Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

I´m far from sure this Damien Duff rumour got legs.. at this time of the year agents and players are desperate to announce the availability of players unless they already got contracts.

Edited by M13

Why are we signing wingers? That is the last place we need new signings. We need mids and strikers

Why are we signing wingers? That is the last place we need new signings. We need mids and strikers

New formation leaked

CF

3xLW 3xRW

LB CB RB

GK

New formation leaked

CF

3xLW 3xRW

LB CB RB

GK

Since when did we have an actual RB?

• Like 1

If that's what the 36 scouts can come up with then sacked them all. FFS

That'll be novel, a 35 year old playing for us. Hopefully untrue as a waste of a visa signing.

If Duff is an example of a younger player looking to make his name then it's a good thing that CFG aren't signing any 'old players' looking for a final pay check or else we'd be signing Pele

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Duff inside the cap would be one of the most impressive signings in A-League history. One of my oldest football memories was watching this bloke tear it up at the 2002 world cup with my older brother's second or third generation Irish mate who was living with us at the time. He was considered one of the best players in the world back then and I'm confident he's more than capable of cutting the mustard in the A-League. How many players in A-League history have scored a goal at a world cup? Maybe 4 or 5? Puts him in the company of ADP, Kewell, Aloisi and Smeltz.

Definitely not worthy of a marquee spot though.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

One of my oldest football memories was watching this bloke tear it up at 2002 world cup

One of my oldest memories was watching Pele tear it up at a World Cup. Very impressive player, I wouldn't sign him in 2014 though Sounds like a good player this Pele you talk about. I hear his son is in a bit of trouble lately.
  • Like 2

One of my oldest football memories was watching this bloke tear it up at 2002 world cup

One of my oldest memories was watching Pele tear it up at a World Cup. Very impressive player, I wouldn't sign him in 2014 though Sounds like a good player this Pele you talk about. I hear his son is in a bit of trouble lately.

sentenced to 33 years jail!

If that's what the 36 scouts can come up with then sacked them all. FFS

I recall that when JvS was appointed as Head Coach for 3 years he made it very clear that although City were there to provide resources he was the head coach and he would be making the Heart football decisions. So we can't blame City for any crappy players we re-sign or sign - these decisions are being made here in Melbourne, not in Manchester. We would hope that City are part of the process, but the final decisions lie with JvS.

Irish winger Damien Duff reportedly set for move to A-League to play with Melbourne Heart

Matt Windley

June 3, 2014

THE Manchester City revolution at Melbourne Heart continues to evolve with 100-time Irish international Damien Duff now linked to the club.

Reports in England suggested Duff, a two-time Premier League winner with Chelsea, would become Heart’s first major signing since City’s January takeover.

The 35-year-old winger this week confirmed his departure from relegated EPL club Fulham.

Whether Duff would become the club’s international marquee remains unclear, as Heart was unwilling to buy in to the signing speculation.

The money to pay the Irishman under the salary cap could potentially be available after 2013-14 marquee Orlando Engelaar knocked back a reduced deal to stay.

But Duff would likely have to take a considerable pay cut in order for his wages to be included under the cap.

Football Federation Australia has to approve all marquee signings.

Heart’s sister club, New York City FC, this sweek unveiled Spanish superstar David Villa as its first official signing.

New York sporting director Claudio Reyna said Villa would go out on loan prior to the March kick-off of the Major League Soccer season, leaving the door ajar to a potential 10-game guest stint for Heart.

But Reyna did confirm Villa would not turn out for EPL champions Manchester City.

“He will be playing some games, but we can’t reveal where just yet,” Reyna said.

New York City is also expected to announce the signing of England vice-captain Frank Lampard in the coming weeks.

A-League teams can sign one guest player per season for a maximum of 10 games.

That player’s wages would be paid outside of the salary cap.

It has been said previously that one of New York’s star signings would likely come to Heart on loan in order to stay match fit before the start of the American season.

Heart would not comment about the Duff situation when contacted.

The club did provide a sweeping statement to the paper about player recruitment last week when approached about speculation relating to Villa.

It read: “After two months of work led by Brian Marwood, John van’t Schip, John Didulica and Txiki Bergiristain, the club has secured 17 of its permitted 23 squad members for the 2014-15 season.

“This includes the recent signings of Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling, James Brown and Aaron Mooy.

“With an allowance of six possible further signings the club is excited at the prospect of the squad that it is assembling.

“Within the 17 secured squad members are two existing visa players in the form of experienced defender Robbie Wielaert and midfielder Jonatan Germano. This means that the Club has the opportunity to sign a further three visa players. In addition the rules allow for a guest player for up to ten games of the season.

“With all of this in mind, the club will look to build the strongest squad possible for the forthcoming season.”

After announcing he is leaving Fulham, Duff said this week: “It was time for everyone, for me and the club to part ways. It’s sad but that’s the way it is.

“I’ve matured as a person and a player at Fulham. Since I’ve been here I’ve got married, had two kids, so it has been a special time in my life and I stand by what I’ve said before that my most enjoyable time in football has been at Fulham.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/irish-winger-damien-duff-reportedly-set-for-move-to-aleague-to-play-with-melbourne-heart/story-fnk9a3dc-1226942042538

Edited by Murfy1

So potentially and more so hopefully he signs under the cap. Maybe it was same sort of figure offered to Engelaar. If he is under the cap that IMO is a massive coup and extremely exciting development, alongside Villa on a 10 game loan, with the international marquee to come. Wow. 

Alternatively is he is our international marquee then I and a lot of others would definitely be disappointed.   

• Like 3

If we can sign Damien Duff inside the cap, that would mean that Heart:

- Took our Australian marquee David Williams, who scored 12 goals and was named a starting striker in the PFA's team of the season, and signed him inside the cap

- Lost Engelaar (perhaps our only significant loss)

- And have signed Aaron Mooy inside the cap, Damien Duff inside the cap

- And look certain to sign an Australian marquee, an international marquee and a guest player

So all up we might lose Engelaar, and gain Williams inside the cap, Mooy, Duff, an Australian marquee, an international marquee and a guest player.

Leaving aside the fact that the club would have space for 4-5 signings, our team will be massively improved if we can secure Duff under the cap, and then can do the business and sort out some marquees. Already the prospects of the squad rebuild are starting to look very very good.

• Like 1

For half a season initially?... Like say from a time where an eventual guest player from NYCFC leaves to attend their pre-season training?

very interesting point

In that case it could be assumed villa will be on loan, and therefore take up a visa position up until January, with Duff coming in after. Which would mean there is room for another guest player outside of this?

Edited by heart_fan10

I’m pretty sure the half the season comment was made because the writer doesnt understand the intricacies of southern and northern hemisphere seasons. Which doesn’t surprise me since the original article is badly written

• Like 2

For half a season initially?... Like say from a time where an eventual guest player from NYCFC leaves to attend their pre-season training?

very interesting point

In that case it could be assumed villa will be on loan, and therefore take up a visa position up until January, with Duff coming in after. Which would mean there is room for another guest player outside of this?

That would be quite possible under the rules as I understand them. Duff presumably has to have further work on his knee to remove a screw etc.. The above would also fit in with what is possibly going to be a break in the A-League season for the Asian Cup.

I'm sure CFG will play strictly by the rules in the various competitions, but one of the advantages that CFG brings is the opportunity for "in-house" player movements between clubs.

I honestly can't see Duff being under the cap. Why would someone who last year earning around $4 million in arguably the worlds best league, then next season go to a club in Australia on a salary of roughly $500,000 with just 7000 members. Makes no sense to me.

I bloody hope I'm wrong.

Relegation/being old/young family

• Like 1

I think 500k a year would be a good result at his age, coming off an injury. Not to mention endorsements and sponsorships, and perhaps the opportunity to play with an ex teammate again ;)

Super Frank?

Haha yes, see the marquee thread for the Schwarzer video