Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

2nd in the golden boot.

A quarter of his goals were pens (he scored 3 pens). So he scored 9 goals in open play, and he played in every game bar 1, so 9 over 26 games. Taggart, who scored 4 more goals than Williams overall, only scored 1 pen, and multiple golden boot contenders didn't take pens at all.

Also, in recent seasons a 35 year old Daniel McBreen has won the A-League golden boot (with 17 goals), and Jeremy Brockie has finished 2nd in the running for a golden boot (with 16 goals). And Matt Simon must be one of the best strikers to ever grace the A-League, because he has finished 2nd for the A-League golden boot.

So winning the golden boot in the A-League is nothing special, and coming 2nd in the running for the golden boot is particularly nothing special. It's just one statistic, and I can point to numerous other stats that point out Williams' numerous shortcomings.

The clubs highest scorer. First hatrick of the club

So? Those points just say a lot about the club, and little about David Williams.

Playing for the worst team in the league. Great return.

Judging by that vid, JVS' Espanol will be fine to speak with Villa :)

Not really... That was Spanish at an extremely basic level.

Well he is not going to be talking about theories created Nietsche or Kant or Stephen Hawking, he is going to be talking football; and for that his spanish is good enough. Also David Villa will be playing in the USA, specifically in New York so he will have to learn English. As for the vid, I couldn't get over the speed of the Mexican Spanish. Much faster than I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a big call to say he resents coming here. It's ten weeks in a weak league. If I was him I'd be looking forward to it. People love visiting Australia in general. He's a multi millionaire and will be able to eat at the best restaurants in Melbourne every night.

I'm going to assume he feels positive about the whole thing. 

• Like 1

I really don't care when he arrives just as long as he is match ready. For all we know he could be training in Spain or New York. I highly doubt he is doing nothing, that's pretty irresponsible on New Yorks part if true

1.5 or two weeks would be nice for our case to promote the club and to let him train a little with the squad for the Sydney game. But whatever

I really don't care when he arrives just as long as he is match ready. For all we know he could be training in Spain or New York. I highly doubt he is doing nothing, that's pretty irresponsible on New Yorks part if true

1.5 or two weeks would be nice for our case to promote the club and to let him train a little with the squad for the Newcastle game. But whatever

Edited by n i k o

He'll be like an engelaar, cruising around the pitch at about 60-70% intensity, making his opponents look silly and creating and scoring goals for us. :up:

This is the most likely outcome... lets remember who are talking about here.

Edited by cadete

I've only seen the journalist Ray Gatt tweet:

Hearing David Villa won't be joining Melbourne City until first week in October.

https://twitter.com/Gatty54/status/497149689058164736

So I guess that would mean Villa would arrive between Wednesday the 1st of October and Sunday the 5th of October.

Perhaps now Villa actually won't play in our first season game, something some people had been hoping for, which would mean he could play in the next 10 games (which includes 2 Melbourne derbies).

I agree though that like Engelaar he'll be very effective, even if he's just cruising around the pitch.

Hopefully Koren, Duff, Mooy and maybe some other players step up, and both play great and show that they are happy to wear the shirt. I also don't really mind what Villa's attitude is (although, of course, it would be preferable if he looked like he was happy to be at Melbourne), as long as Villa does his job well. Our players there for the whole season, and not Villa, should be the ones stepping up to represent the club.

I've only seen the journalist Ray Gatt tweet:

Hearing David Villa won't be joining Melbourne City until first week in October.

https://twitter.com/Gatty54/status/497149689058164736

So I guess that would mean Villa would arrive between Wednesday the 1st of October and Sunday the 5th of October.

Perhaps now Villa actually won't play in our first season game, something some people had been hoping for, which would mean he could play in the next 10 games (which includes 2 Melbourne derbies).

I agree though that like Engelaar he'll be very effective, even if he's just cruising around the pitch.

Hopefully Koren, Duff, Mooy and maybe some other players step up, and both play great and show that they are happy to wear the shirt. I also don't really mind what Villa's attitude is (although, of course, it would be preferable if he looked like he was happy to be at Melbourne), as long as Villa does his job well. Our players there for the whole season, and not Villa, should be the ones stepping up to represent the club.

I agree 'our' contracted players are the ones needing to show they care for playing for this side, villa is merely here to be a side show at that is exactly what you will get a few moments of world class brilliance each game but he won't be giving 110% and busting his arse to chase every ball down and we have to accept it just like I accept he won't play ten games for us we will be lucky to get seven

I highly suspect that he's being kept away from Melbourne because CFG are paranoid about him being injured during a ridiculously long preseason (no insult intended) which his body is simply not used to. Too much chance of an NPL player trying to impress his grandchildren by slide-tackling him dramatically and breaking a leg, or of simply pulling an inopportune calf muscle. In the meantime I can't see that they wouldn't have him training every day with a personal trainer in a private gym somewhere.

• Like 3

Tweeted by a senior representative of the Embassy of Spain to Australia, and re-tweeted immediately by the Spanish Consulate in Melbourne. I'd say this is much more authoritative than a guess made by an Australian journalist 1 month ago on twitter.

Edited by Murfy1