things would be different. But as things stand Mooy and other midfielders probably sufficiently replace Engelaar).

It sounds like Duff is fit (with there being no mentions of injury), which is welcome news, and he'll be joining the team pretty soon, in July (probably in the UK I reckon).

So all up, very good signing, and an excellent salary cap signing. Very keen to see who we sign with the remaining 5-6 spots, including the Australian marquee and international marquee spots.

Great signing, its good to see the club has the stuck with mentality of signing senior players with the intention of them to help develop the young ones. This is shaping up to be a great squad, And the duff man tifo will look amazing imo I'm definitely up for making that!

Great signing, its good to see the club has the stuck with mentality of signing senior players with the intention of them to help develop the young ones. This is shaping up to be a great squad, And the duff man tifo will look amazing imo I'm definitely up for making that!

Good times.

I'm hoping that NYCFC end up signing Xavi, as there are new rumblings that he might leave Barca (http://www.marca.com/2014/06/08/en/football/barcelona/1402216816.html), and we end up signing Lampard as our international marquee. Not for 10 games or on loan, but as a permanent signing.

But yeah if NYCFC can't sign Xavi, I reckon they will sign Lampard. If that happens, it would take some smarts to get both Villa and Lampard signed to our club on short term deals.

To be honest, though, having Villa on a short term deal is enough for me. I'm more looking forward to our forthcoming permanent signings, including our international marquee and our Aussie marquee, and am not especially interested in the club getting anymore short term signings (although I wouldn't complain if we got Lampard on a short term deal  :P ).

• Like 2

Wowee if we manage to sign Engelaar under the cap, Kennedy and an international marquee as midfielder we are looking very dangerous. Welcome to Melbourne Damien!

If that all happens....

Surely the FFA will have to bring in a form of "mercy" rule for the other 8 clubs in the comp cause to describe each game as an arse raping wont do it justice.

(i say 8 as gathering a bunch of cunts and labeling them Victory doesnt make them a club)

Edited by [LIBBA]

I'd assume this signing means that Garrucio will be playing LB permanently this season?

I think he will come on for 20 minutes for duffman in most games in preparation for next season or the season after duff leaves. It said somewhere in the article he will be there to help the young guys coming through.

I hope anyway, I don't think wingers make good fullbacks. Can't defend and are always out of position. That's atleast from what I saw frow aziz.

When i first started to watch football (the 2002 World Cup) he and robbie keane were the third and fourth footballers I knew after Henry and Beckham. I've loved him ever since and signed him on FIFA pretty much every year for a decade haha.

Villa, Duff and 2 marquees to come. Pretty astonishing! Hope that knee is okay!

Interesting.. Obviously fits the criteria of a playing mentor for the youngsters, will be under the cap and I see him as a player that will help in this transition stage we are in.

There´s few negatives unless he breaks a leg day one..

Interesting.. Obviously fits the criteria of a playing mentor for the youngsters, will be under the cap and I see him as a player that will help in this transition stage we are in.

There´s few negatives unless he breaks a leg day one..

Which sadly isn't unprecedented... 

Great news that he has been signed under the cap. It seems as though he will not only be important on the pitch, but off it as well in terms of mentoring younger players. I rate Mauk really highly, I think he has a bright future and I am happy for him to remain here for a while longer, hopefully past the year we have signed him, but you never know, a great season and an overseas club might come calling. I rate Garrucio as well, but not at Left Back. One of the positives of signing Duff is that he could act as a mentor for Garrucio at Left Wing.