Melbourne Football

Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

Would make a much better pairing with Kisnorbo, brings more athleticism and speed than Wielaert, something that cost us more than a few goals last season.

With any luck we're trying to move Wielaert on and can have Kisnorbo, Chapman, Archibald and 1 more versatile defender on the books allowing us to bring in a quality foreign full back who knows how to defend as well as attack

would love it if he signs.  always looked a decent young centreback.  

for me at least, to sign Chapman and another decent young developing centre back allows the club to get more out of VISA spots.  last season i thought it was a fair waste to dedicate two VISAs as defenders.  

big thing for me tho is that all young players need game time to develop - the club cant afford to fuck it up like with Vrankovic.  admittedly past youth development problems can be traced back to JA, but still would think the club has to be willing to give game time.

Edited by mattyh001

Connor Chapman nears deal of a lifetime

Doug Booth

May 10, 2014

THE son of the chief executive officer of Football Federation Northern Territory, Craig Chapman, is set to sign a lucrative two-year contract with A-League club Melbourne Heart.

Connor Chapman is expected to put pen to paper this weekend, agreeing to leave the Newcastle Jets and join the Heart as they look to rebuild post-Harry Kewell.

Speaking exclusively to the NT News, Chapman Sr said his son, 19, was excited about the prospect of continuing to develop his A-League career.

The 19-year-old central defender, who has spent two-and -a-half seasons with the Jets playing 25 A-League matches after graduating from the AIS, is seen as one of Australia’s most exciting young talents.

To date, Connor has represented Australia at under-17, under-20, and under-23 levels and played in all of Australia’s matches at the 2011 under-17 World Cup and the 2013 under-20 World Cup.

He captained the under-17 team at the 2010 AFC under-16 championship in Uzbekistan and in Australia’s four matches at the 2011 under-17 World Cup in Mexico.

“Heart only have 14 players on their roster at the moment. They are looking at signing another nine players,” Chapman Sr said.

“They have been looking to pry Connor away from the Jets for a number of months now and he is looking forward to pre-season with the Heart in mid-June.”

One exciting aspect of the move is that the Heart squad heads to Manchester City in June for three weeks training with what is increasingly likely to be the new Premier League champions.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/connor-chapman-nears-deal-of-a-lifetime/story-fnk0b28u-1226912762863

Edited by Murfy1

2 years is a decent contract length. Not quite sure what's up with it being called a "lucrative" contract... surely he can't be getting that much? I rate him, but I'd be surprised if he got the junior marquee money, for instance.

I recall some Man City figure (maybe Marwood) casting doubt on the idea of Heart having pre-season in Manchester. It's a pretty good idea however, so hopefully they do go for a few weeks in June, as mentioned in the article above. June doesn't give Heart too much time to build a squad though...

Edited by Murfy1

2 years is a decent contract length. Not quite sure what's up with it being called a "lucrative" contract... surely he can't be getting that much? I rate him, but I'd be surprised if he got the junior marquee money, for instance.

I recall some Man City figure (maybe Marwood) casting doubt on the idea of Heart having pre-season in Manchester. It's a pretty good idea however, so hopefully they do go for a few weeks in June, as mentioned in the article above. June doesn't give Heart too much time to build a squad though...

I thought it was for 6 weeks in July?

Where was that said? I was going off the above article:

One exciting aspect of the move is that the Heart squad heads to Manchester City in June for three weeks training with what is increasingly likely to be the new Premier League champions.

The club is giving us nothing, so this recent scrap of information seems as reliable as anything..

The club is giving us nothing, so this recent scrap of information seems as reliable as anything..

I think it was in a very early Davutovic article just after the take over. So perhaps plans have changed? 

I think it was in a very early Davutovic article just after the take over. So perhaps plans have changed? 

We have to play an FFA Cup match between 29th July and 12th August. That will have some bearing on when the squad can go to Manchester. As will other timetables in Manchester for the City.

My guess is that three weeks spanning mid-June to the first week in July looks about right for us to be there.

• Like 1

I'd honestly be a touch disappointed if he was named youth marquee, I'd suggest they'd be making the deal enticing by the amount of football he's going to get, rather then the money.

Then again, the Junior Marquee is only $150K outside the salary cap, so it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Seriously, where does this leave Ross Archibald? The rumour is he's on another one+one contract as were Mauk and Garuccio (one in the NYL followed by one in the seniors), but he doesn't appear to be in Manchester with the others...are we sure he's on board for next season?

• 2 months later...