Melbourne Football

James Brown

GreenSeater

wasn't he highly regarded during his Gold Coast stint?

I would assume that by signing with a club that will have access to a better coaching staff, they will have the potential to resurrect the talent he once acquired which Newcastle killed --> Evidently, he scored 9 in 38 aps for GC compared to Newcastle with zero goals with 28 appearances

Edited by Young Polak

After his time at Gold Coast he looked a real prospect. I always consider though the reason he did well was he was a quick guy playing on the break (ala Williams at Fury). Never struck me as a gifted one touch player. Either way if he is signed I'll give him ago until he proves one way or another that it was a master stroke or a waste of time.

This is another spindly-limbed lightweight.

Brisbane are the A-league benchmark.  Go through the first 11 and from defence to attack and they are brimming with players with chunky lower bodies: strong and powerful legs and hips that win more 50-50 balls.

To be fair they picked up Halloran who I'd say was about on par with Brown when Gold Coast went down. We also picked up Mass from there. I'm not sure it is all lower body strength that separates them from us I'm sure it's other things too. I do however agree it's an area we can improve on.

This is a smart signing by Mansour and the CFG, with the name and colours bound to change, it's nice to know that some of the old Melbourne Heart (signing shit players from defunct Qld clubs) still exists. I for one feel comforted that our history is been respected.

Edited by ae7smith
  • Like 1

Standard Melbourne Heart vitriolic backlash to signing a player.

Hopefully he comes good, he's a true attacking midfielder, which is arguably something we lack, but I'd imagine that any marquee signing that we make would also be looking to fill this space too.

That's true. But do we have a good track record on signings from S2 onwards? Who would you put on a list where we should have been overwhelmingly excited at the signing and the subsequent delivery matched our anticipations?

Standard Melbourne Heart vitriolic backlash to signing a player.

Hopefully he comes good, he's a true attacking midfielder, which is arguably something we lack, but I'd imagine that any marquee signing that we make would also be looking to fill this space too.

That's true. But do we have a good track record on signings from S2 onwards? Who would you put on a list where we should have been overwhelmingly excited at the signing and the subsequent delivery matched our anticipations?

Michael Mifsud.

Dylan Macallister.

Gol Gol Mebrahtu.

Steven Gray.

Certainly not, our season 2 signings were okay (Duganzic, Good, Germano, with a pass mark for Fred and the jury still out on Williams) but after that the club went in a drastically stupid direction. Hopefully the addition of a strong manager (JVS) a well defined scouting network (which will root out the should-we-sign-Steven-Gray types) and a backroom staff which should be the envy of the league. All of these factors make me a lot happier about our recruitment prospects then over the past 2 years.

EDIT: Out of the way, marn.

The more I think about this signing of Brown the more concerned I have become.

Firstly is this signing the result of one of the reportedly well credentialed scouts?

Secondly I don't see the logic of signing players that are not considered to be a starting eleven.

Why would you bring someone in to fill a quota. If there isn't any players available then wait till you find the right one.

Like most my other posts they are pretty much without much foundation just an ill informed opinion.

Would be rapt to be proven wrong.

Certainly not, our season 2 signings were okay (Duganzic, Good, Germano, with a pass mark for Fred and the jury still out on Williams) but after that the club went in a drastically stupid direction. Hopefully the addition of a strong manager (JVS) a well defined scouting network (which will root out the should-we-sign-Steven-Gray types) and a backroom staff which should be the envy of the league. All of these factors make me a lot happier about our recruitment prospects then over the past 2 years.

EDIT: Out of the way, marn.

Germano and Fred are not good signings. A good VISA signing is Broich, Berisha, Orlando, Carrusca etc. Not injury prone/hacks that fall into your lap.

I would agree that Dugandzic and Good were great signings. Good was very young, and Dugandzic had played well at Victory before he came to us. James Brown is not that young, and has played poorly at Newcastle before jumping on board. There is nothing to me that suggests he won't fall into the same category as the guys previously mentioned.

I reckon Chapman is a great get FWIW.

I would agree that Dugandzic and Good were great signings. Good was very young, and Dugandzic had played well at Victory before he came to us. James Brown is not that young, and has played poorly at Newcastle before jumping on board. There is nothing to me that suggests he won't fall into the same category as the guys previously mentioned.

I reckon Chapman is a great get FWIW.

+1. My concerns and thoughts exactly.

I'd say my challenge to you Tommykins was completely justified. From S2 onwards it is extremely hard to nominate any signing that meets my criteria of having got us into a state of excitement when the signing was announced and then gone on to justify that excitement by performance on the field. In fact you could say that our final position in the league over each of the three seasons S2-S4 reflects that.

It's when you stand back and dissect and examine the performance of Heart in various areas of its activities that you realise why we have ended up where we have.

So far for S5 IMO we have made just two signings/re-signings that people are moderately excited about - Aaron Mooy and Connor Chapman, and of course both have yet to pull on a Heart jersey. 

Yes, we have a few places yet to fill, but IMO we're going to have to make some exciting signings in the weeks ahead to have any chance of seeing the on-field changes that we want.

• Like 1

I'd say my challenge to you Tommykins was completely justified. From S2 onwards it is extremely hard to nominate any signing that meets my criteria of having got us into a state of excitement when the signing was announced and then gone on to justify that excitement by performance on the field. In fact you could say that our final position in the league over each of the three seasons S2-S4 reflects that.

It's when you stand back and dissect and examine the performance of Heart in various areas of its activities that you realise why we have ended up where we have.

So far for S5 IMO we have made just two signings/re-signings that people are moderately excited about - Aaron Mooy and Connor Chapman, and of course both have yet to pull on a Heart jersey. 

Yes, we have a few places yet to fill, but IMO we're going to have to make some exciting signings in the weeks ahead to have any chance of seeing the on-field changes that we want.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'excitement'? It's not the clubs job to get us excited by signings, its there job to create a team which is not only capable of winning a championship this year, but developing enough talent and putting them in a system to play attractive football, for my money several players signed in season 2 were very useful. Not one of us would have been excited about the team put together by WSW, however they went about their football in a very specific way and have done very well. The signings for season 3 and 4 were largely woeful, I agree. 

Furthermore for those of us who came into the A-League recently and have no idea about O/S players/clubs (other than the really big names like Messi) I am not likely to get excited by any visa player signing as I don't know them. And yes you can look up highlights on YouTube but they are not going to put in the mundane things like defensive work, positioning, etc. So for me the excitement grows when I can see the player fit into the team and then become integral to the team's success.

link for those inclined.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-poach-newcastle-jets-talented-duo-connor-chapman-and-james-brown/story-fnk6rlg0-1226914874845

frankly i never rated the guy.  seemed all pace.

only thing i can hope for is that JVS's track record with spotting and training young talent pulls through.