Melbourne Football

Running

Shahanga

Ok, a thread for all the runners out there.

I have just committed to making a comeback after completely losing my mojo over the last 2 months.  Basically lost all desire due to a combination of: a shocking cold that wouldn't go away, disenchantment after training my arse off for the marathon last year but running a very disappointing time and finding work sucking up more and more of my time.

Just went for a little 5k today.  The start of getting going again.

Started running properly around the start of 2013.
Got to my peak around the start of this year, but destroyed my ankle playing soccer, had surgery three weeks ago, so I'm on hold now.

Not sure whether I'm going to get back into it.
Might take up cycling instead.

Edited by Baresi

Did 5 k on treadmill after long break today. Almost vomited my lungs during first 10 min then again after I saw how slow I was.... Depressing

But must persist !

How slow is "slow", if you don't mind me asking?

When I started I could barely run 1k, lol... Time was the last of my worries.

Did 5 k on treadmill after long break today. Almost vomited my lungs during first 10 min then again after I saw how slow I was.... Depressing

But must persist !

When I started I could barely run 1k, lol... Time was the last of my worries. 5km in 31 min = jog

:(

But must persist !

When I started I could barely run 1k, lol... Time was the last of my worries. 5km in 31 min = jog

:(

I wouldn't say that's slow.

25-30min in the supposed average 5km run time, so for a first run in a while that's not too bad.

My first 5km took me 52 minutes.

Before I did my ankle I was doing them in 22.

Edited by Baresi

But must persist !

When I started I could barely run 1k, lol... Time was the last of my worries. 5km in 31 min = jog :(

I wouldn't say that's slow.

25-30min in the supposed average 5km run time, so for a first run in a while that's not too bad.

Before I did my ankle I was doing them in 22. My first 5km was close to 50 min and I only got there because I was being shown by a young person who was laughing at my effort.

As I got into it my best was around 23 min, btw I was never a crazy serious runner.

Side question, can any one recommend decent running watch with few bells and whistles like heart rate, gps, blah blah blah.

There are lots of them on the market but so hard to pick one.

Nothing over $300 pls ;)

When i started running again in my 40s I had to do the couch to 5k programme in order to get to 5k- I was so unfit i was only good for about 200m of running first up.  Took a year before I ran my first half marathon.

Pace is relative.  Even good club runners get absolutely wiped by the elites.  My main goal pace wise is to be able to keep up with my friends when they are cruising.  Unfortunately this is harder than it sounds (I either need to train harder or get new friends!)

As to GPS's when my old one died i struggled to find what I wanted at a non- robbery price.  Eventually i went for a Garmni Forerunner 410 which I don't mind, but it wasn't cheap and has a lot of functions i can't even be bothered finding out about.

• Like 2

When i started running again in my 40s I had to do the couch to 5k programme in order to get to 5k- I was so unfit i was only good for about 200m of running first up.  Took a year before I ran my first half marathon.

Me too.

I'm only 21, but I've always been very overweight, lol.

I've played indoor regularly for the past 10 years, so I'm fit for my weight, but only in short bursts; I couldn't enduro-run.

When I first started running (for the sake of running, not in a sport) I was maxing out at 500m, but eventually did a C25K also, and then the Bridge-to-10k.

But must persist !

When I started I could barely run 1k, lol... Time was the last of my worries. 5km in 31 min = jog :( I wouldn't say that's slow.

Before I did my ankle I was doing them in 22. My first 5km was close to 50 min and I only got there because I was being shown by a young person who was laughing at my effort.

As I got into it my best was around 23 min, btw I was never a crazy serious runner.

Side question, can any one recommend decent running watch with few bells and whistles like heart rate, gps, blah blah blah.

There are lots of them on the market but so hard to pick one.

Nothing over $300 pls ;)

A lot of good sports watches out there. I went for one of the nike sports watches though just for ease of use and simplicity. And for $200 I couldn't really find anything that much better without having to spend another $100. Gets my tick of approval.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forecast for Sunday - 29.  That's nice you say, good beer drinking weather.

Well I am running the Melbourne Marathon (unless i drop out).  I ran Wangaratta in that temp 2 years ago (having trained through summer and been acclimatised) and it was decidedly ugly.  At least its a pretty early start, but I'll be plus 4 hours so the temp will seriously climb for most of the journey.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Running is no good. Fucks your lower back, knees, ankles and hips. Stick to biking, swimming, weights and regular gay sex.

Switched long distance roadwork out for swimming  months ago and I ended up having far less restricted hip mobility and hip flexor issues. Still big on sprints and middle distance running however, as there's far less impact on the joints.

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm doing the Berlin Marathon in September. I mostly do it because it is a hobby of my dads and it is something I can do with him. I don't mind it but do have to take extra care with injuries compared to gym.

Good on you. Berlin is tough to get into, how'd you manage that?

As to running being bad for "this or that", it's mostly bullshit. Running doesn't bugger your knees or back, but if they are buggered already, you can't run.

Im running Great Ocean Road in 2 weeks myself.

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm doing the Berlin Marathon in September. I mostly do it because it is a hobby of my dads and it is something I can do with him. I don't mind it but do have to take extra care with injuries compared to gym.

Drug Mule alibi @Embee

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Good on you. Berlin is tough to get into, how'd you manage that?

As to running being bad for "this or that", it's mostly bullshit. Running doesn't bugger your knees or back, but if they are buggered already, you can't run.

Im running Great Ocean Road in 2 weeks myself.

The old man had a business connection and they sorted out some corporate spots for us. Took some wheeling and dealing 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 11:20 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

The old man had a business connection and they sorted out some corporate spots for us. Took some wheeling and dealing 

You going to be in Munich at all? I can provide non-dodgy Bayern Munchen tickets

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Haha my work sponsor it. It's too close to Berlin so I'm giving it a miss. I'm gunna do the run melbourne half, you doing it?

I'm doing Melbourne, but not Run Melbourne.

Yeah Backing up from Berlin is something only the hardened nutters would do (or the naive). Closest  I've done marathons is about 14 weeks. One day I'll give really close a go- maybe next year 

• 2 months later...