Melbourne Football

MH 2014/2015 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

My starting XI ATM, the bold names are starting and the bracketed names are subs for the positions they are below:

------------------------------Villa [Kennedy]-----------------------
------------------------------(-Williams)-----------------------------
----------------------------- (-Marino)-------------------------------
------------Duff------------Koren-------------Dugandzic------
------------(-Ramsay)----(-Mauk)------------(-Brown)----------
-----------------------------(-Kalmar)----------(-Kuzmanovski)--
-----------------------Mooy-------Murdocca--------------------
----------------------(-Retre)-----(-Melling)-----------------------                                  
------Garuccio-----Kisnorbo----Wielaert----Germano---
-----------------------(-Archibald)--(-Chapman)-(-Hoffman)--
--------------------------------Redmayne-------------------------
--------------------------------(-Velaphi)---------------------------

I'm tipping Kennedy to join the team after Villa leaves, and for the club to pick up Kuzmanovski and Marino (if only on NYL contracts).

We do have a lot of attacking players, but the plan is to play very attacking football, with fullbacks that get forward and help out with the attacks, a midfield that can comfortably keep possession and enough forward/attacking players to ensure that even our squad can score lots of goals.

If we strengthen in any more positions, I'd like to see us get a LB (so it was good to see us try and sign James Meredith), and maybe a good defensive midfielder who's good with possession football, like Erik Paartalu, to take our midfield up another notch (I fully agree that he'd really complement a midfield with Mooy and Koren, and would allow them to be very attacking midfielders).  

I think we've got a very good A-League side coming together, that's got a good balance of quality throughout the team and should be able to impress next season.

• Like 1

My starting XI ATM, the bold names are starting and the bracketed names are subs for the positions they are below:

------------------------------Villa [Kennedy]-----------------------

------------------------------(-Williams)-----------------------------

----------------------------- (-Marino)-------------------------------

------------Duff------------Koren-------------Dugandzic------

------------(-Ramsay)----(-Mauk)------------(-Brown)----------

-----------------------------(-Kalmar)----------(-Kuzmanovski)--

-----------------------Mooy-------Murdocca--------------------

----------------------(-Retre)-----(-Melling)-----------------------

------Garuccio-----Kisnorbo----Wielaert----Germano---

-----------------------(-Archibald)--(-Chapman)-(-Hoffman)--

--------------------------------Redmayne-------------------------

--------------------------------(-Velaphi)---------------------------

I'm tipping Kennedy to join the team after Villa leaves, and for the club to pick up Kuzmanovski and Marino (if only on NYL contracts).

We do have a lot of attacking players, but the plan is to play very attacking football, with fullbacks that get forward and help out with the attacks, a midfield that can comfortably keep possession and enough forward/attacking players to ensure that even our squad can score lots of goals.

If we strengthen in any more positions, I'd like to see us get a LB (so it was good to see us try and sign James Meredith), and maybe a good defensive midfielder who's good with possession football, like Erik Paartalu, to take our midfield up another notch (I fully agree that he'd really complement a midfield with Mooy and Koren, and would allow them to be very attacking midfielders).

I think we've got a very good A-League side coming together, that's got a good balance of quality throughout the team and should be able to impress next season.

FYI Kuzmanovski trialled for WSW the other night.

My starting 11

-------------------------Williams------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Villa [Kennedy]----------------

-------------------------------(-Brown)-------------------------------

-------------------------------(-Mauk)--------------------------------

------------------------------(-Marino)-------------------------------

---Duff------------------------Mooy-----------------Dugandzic---

--(-Garuccio)-------------(-Brown)-----------------(-Brown)----

---(-Ramsay)--------------(-Mauk)----------------(-Garuccio)--

-------------------------------(-Kalmar)------------------------------

--------------------------------Koren----------------------------------

--------------------------(-Murdocca)-------------------------------

------------------------------(-Retre)----------------------------------

-------------------------------(-Melling)------------------------------

-----Germano-------Kisnorbo----Wielaert-----Hoffman------

-----(-Ramsay)----------(-Chapman)---------(-Chapman)-----

---------------------------(-Archibald)-------------------------------

----------------------------Redmayne-------------------------------

----------------------------(-Velaphi)--------------------------------

Williams deserves to start imo. Yes he's missed a lot of easy opportunities in the past, but he began to prove himself under JVS in the second half of last season scoring 8 goals, he's also had a good start to preseason so far. If Kennedy comes at the mid point in the season I would play them in different roles up front JK playing more as a target man and Williams as the pacey striker. Just to have a few options to score goals. But if were not getting enough possession in the middle I'd take him off for Murdocca and play with two dm's.

Brown probably hasn't earnt a spot in the 11 yet but he'd be our best bench player so he'd be first sub for my in most attacking positions. A lot of people also want garrucio starting at lb, I think we would be better off getting him experience in the lw role having duff as him mentor rather than put him on out of position which might not be good for him if we don't intend to play him there long term. The hoff has played well at fullback so it would be a risky bet to play him there with little experience.

I hope our last visa player is a full back, it's clearly where we're lacking the most.

thoughts on signing Milos Lujic from northcote as a back up striker?

Would take. He seems a decent enough young(ish) striker to be a backup striker for us, and especially because we have no one as a back up striker right now, we just need to bring in someone else so the burden isn't all on Williams (even assuming we get an Australian marquee striker I still think we need someone besides Williams, because as last season showed if our 1st choice striker isn't playing for whatever reason we can't afford to pin our goal-scoring hopes on Williams alone).

Also, as another bonus, we'd see more Seinfeld clips on the forum if we signed up Milos.

• Like 1

I think Melling might be the dark horse of the squad to break through into the 11 this year.

Seems to be a really strong player for a young lad but he's got a lot of competition for places through that centre of midfield, it'll be interesting to see if JVS tries to implement Popa's rotation policy or something of that ilk.

• 1 month later...

----------------------Redmayne------------------

-Germano--Kisnorbo--Wielaert--Ramsey-

---------------------Paartalu----------------------

-------Mooy-------------------------Duff---------

----------------------Koren------------------------

--------------Villa------------Williams-----------

Hello Champions 2015!!

Hello Champions 2015!!

Not sure why you have Villa in that line up. He certainly won't be winning a championship with us.

Hello Champions 2015!!

Are you playing mooy on the wing or duff in the middle?

Can't believe anyone would select Germano...bloke can't even get on to the pitch for a practice match.

The only reason I can think that he's lasted this long at the club is because he is cheap.

Will be gone next season though.

well he won't be considered a visa player, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's kept

If we can get a fit Argentinian playing as a non-Visa player on peanuts in our squad...I can't see anything wrong with that...

There's no doubt that he would be kept as an australian player on a cheap salary if he can get himself onto the pitch and keep himself there without any injuries. But if he's not able to play the majority of the season then I don't see any point taking up a position whether he is a visa signing or an australian signing.

Velaphi

Hoffman   Weilart  Kisnorbo  Garrucio

Paartalu

Koren  Mooy

Duff  Williams  Villa

Bench: Redmayne, Murdocca, , Mauk, Duganzic, Marc Marino

Players left out: Kalmar, Ramsey, Jacob Melling, Paul Retre, James Brown, Connor Chapman, Germano

I have Germano left out of the squad purely based on him not being fit or taking part in many pre season games. If Germano was fit he would fit in at RB replacing Hoffman. That would then mean Mauk would be dropped from the bench and Hoffman would take his place. Many people will question why I have Garrucio in at left back while I agree with most that he has lacked some coverage when defending I feel there is no one on the list at the moment who could take this position as their own and I feel with Garrucio’s run and foot skills he would be key for any attacking moves from our left back.

Ramsey doesn’t fit in the squad because he is a winger and at the moment you have Villa, Duff, Duganzic, and Garuccio who are ahead of him.

Williams is my striker because I felt his second half of the season under JVS was a step in the right direction and I just feel with better ball delivery from Villa, Duff, Mooy, Koren and Paartalu he will have a lot more chances on goal this season. And yes I am well aware of his inaccuracies at times to finish, however I have faith in him putting in the hard yards this offseason to improve on his finishing.

My most notable change to most peoples starting eleven is Villa on left wing, to me that is his position. That is the position he has played the last few seasons and most like the spot in which he will take up in New York. I think JVS will be advised to play him there and honestly I believe is a lot deadlier to opposition by cutting in rather than out pacing defenders also better supply to our striker.

Marc Marino gets a spot on the bench. I have feeling about the kid. Give him game time we may have a gem of a striker on our hand. No better way than playing him alongside world class wingers and midfielders.

I have gone with Velaphi not because I believe he is massively better than Redmayne but that I have just had enough of Redmayne. Redmayne has had endless goes at making amends of his previous faults but just keeps doing stupids things eg. Sydney FFA cup game first goal. Time for Velaphi to come in and have a few gaffers of his own.

Edited by drewmelbcity

velaphi will be the the starting GK, he ended the season well, with three starts and I cant see redders outplaying velaphi by that much because they are both horrible. Velaphi also didnt give me as much of a hearts attack when he got the ball as redmayne does and he made Ono miss a pen because of his intimidating size. In saying that I wouldnt mind the youth keeper marco something? play some games.

Actually forgot about Marino and Retre.

Going from a dodgy youtube highlights clip, Marino looks different to most Australian players.

He relies on quick feet and mind which is exciting from a technical point of view.

Would like to see what he can do with some bench time.

Just read he played futsal, you can tell, looks gifted.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

Willy  Kisnorb

Hoffy                 Ramy

Party                    Doccy

Kory                                Duffy

Villy                                             Wilbo

The JVS Trapazoid

Edited by Dylan