Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I've been following this team since it was just an idea 6 years ago and I've lost count of all the big name players that were meant to be all but signed. Players like Ronaldinho, Karagounis, Holt, Beckham, Lampard, Neil, Barton and Augustine Sokan.

I've heard Munn come out countless times talking a big game saying stuff like we're looking all around the globe for our new manager only to promote the worst out of our two assistant coaches. Saying we've signed a big name striker who is still staring in internationals only to reveal Michael "what's a offside?" Mifsud. Tweeting there's a huge announcement coming only for us to extend Clint Bolton's contract for another season.

I've been told by the club we're going to play a friendly against Inter, that the Heart isn't for sale, that we'll play sexy, winning football with an emphasis on youth development amongst countless other statements only to be let down time and time again.

Even these new owners told me that my opinion matters, that we'll be our own club, it won't be a Cardiff situation and our days of mediocrity are behind us. Since then they've re-signed Tando "Flappy Bird" Velaphi and Jason "What position can I fuck up this week?" Hoffman and done all they can to change our name, logo and colors.

I actually wonder why I still follow this rabble but yet I'm still here, still making massive trips to AAMI Park and around the country, still pouring my cash into the club and the terrace and still reading these forums everyday in the hope that things will turn around.

So I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up about us getting David Villa on any kind of contract until I see him walking out of the tunnel at AAMI Park wearing whatever monstrosity of a kit our arab overlords have been so kind to make us wear.

You had me at Augustine Sokan.

• Like 1

top post bt.  In for the fight to be on the pitch, pre game, round 2!

i wouldnt wanna fuck with a crack head that follows united and essendon tho jimmy.. them bitches be crazy

I think considering Zoo York dont kick a ball competitively until at least January 15, Villa will be farmed out at either Manchester or Melbourne City.

David Villa will not play for MCFC.. Jason Kreis, NYCFC head coach confirmed as much in an interview, they have discussed a solution but he couldn´t tell any more about it he said.

Edit/ Or was it that they already have a solution?

Edited by M13

It's now been reported that Villa will start training with NYCFC in January, seemingly the 3rd week of January (here and here).

With that in mind, it's getting even more difficult to think of other places that Villa could be loaned to for several weeks, as this American article makes clear:

Selling short term loans is not an easy task for any organization. However, NYCFC shouldn’t have that issue. Their global apparatus stretches from England to the U.S., Melbourne and now Japan.

The likely scenario would have Villa joining an established City club.

Just don’t count on him plying his trade with the Premiership side.

“We put a training plan to keep David fit and ready to compete,” Director of Football Claudio Reyna said. “The most important thing is he is ready for 2015 and we know he will be for New York City FC. He will be playing some games, but we can’t reveal where this will be.

“We can say he won’t be playing for Manchester City.”

The likely destination would be Melbourne, where the A-League has built in roster rules allowing for “guest players” (high profile stars who can be signed for the short term) to enter competition.

The rule is designed to entice footballers to get a taste of life and competition Down Under, with the hopes of roping them into a longer stay. For NYCFC, it is a loophole than may keep Villa warmed up for the 2015 campaign. Villa will not join NYCFC until the third week of January. Between then and now, only the A-League would provide the type of loan-flexibility to keep Villa active and ready.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/plans-david-villa-26283/

Also what works in Heart's favour is that Villa was mainly signed by Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain (here). It's even being reported that NYCFC coach Jason Kreis hasn't spent any time with Villa (here).

And since Ferran Soriano seems to now be the Chairman of the board for Melbourne Heart FC, it is very conceivable that Soriano and the MCFC top brass have arranged for Villa to come to the other new club that Soriano and MCFC now run.

As Lampard seems less likely to come to Heart, because Man City reportedly want to sign him on a loan to increase their quota of English players (here), the odds of Villa coming to Heart for 10 games only seem to keep increasing.

Edited by Murfy1

I take from the NYCFC top brass comments that they already now where Villa will spend his time.. Heart is really going to see a landslide of announcements given the current silence on almost every matter and somehow I got the feeling that a David Villa guest stint might be used to drum up media exposure?

Not sure exactly when memberships go on sale.

I reckon all the big announcements are pending until they get the name and 'brand' they want to use for next season sorted out. That explanation IMO best explains this statement from Reyna of NYCFC: "He [Villa] will be playing some games, but we can’t reveal where this will be". How could they be so sure Villa that will be playing games? It sounds like a club is lined up. The second part of the sentence is the most interesting: "but we can't reveal where this will be". They don't say something like "but at this stage we're not certain where this will be". With the language used in the sentence I reckon it suggests that they already have a club lined up--Melbourne Heart--although they won't make the big announcement of Villa until the club is re-branded and is known as Melbourne City (and IMO, all of the re-branding, except for the changing of the home jersey, is [sadly] a fait accompli). 

I reckon the re-branding is holding up other big announcements as well. For example, there could be an announcement regarding a new training facility. And maybe another big signing or two could be announced shortly after the big announcements about the club.

That would explain why pretty much the 'lesser' signings were announced first. So the bigger signings could be announced after the re-branding, to give more positive association to the re-branding.

The little stoush with Sydney FC, and the verdict from above that Heart should wear red and white at home next season, was conceivably a spanner in the works that has delayed the club announcements until they have the brand they want (or are prepared to accept) sorted out, and ready to be announced. 

Hopefully though Man City can give us clarity soon, and finally unveil what the club will be called and what the club will look like for next season, and just show us already what they've been scheming in the backrooms of Manchester over the past several months. Because this club and its supporters have been standing still, with too little information about the club and its future, for too long.

• Like 1

Scheming in the backrooms of London rather Murfy1.. :lol:
Stuff like names, branding, colours, sponsorships, ownerships etc are handled by CFG directly from the top floors at 10 Brock Street

But that some announcements are due soon is fairly obvious

Its seemed fairly obvious that announcements would be soon for weeks now lol. I've pretty much given up predicting when the announcements will roll out (my last prediction was this week, as Heart's pre-season and the World Cup start next week. Although it looks like that prediction will be wrong as well).

Manchester Evening News reporting that some of NYCFC's marquees, like Villa, could well play for Heart next season:

Meanwhile, Latics will play Manchester City's Australian club Melbourne Heart in a pre-season friendly at Boundary Park on July 19.

It is understood that some of City's new signings for their US franchise, New York City, may well guest for the Aussie side ahead of the new MLS season next March.

With Spanish legend David Villa already onboard and more to follow it raises the intriguing prospect that some of the game's top names may be on display.

Elsewhere, former Athletic manager Joe Royle has joined ex-Latics winger Neil Adams at Norwich City.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/oldham-athletic-could-sign-three-7216873

BTW, question for Man City supporters: is the Manchester Evening News reliable? Or at least more reliable than your standard British media outlet? From what I've seen it seems to have a pretty good track record with the news.

Edited by Murfy1

The M.E.N is rather reliable when it comes to City and United.. They can´t afford to upset the locals that buy the paper by telling porkies

I´m sure they get some hints from the local clubs as well, on what might have legs or if it´s just made up crap

Edited by M13

More to the point, the MEN is half-way between BBC and the tabloids - the tabloids will print anything, the BBC insists on having stories verified 100% before printing them. The MEN does occasionally print rumour stories, but they are ones their sources lead them to believe are very credible. This means that they are rarely the first to get a scoop on anything, but they are also the place the club is most likely to go to.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/spanish-superstar-david-villa-confirmed-for-10game-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-in-aleague/story-fnk6rlg0-1226944133920

Spanish superstar David Villa confirmed for 10-game guest stint with Melbourne City in A-League
  • Matt Windley
  • Herald Sun
  • June 05, 2014 11:30AM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ads By Google
132287-aa209cbc-ec41-11e3-bb45-046f3d36a

David Villa in action for Atletico Madrid. The Spanish striker will play for Melbourne City in the A-League. Source: AP

DAVID Villa is coming to the A-League.

Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer will play 10 games during a guest stint for the club that is now officially known as Melbourne City in an incredible coup for Australian football.

Melbourne City, formerly known as Melbourne Heart, announced its much-anticipated name change on Thursday morning.

And the Manchester City-owned club has made its first huge splash in the market by luring Villa to town on loan from sister club New York City FC.

New York, which will make its Major League Soccer debut next season, announced Villa, 32, as its inaugural signing this week.

But with the 2015 American season not commencing until March, Villa will come to Melbourne in order to maintain match fitness, as was speculated by the Herald Sun on Saturday.

132388-b3eb4c4c-ec41-11e3-bb45-046f3d36a

David Villa pictured after signing for Atletico Madrid. Source: AFP

He is likely to be available from the October kick-off of the 2014-15 A-League season and will have played his quota of games by the time the competition goes into recess for January’s Asian Cup, to be hosted by Australia.

A-League clubs are permitted to sign one guest player per season for a maximum of 10 games.

The player, who must be of high promotional value to the league, will have his wages paid outside the $2.55 million salary cap.

Villa’s acquisition does not preclude City from signing an international marquee player.

Although his stay will be brief, the Spaniard’s signing will surely go down as the biggest in the 10-year history of the A-League, arguably eclipsing that of Italian megastar Alessandro Del Piero.

134471-9a11a276-ec41-11e3-bb45-046f3d36a

David Villa celebrates scoring during his Barcelona days. Source: AFP

The striker has scored 56 goals in 94 games for Spain, including five in his country’s 2010 World Cup-winning campaign, and may line up for the Spaniards against the Socceroos in Brazil on June 24.

Villa scored 15 goals in 47 games for La Liga winners Atletico Madrid in 2013-14, playing in the European Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in his first season since moving from Barcelona.

While playing for the Catalan club, he scored in the 3-1 Champions League final win over Manchester United in 2011, won two La Liga titles and a Club World Cup.

Heart, in its former guise, was formed in 2009 and has taken part in four A-League campaigns, making the finals for the first and only time in 2011-12.

133813-a2763f94-ec41-11e3-bb45-046f3d36a

David Villa celebrates after scoring for Barcelona against Real Sociedad in 2010. Source: AFP

The City Group announced its takeover of the club on January 23 for a fee of about $11 million.

It has long been speculated the club would change its name in time for the new season.

The club’s new home kit will encompass red and black stripes and will look strikingly similar to the away kit worn by its parent club, the English Premier League champions.

Melbourne City will play its first game as a newly named club in the first-ever FFA Cup, a knockout competition based on England’s FA Cup, in early August.

Villa will not be available to play in that game as he will go on holidays after his international commitments with Spain conclude after the World Cup.

134607-a7dca3ac-ec45-11e3-bb45-046f3d36a

David Villa (right) kisses the World Cup trophy as he celebrates next to Sergio Ramos after Spain’s 2010 victory in South AFrica. Source: AFP

FACTFILE: DAVID VILLA

Position: Striker

Height: 175cm

NATIONAL TEAM

Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer

94 games, 56 goals

2010 World Cup winner

Scored five goals in 2010 World Cup finals to be equal-top scorer.

Golden boot winner at 2008 European championships with four goals.

CLUB HONOURS

Atletico Madrid

2013-14 La Liga title

2013-14 European Champions League runner-up

Barcelona

2010-11 European Champions League winner

2010-11 and 2012-13 La Liga titles

2011-12 Copa del Rey

2011 FIFA Club World Cup

Valencia

2007-08 Copa del Rey

LEAGUE APPEARANCES

Years // club // games // goals

1999-2001 Sporting Gijon B 65 (25)

2001-03 Sporting Gijon 80 (38)

2003-05 Zaragoza 73 (32)

2005-10 Valencia 166 (108)

2010-13 Barcelona 77 (33)

2013-14 Atletico Madrid 36 (13)

2014 Melbourne Heart (loan) —

2015- New York City —

So to put this in perspective for me...

- Spain is #1 team in the world defending their WC this year.

- Villa is the all time leading goal scorer for the #1 team in the world who is still part of that team.

- Villa is coming to play for us.

Just letting that sink in... f*kn WOW!

• Like 2