Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

Should free up a significant amount of cap space to actually sign some quality.

TBH, on his performances with us would never have picked him as a player whose last game before coming here was in the EPL. Serviceable, but for me a big disappointment.

Nevertheless, bon voyage Damien and good luck in the future.

TBH, on his performances with us would never have picked him as a player whose last game before coming here was in the EPL. Serviceable, but for me a big disappointment.

Is it really his fault? Or someone else's. Just remember Villa didn't really perform well when he was here either.

Is it really his fault? Or someone else's. Just remember Villa didn't really perform well when he was here either.

I have been thinking about this scenario for a while, but more so this season. Anyway deep down most players know exactly what's their own best position and what's their best playing style. If a player is told to play in a position or perform a role he knows is not his best option surely wouldn't HE point this out. I can fully understand a young player trying to cement a position and will play anywhere to get a game. Older seasoned experienced players you would think should go to the coach and explain his mistake. The example I use is Koren and to a lesser extent Villa and Duff. Surely after so many games of having little influence he should demand to play in a position he is suited, ultimately his carreer will suffer. Some could argue it wouldn't matter were he plays he is still not living up to expectations. So I guess what I am asking is do you think it's solely the fault of the coach a player is playing badly and out of form in a relatively unfamiliar position or does the actual player share the blame for being shit?

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this scenario for a while, but more so this season. Anyway deep down most players know exactly what's their own best position and what's their best playing style. If a player is told to play in a position or perform a role he knows is not his best option surely wouldn't HE point this out. I can fully understand a young player trying to cement a position and will play anywhere to get a game. Older seasoned experienced players you would think should go to the coach and explain his mistake. The example I use is Koren and to a lesser extent Villa and Duff. Surely after so many games of having little influence he should demand to play in a position he is suited, ultimately his carreer will suffer. Some could argue it wouldn't matter were he plays he is still not living up to expectations. So I guess what I am asking is do you think it's solely the fault of the coach a player is playing badly and out of form in a relatively unfamiliar position or does the actual player share the blame for being shit?

It's a good point.

I have a feeling they already would have done this, but JVS won't budge from his style. Hence the reason for the frustration these guys carry. Well that's how I perceive them anyway - Koren to me looks like he doesn't have that much respect for the coach and it wouldn't surprise if the other lads didn't either.

• Like 1

So I guess what I am asking is do you think it's solely the fault of the coach a player is playing badly and out of form in a relatively unfamiliar position or does the actual player share the blame for being shit?

Absolutely the coaches fault. The coach is fully aware of where a players preferred position is their decision to play them elsewhere for whatever reason. Its not up to the player to coach the coach. The players job is to play the role they have been asked to play- by the coach. 

Firstly I think performance wise Duff was one of our best players this season, and rightly so, having just come from the epl. I don't think a coach is responsible for an individual's performance from an effort point of view, as they should be trying to give their best no matter where they play. Where the coach falls short is utilising his players to maximise their abilities. I don't think Duff was used to his best ability and I definitely think Villa wasn't used to his best ability either. If he had been utilised with a different philosphy of playing football and perhaps played on the left wing could he have had a greater impact? I'd like to think so. This is where it reflects back on the coaches plan and vision of how they want to play the game. It's a sum of all of its parts that impacts how individuals impact the game.

• Like 2

Might not be 100% gone according to JVS. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jvs-buoyant-despite-losses/7f5i0tubob6r1wtotms9stdeh

According to van 't Schip though, the veteran, spotted undergoing the early stages of his rehabilitation at City's gleaming new training complex on Friday, is yet to confirm he will not be staying for a second Hyundai A-League campaign.

"We talked about it but it's [at an] early stage," he said.
"Of course he's thinking about the rest of his career but also the rest of his life after football. A combination of maybe doing some courses to get his coaching badges and playing ... to finish in a good way. 
"I can imagine if you have to stop like this with an injury, maybe you want to do it a different way. It's totally up to Damien. He will come up with something he's happy with."

• 1 month later...

Impressed to see Duff fly over to support the boys and is on the same 6am flight back to Melbourne.

In fairness, the club would be paying for his flight lol. Not like he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

Fair point, but I don't see any of our LTI players going to matches let alone away games in Wellington on crutches like Duff.

• 3 weeks later...

Duff leaves lasting legacy

Following a season-ending injury in February, former Irish international Damien Duff could have easily packed his bags and returned home to undergo a long rehabilitation on his calf and ankle injuries away from the football club.

While some media outlets reported Duff had departed Australia for his homeland, Duff remained in Melbourne, quietly working behind the scenes on his rehab at the City Football Academy, Melbourne.

Unbeknown to many, Duff’s impact during this period would be profound, especially on the squad’s younger players. While his contribution on the field for City in his 15 matches for John van’t Schip’s side was memorable, arguably his impact off it was just as important.

With experience in England’s Premier League with Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Newcastle United and Fulham, Duff not only provided a presence on the field, but was a great role model for Melbourne City’s younger players.

Faced with a long lay-off period, Duff continued to come into Melbourne City FC’s headquarters on a daily basis, speaking to the younger players and keeping them motivated throughout the campaign.

Passing on his wisdom and experiences from his time in England’s top flight, Duff’s efforts did not go unnoticed and the Irishman was awarded the Clubman Award as recognition for his outstanding contribution to the club both on and off the pitch.

A man of few words at the best of times, Duff was shocked with the accolade.

“I’m pretty shocked to be fair, I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve this, I’m a bit embarrassed” Duff said at the awards evening last Tuesday.

“I’m very honoured; thanks to everyone at the Club, to Scott [CEO Scott Munn], and everyone involved.

“I’m not the most vocal on or off the pitch… but I just try and work hard every day and try and influence the young lads and tell them to get to the top you can never really slack off and you have to give 110 per cent.

“It’s working hard on the pitch but also making sacrifices off the pitch, early nights, eating the right food, not drinking.”

Despite not continuing with the Club next season, Duff said he had enjoyed his time with Melbourne City FC, despite the injury-set back.

“Personally, [the injury] has been unfortunate for me, I came here with big ambitions for the year, but I’ve had an absolutely amazing experience,” Duff said.

So what’s next for the outgoing Melbourne City FC winger?

“I’m getting there [with rehabilitation], it’s part two – which will be two, three months – get home to Ireland, get fit and get playing again.”

“I’m 36 but I’m still as hungry as I was when I left for England when I was 16 so I’m looking to play again and is the plan is to play in Ireland.”

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 1