Melbourne Football

Running

Shahanga

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

@Shahanga came in at 4.01.36. It's certainly a grind but fairly proud to get my first one done. Course was wet and humid which made it fairly hard.

What really shocked me was just the sheer number of people doing it. Was a big adjustment to have to make. All in all very happy with the experience 

Congratulations. Good effort.

Well you've done it now, joined the 1% of people who'll run a marathon! It's a great feeling.

I knew Berlin was popular but never bothered to look up the field size before. 40k plus? Wow. Not sure I'd enjoy 42 k of practicing my side step though.  

10 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

@Shahanga came in at 4.01.36. It's certainly a grind but fairly proud to get my first one done. Course was wet and humid which made it fairly hard.

What really shocked me was just the sheer number of people doing it. Was a big adjustment to have to make. All in all very happy with the experience 

Top work mate! Is it a challenging course?

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Sunny. F all shade.

was quite hot near the end. Added to the discomfort that's for sure. I saw a few medical cases. Just glad I didn't join them as one.

Never great to see, in Berlin I saw one lady go down about 10m infront of me. My housemate did it today. He told me he had a lady in front who had a bit of a toilet case too. 

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Has anyone run around the trails surrounding Salzburg? Will be there in a few weeks and plan to create a half marathon for myself to complete. Also a great way to see a lot of the country side. So far these are the trials that stand out...

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/trail-running/fuschlseeregion/osterhorn-runde/103094473/

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/trail-running/salzburg-and-surroundings/glasenbach--gaisberg--glasenbach/105791061/

Interested in anyone's thoughts....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Has anyone run around the trails surrounding Salzburg? Will be there in a few weeks and plan to create a half marathon for myself to complete. Also a great way to see a lot of the country side. So far these are the trials that stand out...

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/trail-running/fuschlseeregion/osterhorn-runde/103094473/

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/trail-running/salzburg-and-surroundings/glasenbach--gaisberg--glasenbach/105791061/

Interested in anyone's thoughts....

Have you done much trail running before? It is a lot more intense than road running. I did a bit in the lead up to Berlin around Warburton and 10km on a trail feels like half a marathon 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Have you done much trail running before? It is a lot more intense than road running. I did a bit in the lead up to Berlin around Warburton and 10km on a trail feels like half a marathon 

I do road running, not really much trail running, so this is good to know. Looking at the elevation of those trails I can see exactly what you mean. Although on that website they indicate the difficulty of the runs but I'm not sure if they're over or under stating how difficult they are. However I'm willing to give it a go though, even if I have to break it up and do something like 4km run/1 km walk. 

Do you have any recommendations on these trails or another option around that area? 

Edited by n i k o

17 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Huge! How did it go? Was this an up or down year? 

Down 

still in RSA, walking like a penguin (quad pain).

Totally awesome, brutal, testing, emotional. I beat the buzzer by less than 5 min after running dawn to dusk. 

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

I do road running, not really much trail running, so this is good to know. Looking at the elevation of those trails I can see exactly what you mean. Although on that website they indicate the difficulty of the runs but I'm not sure if they're over or under stating how difficult they are. However I'm willing to give it a go though, even if I have to break it up and do something like 4km run/1 km walk. 

Do you have any recommendations on these trails or another option around that area? 

I add 30% on the distance if it’s a trail to compare to road.

walk the hills, at least initially 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Down 

still in RSA, walking like a penguin (quad pain).

Totally awesome, brutal, testing, emotional. I beat the buzzer by less than 5 min after running dawn to dusk. 

I add 30% on the distance if it’s a trail to compare to road.

walk the hills, at least initially 

Ok cheers. Ill keep that in mind when I'm over there. 

Wouldn't mind getting some km in on some trails before I go...anyone know any really good ones here in Melbourne? I used to run the 1000 steps regularly years back so know that area pretty well...

Edited by n i k o

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Ok cheers. Ill keep that in mind when I'm over there. 

Wouldn't mind getting some km in on some trails before I go...anyone know any really good ones here in Melbourne? I used to run the 1000 steps regularly years back so know that area pretty well...

Great first timers trail just past Belgrave, start at grants picnic ground and just keep going. In most places its fairly wide so it is good for getting used to the elevation shifts. 

• Like 1

@thisphantomfortress @Shahanga

Ended up heading to Sherbrooke Forest to do the trail run starting at Grants Picnic Park. Clocked up 7.5km with a total elevation gain of about 250 metres, ran the whole thing and pulled up pretty good. Not big numbers by any stretch of the imagination but two of the very steep hills were a good work out. Was also about 40 second off my average road pace per km so didn't do too bad. Will be upping the distance over the next few weeks and hope to be hitting about 12-15km before I head overseas. 

Btw awesome spot to run, and the cafe there has an awesome egg and bacon roll to finish off the whole experience.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

So how have you gone finding some running buddies @n i k o?

I sort of thought you live in the northern burbs? If so I’d recommend the Lalor Run Club, who have some great people and a wide range of abilities/paces 

I've got mates that run but because of schedules I more often than not run on my own. Nah I'm not from the north, I'm out in the east. I went for a few runs on my trip but Croatian food and drinking got the best of me in the end. It's been up and down since but I'm slowly getting more regular runs and want onto get back to trail running again once I've got my fitness up. How's your running going? Where've you been recently? 

• 4 months later...