Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Munn on SEN just noted that they haven't decided on his 'status' yet.

As if the make-up of the remainder of the squad wasn't intriguing enough...if another NYC star was possible as the guest alongside Villa, that would be outrageous.

David Villa to play with Melbourne City

Dominic Bossi 

Published: June 5, 2014 - 8:25PM

The Melbourne City era will begin with a new name, badge and colours – plus Spain's all-time greatest goalscorer leading their forward line after David Villa signed on for a 10-game stint as a guest player.

Villa is potentially the first of many big-name stars to join Melbourne City, the newly rebranded Melbourne Heart. City will begin their existence with a World Cup winner among the ranks, wearing a white and sky blue kit bearing a new logo incorporating the flag of the city, with the red and white stripes of Melbourne Heart living on in the away strip.

Melbourne City originally wanted to play in the sky blue colours of its parent club Manchester City, but after complaints from Sydney FC, the Victorian club's home kit will be predominantly white, with only a small sky blue strip.

But it is the signing of Villa, who rivals Alessandro del Piero as the best player ever to play in Australia, that has captured the imagination of the public. City will now turn their attention to filling the foreign marquee position and two other visa-player spots and will benefit from a salary cap loop-hole in their hunt.

Villa, 32, will play his next club match in Australia despite signing a three-year-deal with Manchester City's other franchise, New York City FC, whose Major League Soccer debut doesn't begin until March 2015.

The former Atletico Madrid striker could become the first of many players owned by Manchester or New York to join Melbourne on loan, with the Football Federation of Australia confirming a loan payment rule will be changed this season.

Under A-League regulations, only the portion paid directly by Melbourne City for on-loan players will count towards the salary cap, irrespective of the net wage paid by the owning club. While guest players are excluded from the A-League club's salary cap, Villa may set the precedent for Melbourne's next three foreign player signings, after club sources confirmed they will use their owners' 32 active talent scouts in their pursuit of a new marquee and two other visa players.

In a statement of their intent, former marquee and fan favourite Orlando Engelaar is a possibility to return to the club under the salary cap, but is now considered an outside chance of resigning, given the extensive resources at Melbourne City's disposal.

After unveiling their new kit, a replica of Manchester City's third strip, Melbourne City do not expect to announce a marquee signing for some time, but it's understood that they will fill all three visa-player positions with more talent after signing a player who just two weeks ago played in a UEFA Champions League final.

Villa will arrive in Melbourne shortly after his World Cup duties with Spain and vowed to perform to his best despite playing in the A-League.

"It's very good for me in every sense," Villa said. "From a football point of view, it's the opportunity to play in a new league in a different country, and, of course, it will be ideal for me to get some competitive football in the period before the MLS season gets underway ... I'll be giving everything for the team, just like I have with every club I've played for."

Ferran Soriano, the chief executive of the City Football Group, said: "The sports fans of Melbourne can look forward to seeing one of the best players in world football representing their city when David brings his rare talents to AAMI Park later this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villa-to-play-with-melbourne-city-20140605-zryfi.html

Not exactly sure what's meant by the passage stating that rules regarding players on loan will be changed by the FFA for next season. It would be a bit surprising if the rules were made to accommodate Man City, by allowing them to stack the club with star players on 'loan'. Also, I imagine the other A-League clubs would agitate to change the loan rules in the other direction, to ensure that star players can't be put into a team through the loan rules.

Nice to read that passage about Engelaar as well.

Edited by Murfy1

Pffft he's no Mifsud.

But in seriousness I haven't stopped pulling the skin off it since I read this the morning. Villa could win the golden boot in his 10 games stint.

You know as soon as you say something like this it becomes zero chance of happening damn you! 

(I'm thinking he'll be lucky to outscore Hoffman while he's here) 

Edited by Alexxandro

I will lose the plot if we keep Engelaar, easily the best player we've ever had play at the club.

Interesting stuff regarding potential alterations to the loan rules though, however I'd be surprised if it was anything drastic and am guessing it's probably more a case of tightening up any notable loop-holes so not to give us an overwhelming advantage. 

• Like 1

The problems we'll have are:

How to use Villa in a constructive way - we can see how questionable SFC's strategy of building their team around ADP was, it arguably reduced their cohesion and effectiveness. I hope that we don't do the same thing with David Villa.

How to manage the second part of the season without him? We really need a cohesive system that includes his talent but that doesn't rely on it. Over to you JVS.

• Like 1

How to use Villa in a constructive way - we can see how questionable SFC's strategy of building their team around ADP was, it arguably reduced their cohesion and effectiveness. I hope that we don't do the same thing with David Villa.

How to manage the second part of the season without him? We really need a cohesive system that includes his talent but that doesn't rely on it. Over to you JVS.

If you review last season and the chances fucked up by Missfud, Williams, Duga, and Ramsay, if 1/4 of those fall to Villa we would have used him well.

If you review last season and the chances fucked up by Missfud, Williams, Duga, and Ramsay, if 1/4 of those fall to Villa we would have used him well.

Lucky we still got Hoffman to help out.

• Like 1

Part of his "mission" is of course to help implement the style of play the top brass wants to see.. A player like Villa can show by example.

Yes but we need someone to step up and finish in the second half of the season without having to substantially chafe the way that the team plays. Josh Kennedy for instance is a different type of player who needs different service

Making news all over the world, who would of thought this a year ago? Great owners (so far) and i can only seeing it get a whole lot better. The signing of an international superstar and i assume one more on the way. I cant wait for the season to start !!!! Bring on the SCUM in Round 1 ......

Could be used as a loan player right up to the start of the MLS in March using a VISA spot with his wage being payed by NYC so it doesn't count towards the cap. Leaving the door open for NYC next marquee signing to come on a 10 game guest stint.

So imagine:

David Villa

Josh Kennedy

Damian Duff

Frank Lampard

Our own MMarquee

All in the same team.

Could be used as a loan player right up to the start of the MLS in March using a VISA spot with his wage being payed by NYC so it doesn't count towards the cap. Leaving the door open for NYC next marquee signing to come on a 10 game guest stint.

So imagine:

David Villa

Josh Kennedy

Damian Duff

Frank Lampard

Our own MMarquee

All in the same team.

Plus Hoffman Kalmar and who knows what Mifsud is doing this season? We need balance.

Not exactly sure what's meant by the passage stating that rules regarding players on loan will be changed by the FFA for next season. It would be a bit surprising if the rules were made to accommodate Man City, by allowing them to stack the club with star players on 'loan'. Also, I imagine the other A-League clubs would agitate to change the loan rules in the other direction, to ensure that star players can't be put into a team through the loan rules.

"Stack" is a bit melodramatic Murf. The numbers cap on visa players will remain, and it will be going down to 4. My view is that the hinted change represents a realisation by FFA that it's a way of getting better players into the league without full deregulation. I know I'm at the "laissez-faire" end of the deregulation spectrum, but I see the change as potentially very beneficial for the league overall. 

It still hasn't sunk in (maybe because there's still 4 months) for me and perhaps others that a player who has won the La Liga, Champions League, Euro and most importantly the World Cup for the country who is the all time top scorer of, will actually play for our club (Yes, I said OUR) albeit for 10 games. But even 1 game would be amazing.

If only there weren't the circumstances that have caused some fans to leave and spread all this negativity so we can actually appreciate it.

• Like 2

Harry Kewell hails Melbourne City’s signing of David Villa and tips Spaniard to star in Brazil

DAVID DAVUTOVIC SALVADOR, BRAZIL

HERALD SUN

JUNE 07, 2014 7:58PM

HARRY Kewell has hailed Melbourne City’s acquisition of David Villa, and predicted the Spanish striker a World Cup golden boot contender.

But Kewell warned the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid star could be in for a culture shock in Australia after he signed on a 10-game guest stint on loan from brother club New York City FC.

Kewell, who spent his final season with Melbourne City (then Heart), said Villa has been arguably Spain’s most underrated player.

“It’s unbelievable, the fact that Melbourne City have got a player of this standard goes to show what Manchester City has already brought to the A-League,’’ Kewell said.

“To be able to take a player who’s just won the La Liga and played in the Champions League final is unbelievable and you have to give the club credit.

“He hasn’t had that much hype, but he pops up when it counts and does something magnificent.

“He’s always been on the teamsheet for Spain, even (Fernando) Torres and (Cesc) Fabregas have been in and out.

“If fit, Villa is a chance to win the golden boot. He’s up there with (Robin) van Persie, (Luis) Suarez, (Wayne) Rooney, (Lionel) Messi and (Sergio) Aguero.’’

Kewell, who earlier spent a season with Melbourne Victory, said Villa may take time to adapt.

“But he will be surprised by the A-League. It’s a good, physical, tough,’’ he said.

“He won’t be playing on the surfaces he’s used to, he’ll play in the heat, catch the Red Eye from Perth.

“But he will get respect and every player at the club will be so excited to play with such a player.’’

Kewell revealed he was a recent visitor to Manchester’s Etihad Stadium and said they had huge plans for Melbourne.

“I got invited to watch Man City’s last game against West Ham and talking to them about their ideas and what they’re going to do, I think it’s going to kick on and other clubs will take notice,’’ Kewell said.

“On the field he will get Melbourne in finals contention.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/harry-kewell-hails-melbourne-citys-signing-of-david-villa-and-tips-spaniard-to-star-in-brazil/story-fnk6rlg0-1226946951422

• Like 1