Melbourne Football

James Brown

GreenSeater

When Newcastle signed him it was quite a coup and he seemed to be destined to be a quality player, much similar to Craig Goodwin at the time. Both haven't come close to the heights expected, and have found themselves behind the likes of Jacob Pepper, Sam Gallaway, etc in GVE's eyes.

So I'll reserve judgement until he gets some games under his belt because during his time at GCU he was a standout.

• Like 1

I think it's interesting that we now have 6 central midfielders without signing a marquee player yet.

If I had to rank them:

1. Mooy

2. Murdocca

3. Mauk

4. Germano

5. Brown

6. Kalmar

I understand they each have their own talents and attributes but I do wonder how they're all going to fit into the plan, especially if we do sign a marquee playmaker as well (Bresciano or an international).

Well you have to consider that 3 will be starting (if JvS plays his preferred 4-3-3).
All would ideally be dynamic central midfielders, but with different mentalities.

Currently we have:
Defensive: Murdocca, Germano
Box-box: Mauk, Kalmar (both also capable of playing more attacking)
Attacking: Mooy, Brown

I'd assume one of each line will start most games, provided we don't sign a trequartista/#10 (at which point the team would change to a 4-2-3-1).
Let's also assume Germano plays at wing-back, so that brings it down to 5.

Currently, I'd think Murdocca, Mauk and Mooy would be starting trio, with a Marquee a possible replacement for Mauk in the ideal starting XI.

• Like 1

Kalmar is listed on the club website as a contracted player for next season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-Confirms-Departure-of-Four-Players/90216

I don't think he's a re-sign for this season. Rather, he was given a two-year extension last season. As was Germano.

Generally speaking, I don't get two-year contracts for fringe players. It's not as though anyone else is after them. They become list-cloggers, as we now see.

I know others disagree, at least to some extent, but I'm not impressed with our recruiting and re-signing strategies.

Most of Heart's problems are of our own making.

• Like 1

Kalmar is listed on the club website as a contracted player for next season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-Confirms-Departure-of-Four-Players/90216

I don't think he's a re-sign for this season. Rather, he was given a two-year extension last season. As was Germano.

Generally speaking, I don't get two-year contracts for fringe players. It's not as though anyone else is after them. They become list-cloggers, as we now see.

I know others disagree, at least to some extent, but I'm not impressed with our recruiting and re-signing strategies.

Most of Heart's problems are of our own making.

I disagree.

2 year extensions provide more security for both the club and the player.

If he has a good year, the club has him locked in for another.

If he has a brilliant year, the club can make money off him.

If things go badly, the contract can be terminated (either by a pay-out or by an agreement).

Much easier to cut a player than to renegotiate his contract...

Especially in Australia where most players leave their clubs amicably, and I assume pay-outs aren't often enforced.

I see both Germano and Kalmar as required players. They both play with conviction. I'd hate to see them in some other clubs kit. I'd love for both of them to end their playing careers in Melbourne City colors. 

I agree with your first part, disagree with your second.

Yes, they are required for now, and do play with conviction.

However, end their playing careers at the club? Not sure about that.

If the club wants to achieve the things it speaks about (domestic and continental success) then that means that constant improvement is needed.

Ideally that is done by improving the base standard of players in the squad, meaning that there will come a time when current first-team players will become the back-ups, and current back-ups won't be good enough.

I see both Germano and Kalmar as required players. They both play with conviction. I'd hate to see them in some other clubs kit. I'd love for both of them to end their playing careers in Melbourne City colors.

Why do we always fawn over the same players? Agree wholeheartedly, although it may not be logical.

It's sentimental value about them ending their careers here... in terms of that though, it's logical to play the strongest 11. They are no doubt a part of that 11... as they age they might not be part of the strongest 11. But, also, they shouldn't be let lose to go to other clubs as they can cause damage to teams.

Kalmar's finished mate, even if he is signed for next season he'll be playing with the hoff in the youth league.

Germanos interesting, when he plays i reckon he's quite solid, but the guy is just made of glass. Can we really afford to use a visa spot on a guy who'll only play half a season max?

Edited by kingofhearts

I reckon our most important recruit so far might not be any player, but Simone Ripamonote. Seriously, people get too hung up on individual players sometimes. In a salary capped league, there's not that much difference in quality between any of the squads in the league when you take away the better marquees.

What will help us mext year will be things like better injury management, better coaching, and having most of the squad together from the start of pre season. As well as the quality of players we can get on top of the cap.

So far, we've made basically wholesale changes to the squad every pre season which has meant that when pre season training starts, there's maybe half a squad with some triallists and youth players, players with injury interrupted pre seasons, (usually Kalmar & Germano) training either at a waterlogged La Trobe or at different venues around Melbourne, with the squad usually not finallised until the eve of the season. It's no wonder we've never made a good start to a season.

This preseason should be different. We should have the majority of the squad together from the start. We've got a fitness guy who knows what he's doing. The training ground at La Trobe has been fixed up. I think these things, and most importantly, how JVS coaches the squad, will be waaaay more important than the difference between Kalmar and Brown or a couple of other alternatives we could get for the same money.

Every player in our squad can play. It's up to the club and the coaches to prepare them well and get the best out of them.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

I reckon our most important recruit so far might not be any player, but Simone Ripamonote. Seriously, people get too hung up on individual players sometimes. In a salary capped league, there's not that much difference in quality between any of the squads in the league when you take away the better marquees.

What will help us mext year will be things like better injury management, better coaching, and having most of the squad together from the start of pre season. As well as the quality of players we can get on top of the cap.

So far, we've made basically wholesale changes to the squad every pre season which has meant that when pre season training starts, there's maybe half a squad with some triallists and youth players, players with injury interrupted pre seasons, (usually Kalmar & Germano) training either at a waterlogged La Trobe or at different venues around Melbourne, with the squad usually not finallised until the eve of the season. It's no wonder we've never made a good start to a season.

This preseason should be different. We should have the majority of the squad together from the start. We've got a fitness guy who knows what he's doing. The training ground at La Trobe has been fixed up. I think these things, and most importantly, how JVS coaches the squad, will be waaaay more important than the difference between Kalmar and Brown or a couple of other alternatives we could get for the same money.

Every player in our squad can play. It's up to the club and the coaches to prepare them well and get the best out of them.

Top post mate right on the money.

I rate Germano. But you are right. Waste of a spot. I give hime one more season then try and sell him for some dim sim money

One more season and he will qualify as a non-Visa foreign. Would definitely keep him ahead of other players.

I thought I read somewhere that Germano was interested in that.

I'm in the pro-Germano camp and sorry Nate, but I'd rate him well above Murdocca.

I had an interesting conversation with a physio from the club a couple of years ago and the conversation turned to player injuries. A big problem is that foreign players can arrive from countries where the management of injuries has been repeatedly poor. As such these obvious problems take a while to fix. This was certainly the case with Alex Terra (and in the end unfixable) and I suspect is the problem with Germano. If we get this guy right (and I suspect with the game style JVS is implementing - holding possession and passing - will make this easier), then the upside is huge.

I've watched Murdocca closely all year, and at the risk of shooting Bambi, he has some major problems. A DM should only miss one or two passes a game to a target ideally and Murdocca is well off the pace here. Too many easy turnovers. Add to this he's too easily pushed off the ball and offers very little when he goes forward, you can see why Brisbane released him (McKay and Brattan sealing his fate).

Compare this to Germano: better passing, creative with the ability to provide a killer through ball, a real touch of mongrel and certainly not pushed off the ball, as well as 6 goals in 45 games (cf. Murdocca 3 goals in 189 games with Roar and Heart). He obviously enjoyed playing with Engelaar and a midfield that was creative and not static, and as we saw towards the end of the season, put quality around him and he is a far more effective player. Add to this the flexibility of playing him back, I will watch him with huge interest in the upcoming season. I hope like hell he stays fit and really gives us something as the upside will be huge if he can.

• Like 1

I'm in the pro-Germano camp and sorry Nate, but I'd rate him well above Murdocca.

I had an interesting conversation with a physio from the club a couple of years ago and the conversation turned to player injuries. A big problem is that foreign players can arrive from countries where the management of injuries has been repeatedly poor. As such these obvious problems take a while to fix. This was certainly the case with Alex Terra (and in the end unfixable) and I suspect is the problem with Germano. If we get this guy right (and I suspect with the game style JVS is implementing - holding possession and passing - will make this easier), then the upside is huge.

I've watched Murdocca closely all year, and at the risk of shooting Bambi, he has some major problems. A DM should only miss one or two passes a game to a target ideally and Murdocca is well off the pace here. Too many easy turnovers. Add to this he's too easily pushed off the ball and offers very little when he goes forward, you can see why Brisbane released him (McKay and Brattan sealing his fate).

Compare this to Germano: better passing, creative with the ability to provide a killer through ball, a real touch of mongrel and certainly not pushed off the ball, as well as 6 goals in 45 games (cf. Murdocca 3 goals in 189 games with Roar and Heart). He obviously enjoyed playing with Engelaar and a midfield that was creative and not static, and as we saw towards the end of the season, put quality around him and he is a far more effective player. Add to this the flexibility of playing him back, I will watch him with huge interest in the upcoming season. I hope like hell he stays fit and really gives us something as the upside will be huge if he can.

Technically, I 100% agree that Germano is a far superior player but as you mentioned, it's his injury problems which concern me most.

If we can get him to full fitness, he should be picked ahead of Mass.

Even though I wouldn't be thrilled with this reported signing (largely because he hasn't done much to impress over the past 2 seasons), I can understand why the club might sign him. 3 reasons:

1) There aren't that many better players coming out of contract in the A-League. Apart from Spiranovic (who would stay at WSW anyway), honestly who else is there coming out of contract? I can only think of Shane Smeltz, Marcos Flores and Carlos Hernandez, and those 3 have real issues with age, fitness and possibly attitude. So in terms of players that have actually demonstrated some quality in the A-League (as Brown did over 2 seasons at Gold Coast), Brown is an understandable A-League signing.

2) Brown can play in the no 10 position, or out wide (where Dugandzic and Ramsay play). Whilst we have a few options for the no 10 role, we don't have many options for the wide positions, especially on the right (there is pretty much only Dugandzic. All the other wide players strongly prefer playing on the left).

3) Brown can provide goals from midfield, and Heart don't have that many goal scoring midfielders. Even Mooy's ability to score goals from midfield has been questioned, so I can understand the signing of a midfield goal threat.

If Brown replicates his GCU form, he could end up being a very good signing. And he's a good age at 24 (it should be noted that nearly all Heart players are mid-20s or younger. This team is being built to last). Whilst I don't think ATM he's a very good signing, because he hasn't shown much form over the past 2 seasons (and it should be noted that he had an injury or two that disrupted those seasons, and there's some suggestion he didn't quite fit in at the Jets, so perhaps the past 2 seasons aren't that important), Brown would be a fairly decent and understandable signing, and he could turn into a very good signing.

• Like 5

On the whole Germano vs Murdocca debate, I rate Germano much higher. Stronger, better passer, can score goals. His only real issue is injuries, and I think that with some better injury management under the Manchester City regime he will be able to improve in this area. Another thing I like about him is the fact that he seems to be one of the few players that genuinely cares about the club and the fans. His passion is second to none and to be honest sometimes that's what you need in a player.

• Like 1

Even though I wouldn't be thrilled with this reported signing (largely because he hasn't done much to impress over the past 2 seasons), I can understand why the club might sign him. 3 reasons:

1) There aren't that many better players coming out of contract in the A-League. Apart from Spiranovic (who would stay at WSW anyway), honestly who else is there coming out of contract? I can only think of Shane Smeltz, Marcos Flores and Carlos Hernandez, and those 3 have real issues with age, fitness and possibly attitude. So in terms of players that have actually demonstrated some quality in the A-League (as Brown did over 2 seasons at Gold Coast), Brown is an understandable A-League signing.

2) Brown can play in the no 10 position, or out wide (where Dugandzic and Ramsay play). Whilst we have a few options for the no 10 role, we don't have many options for the wide positions, especially on the right (there is pretty much only Dugandzic. All the other wide players strongly prefer playing on the left).

3) Brown can provide goals from midfield, and Heart don't have that many goal scoring midfielders. Even Mooy's ability to score goals from midfield has been questioned, so I can understand the signing of a midfield goal threat.

If Brown replicates his GCU form, he could end up being a very good signing. And he's a good age at 24 (it should be noted that nearly all Heart players are mid-20s or younger. This team is being built to last). Whilst I don't think ATM he's a very good signing, because he hasn't shown much form over the past 2 seasons (and it should be noted that he had an injury or two that disrupted those seasons, and there's some suggestion he didn't quite fit in at the Jets, so perhaps the past 2 seasons aren't that important), Brown would be a fairly decent and understandable signing, and he could turn into a very good signing.

agree with most of what you say, the big thing for me is the if you point out and his injuries.

my reservations revolve around the fact i had always thought that Brown was noticeable largely because of his pace.  was never that convinced otherwise.

that being said, there always seemed to be a lot of positive raps around the way he went about the way he played, etc., so in some ways you do have to show a bit of trust for those making the decision to sign Brown.  

Edited by mattyh001

You'd have to assume we have signed Browny on a cheap deal and he is a probably an OK signing in that instance, because when you start thinking of attacking players who might be available in that price range, the list is pretty small.

I saw a little of him when he was at the Coast.  I didn't get the hype at first, but he kind of grew on me.   Last year at Newcastle though, I was concerned to note that neither of two different gaffers wanted to play him.  That's not a good sign.

I therefore think we've thrown the bloke a lifeline- up to him now what he does with it.

• 1 month later...