Melbourne Football

The Jacob Melling Thread

AntiScum

As usual gave his all.

What I will say though is that he has looked a bit jaded the last couple of games. If Paartalu is fit for the next game would you give him a break by having him on the bench?

You need to be careful with young players, especially one like Jacob who plays at a high intensity every game.

As usual gave his all.

What I will say though is that he has looked a bit jaded the last couple of games. If Paartalu is fit for the next game would you give him a break by having him on the bench?

You need to be careful with young players, especially one like Jacob who plays at a high intensity every game.

must play him, work rate is far too crucial to be missing

if you can't play 1 game a week then you something's wrong

As usual gave his all.

must play him, work rate is far too crucial to be missing

if you can't play 1 game a week then you something's wrong

His work rate is one of his biggest attributes. This is why I am concerned about him. I don't think it is a matter of being fit enough to play, more of playing at the high intensity that he does.

As usual gave his all.

Sage advice. Important not to run him into the ground. Unfortunately our injury toll makes resting players challenging but hopefully we'll find a way.
  • Like 3

Think he misses having Paartalu on the pitch. He's naturally a high intensity box to box midfielder who makes darting runs when Mooy or Paartalu have possession. Having Koren occupying that space stifled his movement, often finding himself getting the ball while in heavy traffic, which isn't his strength.

• 2 weeks later...
Melbourne City FC can confirm that central midfielder Jacob Melling will undergo arthroscopic surgery this week after sustaining an injury to his right knee in the Club’s Hyundai A-League match against Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Sunday.

The injury will leave Melling, 19, sidelined for at least three weeks. The teenager has featured in 13 matches for Melbourne City FC this season and has cemented a starting position since December.

The midfielder went down with a knock that was picked up in the early stages of the second half and was substituted in the 58th minute for Paulo Retre.

Melling was the Etihad Player of the Month for December and the South Australian has worked closely with Aaron Mooy to bring a level of tenacity and grit to the Melbourne City FC midfield.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melling-sidelined/1ushe1iyh8hw1do0mjw1qtw6g#mjVGTFKx4MyTtuGy.99

What a shame for the young bloke. We have not managed him well by putting too much pressure on a young man to be the aggressor in midfield. I hope he recovers quickly and this injury does not put back his career too much.

Surely Ramsay has put a curse on all of them. With Melling injured, Koren will probably take his midfield position and Ramsay will go back on the wing.

But I hope Germano takes his place or even Mass as long as it means Ramsay is no where near the starting 11.

If Ramsay does play, it'll be against his old side so maybe he'll fire up for this match...then again...no, no he probably won't!

all reports said ramsay had a good game in the last NYL game because.. well its the NYL. Why not use all advantages at hand to win the clubs first piece of silverware?

What are you talking about? We have already won the prestigious Craig Foster Cup.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

So apparently Melling is out for 3 weeks. Given that length of time is known at la trobe as "A Germano" this is quite concerning.

The sooner we move off the old Indian burial ground the better.

"A Germano".

Love it and will be using it from now on

I thought that a 'Germano' was half of a season

I think it's a little bit like that old unit of distance known as the "league." It's variable. Loosely defined as "an unavailability due to injury of between three weeks and half a season." Season itself of course is also a variable. So you have the definition of a variable that incorporates another variable.

Another definition is that a Germano "is the Higgs Boson of football" - something that people believe is there but you can't actually find.

• 2 weeks later...